VOGONS

First post, by dada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all, I've got a question for anyone who has a working CGA monochrome monitor setup.
I used to have this as a kid, and still have the monitor (but nothing that connects to it), but at the moment I'm unable to test this myself.

When I run DOSBox-X with cga_mono as the graphics mode, it looks like this:

UlF2CCu.png

However, I remember it looking more like this (this is an edited build):

dEEcpdK.png

In fact, I seem to remember that basically most if not all shades of green were identical, with things like the text at the top not having any darker shade in it at all, but I can't be 100% sure about that anymore. I do remember at the very least that they were very close together and, unless I really turned down the brightness knob, the brightest color was pure white.

So I'm wondering, what's closer to how a real CGA monochrome should look? Are there some good reference photos I could use?
I'm planning to submit at least a suggestion to the DOSBox-X repo with some explanation, or my patch for the above if needed, but unfortunately since I can't test with real hardware right now I'd like to be sure about what it's supposed to accurately look like first.
Thanks for any suggestions!

edit:

I'm doing some more experimenting, and the more I think about it, the more it seems the "one shade of green, one shade of white" idea is what I had back in the day, albeit with a bit more CRT scanlines.

oQmxp61.png
j5xUV1T.png
k32tIbM.png

Here's one of the few photos I have left of my monitor, albeit without a color test that shows any other shades unfortunately.

YZY9yXH.jpg

Reply 1 of 5, by kdr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dada wrote on 2022-01-18, 16:07:

Here's one of the few photos I have left of my monitor, albeit without a color test that shows any other shades unfortunately.

That photo clearly shows an MDA/Hercules text mode (9x14 font) so I'm guessing that you had a Hercules (or compatible) mono card and used a TSR such as SIMCGA. You get two "colours": normal and high intensity. Depending on how the monitor is adjusted, on a green phosphor CRT the high intensity can look somewhat white in colour.

Here's a bunch of photos showing what CGA games look like using various CGA simulators:
http://www.dosdays.co.uk/topics/cga_simulator … or_hercules.php

Reply 2 of 5, by Benedikt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

MDA monitors could also be driven with an EGA card. The result was a 640x350 pixel mode with three shades, including black.
It could also have been a dual-frequency screen, though. That would indeed support CGA graphics.

Reply 3 of 5, by dada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh wow, I'm actually really surprised by your answers. I always assumed that it was a CGA adapter, because that's what people always told me it was as a kid, and I had no reason to doubt them.

The thing is, though, we actually had a Hercules based computer as well, and that one was quite different from our "CGA". They both had the same games, but our "CGA" did not need to run HGCIBM.COM to play games whereas the Hercules one did. I also ran Leisure Suit Larry on both computers and the second one was clearly the Hercules version, and the first one was clearly not. That much I can remember clearly, and I also know they had different fonts. I can't deny that the font in my photo is wrong for CGA though, comparing it with the int10 fonts. Maybe Tulip, the manufacturers of the computer, installed a different font? At the very least, I know that our "CGA" worked out of the box with everything without the need for simulators.

Looking online, it seems Tulip used what's called a MAGDA (Monochrome and Graphics Display Adapter) card, and this online manual claims it has a "DGA" card that can matches both Hercules and CGA card features. I feel it has to be some variant of CGA in 4 color mode with the regular cyan/magenta merged into a single green color, at least on this monitor (a BM7502/00G).

Maybe this look is unique to these kinds of cards?

Reply 4 of 5, by Benedikt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does the system still exist, i.e. can you find out which type of video card is installed?
There were indeed a few any-standard-on-any-monitor cards that could display CGA graphics on an MDA monitor.
For instance, ATI had several in its "Wonder" series of cards.

Reply 5 of 5, by kdr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Many of the turbo XT clones had graphics adapters that did both MDA and CGA modes, and were equipped with monochrome displays that could switch between the MDA and CGA frequencies, so you'd get a nice crisp MDA style text mode at the DOS prompt and normal CGA graphics (320x200 with 4 levels of mono intensity) when playing games. No need for CGA emulation TSR because the card's hardware supported CGA directly. The cards could autoswitch between MDA and CGA based on which BIOS video mode was requested. From a sampling of 5 mono CRTs that I've acquired, 2 of them are dual frequency MDA+CGA and 3 of them are MDA only, so it seems the multifreq mono displays were relatively common.

In CGA mode, the card is providing RGBI colours on the video connector, but the monochrome CRT is translating them into 16 shades of grey. So it's up to the display as to how it maps each CGA colour to a monochrome shade. (Also - to figure out if you have a dual freq mono display, check if the RGB pins connect to something inside the display...)

As a bonus - you get extremely crisp scanlines when displaying CGA's 200 lines on a mono display intended for MDA's 350 lines.