VOGONS

First post, by PepsiOtaku

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm using DOSbox 0.70 with D-Fend v3 beta Frontend.

I'm having problems running the VGA remake of Leisure Suit Larry 1 in 256 color mode. These are my current install settings. I got the current VGA option from a patch here.
I'd like to be able to just use the "EGA/VGA with RGB monitor" option to run the game in 256 color mode, but it doesn't work and runs it in 16 color mode.

install_000.png
install_001.png

Here's what the game looks like using "VGA or IBM PS2 - 256 colors."

sciduv_000.png

Any suggestions on how to get this displaying properly in 256 color mode? I haven't found anything about it online. Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 21, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would suggest that you are using a pirate copy of LSL1 with a corrupt VGA320.DRV file or some other file. However, in the chance that you are using a geniune copy of the floppy disks (the CD compilations do not use that Install program), try the IBM PS2 Models 25 & 30 selection. Even though it says it isn't supported, it should still work, assuming your graphics mode is set to VGA in the front end.

Reply 3 of 21, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tested an abandonware downloaded copy and it works just fine using DOSBox 0.70, so PepsiOtaku, your copy must be corrupted or something.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 4 of 21, by LoneLines

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You claim you replaced a file. Why did you do that? LSL1 remake supports VGA from the start...

LoneLines list of workarounds for various games in DOSBox:
http://ADogsBox.jellofishi.com

Reply 5 of 21, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually, I have a store bought version of the remake that is fully functional except the VGA drivers were never included on the disk. Since I later bought the compilation CD, I never bothered with playing around with it. It may work if I copied the VGA driver from the CD version and used it with this floppy version, but I just don't know. My best guess is that when they made the remake they released the VGA version and an EGA version. Personally, this doesn't make sense to me, as the VGA version includes an EGA driver with it anyways.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 6 of 21, by Wintermute

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know about the remake from Leisure Suit Larry 1, but I have seen a EGA-only version of Kings Quest V. Copying over a VGA-Driver (which was not included of course) from another game produced exactly the same strange sort of picture as seen in this thread.

So I guess that PepsiOtaku also just has an EGA-only version of the game which simply can't run in 256 colours.

Reply 7 of 21, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My best guess is that when they made the remake they released the VGA version and an EGA version. Personally, this doesn't make sense to me, as the VGA version includes an EGA driver with it anyways

Why not exactly? Some people didn't have VGA monitors back then.

I don't know about the remake from Leisure Suit Larry 1, but I have seen a EGA-only version of Kings Quest V. Copying over a VGA-Driver (which was not included of course) from another game produced exactly the same strange sort of picture as seen in this thread.

So I guess that PepsiOtaku also just has an EGA-only version of the game which simply can't run in 256 colours.

Your logic is fuzzy 😀

It can't be an EGA version if by default it had a VGA driver included.

I'd like to see more screenshots before I can say anything definitive though.

- Spike

Reply 8 of 21, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think you misread:

Copying over a VGA-Driver (which was not included of course) from another game produced exactly the same strange sort of picture as seen in this thread.

For those Sierra games, there are EGA-only versions, VGA-only versions and VGA version that have an EGA dithering driver. (Not all of them exist for every game). I have on my shelf:

• King's Quest 5: VGA & EGA
  • Leisure Suit Larry 1 Remake: EGA only
  • Leisure Suit Larry 5: VGA only
Last edited by Kippesoep on 2007-03-22, 01:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 21, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe so, but how then can you copy overa driver which isn't included?

And, aren't you SQ2VGA Kippesoep? If so, then where the heck did you vanish to? 😀

- Spike

Reply 10 of 21, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think you misread again:

Copying over a VGA-Driver (which was not included of course) from another game produced exactly the same strange sort of picture as seen in this thread.

"over from" (as in: from there), not just "over" (as in: overwrite)

That's me. Still working on the game. So little time.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 11 of 21, by LoneLines

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If indeed you have an EGA only version of LSL1 Remake I understand it is extremely rare 😉 (at least according to some web site I saw)

Reply 12 of 21, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Spikey:
I said I couldn't understand it because the VGA version of the LSL1 remake I have has an EGA driver allowing it to be played on an EGA card instead of a VGA card. If the full VGA version is capable of being played on an EGA machine, why would they then release a second version that is EGA only? From reading some of the other posts, though, it seems that maybe the original VGA release (mine is a compilation re-release,) may not have had an EGA version. This could be why the 2 releases.

LoneLines:
Yep, have it and have tested it (installed and played a bit.) Looks ugly, IMHO, though. Doesn't give a VGA option in the setup program. Haven't tried copying over VGA drivers from the CD I have, and don't really plan on it either. I can send you a pic of the box if you want 😀 Though you'll have to wait till I get my main computer back up and running, my backup system doesn't have USB. Sort of curious as to the web site you are referring to as well, if you can remember it 😀

Feeding Dragon

Reply 13 of 21, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some Sierra games had VGA and EGA separate releases, back when VGA was new (1991 and early 1992). After that, VGA/EGA was both in one. LSL1VGA was one of the former, where the EGA and VGA releases were separate. All EGA releases of games of that time were understandably less popular and are now collectors' items, funnily enough.

Dragon, can you upload a picture of your CD?

Kippesoep:

"over from" (as in: from there), not just "over" (as in: overwrite)

Well, that was pretty damn confusing to say the least! 😀

Either way, it's still illogical to assume copying a VGA driver to an EGA game's folder will yield VGA results.

That's me. Still working on the game. So little time.

If you have some of your 'little time' available, can you email me regarding SQ2VGA? I run the Janitorial Times web forum (SQ.net's forum), and would love to hear news, as have many many of my SQ friends (including Frans) over the years. Even just for the sake of it, nothing like releases dates/etc obviously.

Regards,
- Spike

Reply 14 of 21, by Wintermute

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Spikey wrote:

Well, that was pretty damn confusing to say the least! 😀

Hm, didn't think it was that confusing. 😉

By the way the thread starter starter itself wrote:

PepsiOtaku wrote:

I got the current VGA option from a patch here.

So he couldn't choose VGA at first - obviously because there was no driver for it. 😉

Spikey wrote:

Either way, it's still illogical to assume copying a VGA driver to an EGA game's folder will yield VGA results.

No, not really. Many DOS games especially adventure games (like Sierra and Lucas Arts ones) had the same data files for each version and just different graphic, sound and input drivers which "translated" the data for the specific device. Even the data files between the different computer types (PC, Atari ST, Amiga) were often the same.

So it is not very far fetched to try out copying some drivers from another game, in fact it worked for some. I finally got digital sound working in Space Quest 3 by copying over the sound driver from Kings Quest 1 EGA.
But obviously the data files from the EGA and VGA versions of the earlier Sierra VGA games are slightly different and incompatible - in later Sierra games this was not the case, as they distributed combined versions.

Last edited by Wintermute on 2007-03-22, 16:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 21, by LoneLines

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Wintermute:
There's digital sound in space quest 3? I remember it only had adlib/mt32 etc. (music only)
Is there actual digital sound present in the game?

Reply 16 of 21, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's Roger Wilco saying (or rather: thinking) "Where am I" in the intro sequence. It plays back on the Tandy sound driver and NewRisingSun's modified SB driver.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 17 of 21, by Wintermute

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
LoneLines wrote:

@Wintermute:
There's digital sound in space quest 3? I remember it only had adlib/mt32 etc. (music only)
Is there actual digital sound present in the game?

Yes, as Kippesoep said the "Where am I?" sentence and some extra sound effects (like the closing of the shuttle door in the beginning). Actually many of the sound effects are just digitized versions of the related MT 32 sounds but they nevertheless sound great (and much better than the adlib version).
Just use the driver from Kings Quest 1 Remake or the modified driver Kippsoep mentioned. The difference is that they support different IRQs for the Soundblaster (although at the moment I don't remember exactly which ones)

Reply 18 of 21, by LoneLines

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow, sounds cool 😀
I think I have KQ1 remake in the Roberta Williams collection... will check it out.

Does the music still play though (adlib or Roland or the likes?)