VOGONS

new old computers

Topic actions

First post, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Or old new(er). Your core 2 duo/quad. Atom such and such. Your socket 1366/115n xeon appurtenance. How do you feel about them? Most of us have 1 or more (or many more, you little hoarding so-and-so) hanging around. I have a bunch, I guess, but 1 in particular, my Asus x205t atom based sub notebook, has proved to be a disappointment very recently, make that a royal pita. I really never used it much,bought new late in 2014, downloaded Win10 say 6 months after I got it, immediately forgot the password, so it lay dormant until I discovered the few linux' that supported 32 bit uefi (Fedora,Bionic Puppy, ...). I don't even think it has usb 3, Firefox locks up too often for comfort. Fedora is OK, but is buggy as all get out. The LG phone I recently lost was a better performer.

So these newer old machines, are they really worth it? Should we give up on computers after about 5 years, if that. I realize there are single purposes to which an old unit can be devoted. But I don't care about that. It was once said older computers were only good for word processing, web surfing. But these days they don't even seem to do those tasks acceptably.

Reply 2 of 50, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My newest computer is 10 years old, and still good enough for everything except Windows 11 (which I may install at some point anyway, will just have to remember manual updates every Tuesday). Only parts that are newer are SSDs and DDR4 RAM (the latter will probably be upgraded soon, the SSDs can wait a bit, as I don't really NEED NVMe 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 3 of 50, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anything with ddr4 won't fall into the new/old category as I see it. Chances are it's an lga1151 core series chipset, or an AMD equivalent. Not bleeding edge by any means. But not old. Heck the quad cpu lga2011 mobo I'm waiting on only supports ddr3. No one can call that old by any means.

Reply 6 of 50, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a skylake i7 6700K, and will probably be good for another 10 years (though I hope to have a new Ryzen system by then)

I'm more into vintage PCs and parts 😀

Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 7 of 50, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chris2021 wrote on 2022-01-24, 23:11:
Anders- wrote on 2022-01-24, 23:09:

Intel 2600 here...

What does 2600 denote?

Intel 2600 is a Sandy Bridge i7

Reply 8 of 50, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The ASUS laptop you refer to is throw-away hardware, like all of it's netbook contemporaries from that time. It really isn't useful for anything at this point, except the most light-weight Linux distro. As for "older-new machines", there's plenty of life left in old desktops and notebooks, but the hardware has to be solid to begin with, so you can build on it with upgraded RAM, storage, and whatever else is applicable. For example, the Q6600 Pentium from the mid-2000's is still held in high-regard and many operate retro-gaming desktops that use it, albeit with maxed out RAM, SSDs, and even updated GPUs, as the PSU and case allow.

Reply 9 of 50, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Netbooks was biggest waste of money and resources to make them. Boggles the mind when you think about that now in these days of eco era.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 11 of 50, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2022-01-24, 23:16:

The ASUS laptop you refer to is throw-away hardware, like all of it's netbook contemporaries from that time. It really isn't useful for anything at this point, except the most light-weight Linux distro. As for "older-new machines", there's plenty of life left in old desktops and notebooks, but the hardware has to be solid to begin with, so you can build on it with upgraded RAM, storage, and whatever else is applicable. For example, the Q6600 Pentium from the mid-2000's is still held in high-regard and many operate retro-gaming desktops that use it, albeit with maxed out RAM, SSDs, and even updated GPUs, as the PSU and case allow.

I paid 100$ for it tgiving day. Can't expect the world can we? I needed something quick as both of my Turion based lts died. Win 8.1 ran well. I was delving into web app development and it was ideal for something like that. Screen is still nice and bright. There's a trick to get lubuntu to run. It may work. Fedora is a bit of a dumpster fire.

Funny, the atom in my atomic pis are faster. Perhaps I could shoehorn o e into this thing.

Last edited by chris2021 on 2022-01-25, 00:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 50, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
debs3759 wrote on 2022-01-24, 23:16:
chris2021 wrote on 2022-01-24, 23:11:
Anders- wrote on 2022-01-24, 23:09:

Intel 2600 here...

What does 2600 denote?

I still have a 2600k PC that is currently running as a MC server, its been at 4.8ghz since the day I got it and has never missed a beat, I love that little CPU and regard it as one of the best CPUs Intel has made. Nothing after it really comes close, tho the 4790k I got a few years later is also a damn fine CPU.

Reply 14 of 50, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anders- wrote on 2022-01-25, 00:24:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-01-25, 00:07:

I still have a 2600k PC that is currently running as a MC server, its been at 4.8ghz since the day I got it and has never missed a beat, I love that little CPU and regard it as one of the best CPUs Intel has made. Nothing after it really comes close, tho the 4790k I got a few years later is also a damn fine CPU.

Performance wise this chip was a huge step up. Awesome overclocker too. Ivy and the non-soldered heatspreader was so-so, but I guess that comes with the tick-tock development style.

Can't say I keep track of the more modern intel cpu's, but I doubt there has since been such a big improvement from one gen to the next?

I wish I still had my 2700K. I got it to 5500.95MHz stable with chilled water cooling. https://hwbot.org/submission/2232610_debs3759 … 00k_5500.95_mhz

Only hardware I regret selling 😀

Reply 16 of 50, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anders- wrote on 2022-01-25, 00:24:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-01-25, 00:07:

Performance wise this chip was a huge step up. Awesome overclocker too. Ivy and the non-soldered heatspreader was so-so, but I guess that comes with the tick-tock development style.

Can't say I keep track of the more modern intel cpu's, but I doubt there has since been such a big improvement from one gen to the next?

11th gen to 12th ...11th gen was the 🤣 cow generation from Intel, 10th was faster and had more cores, then Alder Lake 12th gen came and its a power house due to the new non Skylake Uarc and better process. Intel really shit the bed with all the Skylake refreshes mostly due to the incompetence of their old CEO and failures with their fab process, they now have an engineer back at the helm and have sorted out their fabrication woes and things are looking like they will have to keep innovating to keep up with AMD.

Amazing what competition can do huh.

Reply 17 of 50, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My main machine is pretty old and I got it for $10 a few years ago (Thinkcentre i5-4570, 16GB DDR3 1600, 512Gb SSD). For web browsing, email, etc. it works just fine. I added the SSD since I got it with the HD removed.

Anyway a new machine would be much faster but if the old one is reliable why get a new one? It used to be older machines just could not cut it because of low RAM and single or dual cores but that was a long time ago.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 18 of 50, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought a 10$ pc recently. It's a sff HP with a puny Athlon ii x2 b24. It's fine, but I should have paid the extra 20$ and got the (I think) z230/240, i5 something something. Now it wouldn't have made all that much sense, because xeons were found in hp sff computers as much as core series. So I'd look to upgrade. But nice xeons aren't dirt cheap necessarily. So it's probably best to find the right chip in order to save money. Love HP sff's. Light and tidy. If I had to own only 1 desktop computer, I'd look for a new one and be happy.

The 6005 pro I did buy was well worth the 10$ though as it came with a seemingly good working 2tb hard disk.

Reply 19 of 50, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chris2021 wrote on 2022-01-25, 05:52:

I bought a 10$ pc recently. It's a sff HP with a puny Athlon ii x2 b24. It's fine, but I should have paid the extra 20$ and got the (I think) z230/240, i5 something something. Now it wouldn't have made all that much sense, because xeons were found in hp sff computers as much as core series. So I'd look to upgrade. But nice xeons aren't dirt cheap necessarily. So it's probably best to find the right chip in order to save money. Love HP sff's. Light and tidy. If I had to own only 1 desktop computer, I'd look for a new one and be happy.

The 6005 pro I did buy was well worth the 10$ though as it came with a seemingly good working 2tb hard disk.

That Athlon might be able to be bumped up to a Athlon quad for a tenner or maybe a Phenom depending on HP bios support. Def no 125 watt chips but there are 95 watt 6 core and 4 core Phenom ii's, and a bunch of 65watt Quads as well.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1