VOGONS

DOS32AWE - DOS/4G compatible DOS Extender with Sound Blaster AWEUTIL MIDI synthesizer support for Protected mode,VIASB

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 220 of 286, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
georgel wrote on 2021-12-24, 21:26:

None of the AWEUTIL versions requested has been provided by user arvid...

The definition of the term "request" is "to politely ask for something".

definition_of_request.png
Filename
definition_of_request.png
File size
34.32 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

You requested v1.11. Cool. He responded that he no longer has it (though I note he did try to help by pointing you towards a possible driver pack - shall we also formally note, then, for the record: "The suggestion user georgel was pointed towards by user arvid was ignored"..??).

Anyhow, to set the record straight - after quite reasonably concluding that user arvid no longer has v1.11, you then factually told him he "could upload V1.33". And yes, I'm sure he "could". Not a request, however.

georgel wrote on 2021-12-10, 15:57:

You could upload V1.33 too...

Therefore, user arvid answered all of your 1 requests, quite fairly. Good then. All reputations intact. Thanks for letting us know.

And thanks for taking the time to come in and contribute some knowledge, arvid. Some of us, at least, appreciate it.

Reply 222 of 286, by Arvid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
georgel wrote on 2021-12-26, 10:55:

Shreddoc, I guess you meant you are the only one who wanted to thank arvid for his ignorance 😀 Are you sure you are not the same person behind both accounts?

You are being weirdly confrontational here, also I can assure you that me and Shreddoc are two entirely different people.
In case you are wondering the reason that I have not uploaded the V1.33 of aweutil was because I left for work shortly after doing the last bit of testing and I ´m still away from home.

Thank you for the support Shreddoc 😀

This will be the last from me in this thread.

Reply 223 of 286, by georgel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And thanks for taking the time to come in and contribute some knowledge, arvid. Some of us, at least, appreciate it.

Arvid, the only minor contribution you could have done to this thread hadn't been done. Instead you just downloaded and used what was readily available by me as a product and my advice later on in this topic helped you to resolve your problem, other forum members also tried helping you. No knowledge, whatsoever you provided. That's why the shreddoc's advocacy, and English language lessons with depicted screenshots were too much, not only out of place.

Reply 225 of 286, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Arvid wrote on 2021-12-26, 12:40:

You are being weirdly confrontational here

...and almost everywhere else.

georgel wrote on 2021-12-26, 14:59:

No knowledge, whatsoever you provided.

Incorrect; he helpfully informed you which versions do not work well with your software. That's why you wanted those versions in the first place (but failed to clearly and politely request them, then wait until he had a chance to respond). That attitude and your repeated character assassinations against others really aren't helpful.

Reply 226 of 286, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
640K!enough wrote on 2021-12-27, 04:50:
...and almost everywhere else. […]
Show full quote
Arvid wrote on 2021-12-26, 12:40:

You are being weirdly confrontational here

...and almost everywhere else.

georgel wrote on 2021-12-26, 14:59:

No knowledge, whatsoever you provided.

Incorrect; he helpfully informed you which versions do not work well with your software. That's why you wanted those versions in the first place (but failed to clearly and politely request them, then wait until he had a chance to respond). That attitude and your repeated character assassinations against others really aren't helpful.

Agreed - @georgel these childish behaviours of yours have gone on long enough. Every time someone makes a comment that isn't to your liking, you throw your toys out if the cot.
So, please treat other people with respect in the same manner that you would like to be treated. Unless, you would like to be attacked and belittled.

Reply 227 of 286, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wouldn't be too hard on georgel. He has a direct and prickly affect. But it's also not an uncommon temperament in the sorts of people who dive in head first into rewriting low level drivers/software libraries. Sometimes you are just obligated to take the good with the bad, and choose to engage with them, or not, at your own discretion.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 229 of 286, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Namrok wrote on 2021-12-27, 18:02:

I wouldn't be too hard on georgel. He has a direct and prickly affect. But it's also not an uncommon temperament in the sorts of people who dive in head first into rewriting low level drivers/software libraries. Sometimes you are just obligated to take the good with the bad, and choose to engage with them, or not, at your own discretion.

None of that justifies treating people he doesn't know like dirt, attacking them or trying to discredit them or their work. I admit that technical people can be abrasive and/or awkward at times, but I have known some really bright people, and have never seen this sort of behaviour, especially when the person in question is actually wrong. There are decent ways to treat others, acceptable ways to ask for favours, and most people understand the concept of an apology when they behave badly.

When someone spends their own free time to help find problems, a little politeness, appreciation and acknowledgement go a long way. We're on a public forum; my understanding was that they exist for discussion, interaction, learning from and helping each other. If a person lashes out at everyone at one time or another and is absolutely always "right", what is the point of participating? That's all I have to say on the matter; it's not likely to help anyway.

Reply 230 of 286, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
640K!enough wrote on 2021-12-28, 04:48:
Namrok wrote on 2021-12-27, 18:02:

None of that justifies treating people he doesn't know like dirt, attacking them or trying to discredit them or their work. I admit that technical people can be abrasive and/or awkward at times, but I have known some really bright people, and have never seen this sort of behaviour, especially when the person in question is actually wrong. There are decent ways to treat others, acceptable ways to ask for favours, and most people understand the concept of an apology when they behave badly.

When someone spends their own free time to help find problems, a little politeness, appreciation and acknowledgement go a long way. We're on a public forum; my understanding was that they exist for discussion, interaction, learning from and helping each other. If a person lashes out at everyone at one time or another and is absolutely always "right", what is the point of participating? That's all I have to say on the matter; it's not likely to help anyway.

+1

Reply 231 of 286, by Maxx1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently successfully built a simmcon w/ 28MB RAM for my AWE64 Value.

Also, I modified my favorite Bennet Ng's AnotherGS v2.3 to fit in the simmcon RAM (28MB), available here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QjFYfyeOe-V7 … iew?usp=sharing.

Under Windows 98SE, everything works fine and the sound upgrade is incredible, but in DOS is another story...

Does anybody know how to *properly* convert it to SBK format?
Some quick attempts with Awave studio produced unsatisfactory results...

Also, when attempting to load large SBK soundfonts (e.g. Masterpiece.sbk) with AWEUTIL /EM:GM under DOS, my system freezes/crashes/restarts, even without memory managers and minimal memory setup.
Smaller SBKs (<8MB) work fine.
Is there a solution to this? (I believe another forum user reported the same behaviour).

Thank you in advance.

Reply 233 of 286, by AirIntake

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
georgel wrote on 2022-01-24, 18:52:

You are free to debug, reverse, waste your time and effort and write your own utilities to solve your problems. They are not mine nor do I intend to provide further development on my projects published in this forum. You know why.

Thank you very much for all the work you've done!

Casio BE-300 Advancement Society alumni

Reply 234 of 286, by Maxx1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You are free to debug, reverse, waste your time and effort and write your own utilities to solve your problems. They are not mine nor do I intend to provide further development on my projects published in this forum. You know why.

The requests were addressed to all the forum users, not just you.
Of course, helping others is not compulsory...

Reply 235 of 286, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

🤣

Reply 237 of 286, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-01-24, 20:41:

🤣

Considering his attitude on several threads. 🤣

kolderman wrote on 2022-01-24, 20:59:

There is a remarkable amount of grouchiness on a forum dedicated to the relatively jovial subject of playing 20-30 year old PC games.

That's one reason why I'm not posting much lately.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 238 of 286, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Social schisms aren't uncommon in the wild mixing pot that is the internet. Pandemic blues and society exhaustion are also big factors which sap tolerance and patience from us all. I regret anything negative I have said in the past.

Everyone must make a conscious effort to take a lighter approach, spend time creating positive content rather than wallowing in the opposite, and importantly, try to refrain from negative framing of others actions. As human beings, we currently have no personal tolerance for negative framing. It's a cliche, but: be the change you want to see.

Reply 239 of 286, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-01-24, 23:24:

Social schisms aren't uncommon in the wild mixing pot that is the internet. Pandemic blues and society exhaustion are also big factors which sap tolerance and patience from us all. I regret anything negative I have said in the past.

Everyone must make a conscious effort to take a lighter approach, spend time creating positive content rather than wallowing in the opposite, and importantly, try to refrain from negative framing of others actions. As human beings, we currently have no personal tolerance for negative framing. It's a cliche, but: be the change you want to see.

Georgel has been like this for many years. He's been consistently aggressive and antagonistic toward others without provocation and when people call him out he just reacts like a child