VOGONS

First post, by cyberluke

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, here is a datasheet: https://manualzz.com/doc/26205628/scenic-mobile-500

They both had DSTN and TFT 11.3'' LCD panels. I have the STN version. Can you recommend some 11.3'' TFT display that would be compatible? It can be some industrial from some other country or it can be some display from another laptop that will be 11.3'' and TFT.

I don't care how hard it will be to fix or repair, I'm a collector and this can also teach important lesson.

Thank you!

Reply 4 of 5, by Byrd

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sadly you can't just grab some other 11.3" TFT and expect it to work - a lot of DSTN laptops had different inverters, very different ribbon cabling (often in different locations) and a straight switch wasn't made easy. Not knowing your laptop though, with some research it might be an easy one to switch only if the cabling is exactly the same and the inverter is the same one used for DSTN screens as with TFT. If not, you're going to struggle to get this switched.

Reply 5 of 5, by cyberluke

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I understand. This model supports both DSTN and TFT, so switch should be easy. I'm okay with soldering. I'm okay with rewiring the ribbon cable. I'm okay with making custom PCB and even mangling bits from 8 bits to 4 bits or 6 bits to 3 bits. Currently, there is SVGA 800x600 STN. I only cannot find where to buy some TFT 640x480 11.3'' display. I think I look everywhere. I found only a wholesale supplier from Shenzhen while I need one piece.

It is good laptop and I'm retrogamer and collector, I don't want to throw away things. Just switching display and it can work perfectly for retrogaming. I found Scenic Mobile 700, which has 11.3'' TFT SVGA, selling for parts. I hope it will have some serious issue, otherwise I will have to fix both 😁

Look, this guy is doing it on IBM: https://www.yyzkevin.com/pc110-display-retrofit/

So I can do it in Europe on Siemens.