VOGONS

First post, by 1ST1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, since some time I observe some trouble on my 386 machine (Olivetti M380XP9) when I boot with QEMM386 active. Maybe you can give me some idea what to change on the configuration. Currently QEMM runs with the Stealth:M option, but also the Stealth:F method has the same behaviour, but QEMM can not upload obout 44kB of drivers etc. to the UMB. Using MFT (Manifest from QEMM) I manually found UMB memory regions which I inclueded/excluded for optimisation. (Exclusion is for the adress range of the TIGA graphics card, I manually included those areas which previously have been shown as "unused" in MFT). Besides the TIGA card the machine has an Adaptec 1542A for SCSI drives and for the floppy controller. (Originally the M380XP9 has an ESDI WD-1007 controller for HDD and Floppy).

So my current problems with that config:

1. MS-DOS does not detect floppy disk change. As long as I change disks with the same capacity, example 720kB or 1.44MB, MS-DOS and Windows 3.11 always the same content. When I change 720 to 1.44 MB or vice versa, I get read error.

2. Some lowlevel floppy disk tools like ANADISK are crashing with a QEMM error.

When I change from QEMM to HIMEM.SYS (with or without EMM386) everything works just fine, but EMM 386 is not that effective in uploading all the drivers and TSR to UMB. Usually with QEMM I have 644532 bytes memory free.

Any ideas? Trying 386max instead?

Reply 1 of 7, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's just speculation from my part, but I suspect qemm does not play nice with the AHA1542. Can you try to attach the floppy to another controller?

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 2 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I do have similar issues with VirtualBox 4.x, I think..
Floppy disk access doesn't work when QEMM is running.
Unfortunately, EMM386 (alternative) doesn't work in VBox. Can't find a place for the EMS page frame.

Another issue: QEMM intercepts APM BIOS calls and HLT instructions.
DOSIDLE doesn't work in QEMM v9.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 7, by 1ST1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I don't want to use another floppy controller as this one is very special, it can read FM modulation and 128 Byte sectors, it is very usefull to read and write foreign disk formats like CP/M and typewriters.

Reply 4 of 7, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well you could do it temporarily for diagnostic purposes. If the floppy drive attached to another controller does not cause those problems with QEMM anymore, then you know that it's the controller on the AHA1542 that's the cause. If not, then it's something else.

Another thing you could try is another version of QEMM.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 5 of 7, by Yoghoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tried it here on a 386 with Qemm 9.0 and it's working correctly here (using a standard ISA I/O controller). I am not using any stealth options btw. Did you try to remove them? Also remove all include options to check if this could be the reason.