Topic actions

Reply 42120 of 52727, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Meatball wrote on 2022-01-27, 08:21:
Private_Ops wrote on 2022-01-27, 07:41:
Picked up a tower off ebay. Simply listed as having an AMD K6, no internal pics. I liked the case so figured I'd just play the l […]
Show full quote

Picked up a tower off ebay. Simply listed as having an AMD K6, no internal pics. I liked the case so figured I'd just play the lottery and see what I get.

Turned out to be a 500Mhz K6-2, 32mb Pc100 (upgraded to 64 now), S3 3D/2x (already replaced by a savage 4 pro), Yamaha PCI card, some crappy pci modem. Swapped the modem for a 3com NIC. Added a hard drive.

But the biggest score (for me anyway) was the SOYO SY-5EMA+ v1.1. I didn't have an AGP SS7 board.

I wanted the case for a "super budget" K6-2 (266, 64mb edo, sis 6326) build I was planning but, now... I don't know, I kinda like the way this one is setup, maybe throw my 8mb voodoo 2 in. Have a k6-2+ as well... hmmm...

(one of the sellers pics attached)

A classic case design. I bet this one will clean up nicely…

It looks very nice, would love to live in the US .. would make buying things like cases and whole PC's easier 🤣, shipping stuff like that internationally is a no no due to possible damage but cost is also an issue.

Reply 42121 of 52727, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AppleSauce wrote on 2022-01-27, 08:16:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-01-27, 08:14:

Found a local seller here that is selling a Gravis Gamepad Pro with the MS DoS controller card for it, also has a boxed wireless Dexxa Gamepad with the MSdos controller card and accessories .. might hit him up and see if he is willing to do a deal for both.

The wireless one looks interesting .. I think its is using IR for it judging by the wireless receiver.

Ooo infra red , that sounds very cool.

Sounds very interesting for science and unique hardware. My experience with IR has been terrible, though. Line of sight and tremendous input delay. This one could be an exception, though. You never know.

Reply 42122 of 52727, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Meatball wrote on 2022-01-27, 08:23:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-01-27, 08:14:

Found a local seller here that is selling a Gravis Gamepad Pro with the MS DoS controller card for it, also has a boxed wireless Dexxa Gamepad with the MSdos controller card and accessories .. might hit him up and see if he is willing to do a deal for both.

The wireless one looks interesting .. I think its is using IR for it judging by the wireless receiver.

Sounds very interesting for science and unique hardware. My experience with IR has been terrible, though. Line of sight and tremendous input delay. This one could be an exception, though. You never know.

Would IR lag be a huge issue for DOS games tho, I could see it being a big issue for twitch gaming in online games but not sure it would pose a big issue for DOS based stuff, only one way to find out . .FOR SCIENCE !

Edit - dude also has a NOS 6 bay ATX tower case with removable MB tray that is coming with me too.

Reply 42123 of 52727, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-01-27, 08:27:
Meatball wrote on 2022-01-27, 08:23:

Would IR lag be a huge issue for DOS games tho, I could see it being a big issue for twitch gaming in online games but not sure it would pose a big issue for DOS based stuff, only one way to find out . .FOR SCIENCE !

Edit - dude also has a NOS 6 bay ATX tower case with removable MB tray that is coming with me too.

Platformers, like Keen forget about it. I don’t know if you ever used IR for Windows Media Center keyboard mouse, but ouch…. It’s good enough to open a browser and extremely light typing. But you’re not going to be using this combo, and remotes seem to respond well enough. As long as there is no urgency involved, it might be OK. Maybe this one is so finely tuned it works great. I wouldn’t have high hopes because of the era. IR never took off as a viable control standard, but still Interesting, none the less, though. If you get a good deal, why not? I could be all backward on this thing and you discover a great alternative.

I am biased, though. Even for my other wireless capable controllers I always keep them plugged in.

Reply 42124 of 52727, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Every IR peripheral we owned through the years other than Remote controls got donated ages ago. Eat through batteries and the response from the receiver even up close was atrocious to the point of getting into the bios being an issue on some PC's

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 42125 of 52727, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ODwilly wrote on 2022-01-27, 08:57:

Every IR peripheral we owned through the years other than Remote controls got donated ages ago. Eat through batteries and the response from the receiver even up close was atrocious to the point of getting into the bios being an issue on some PC's

Expert testimony. I rest my case!

Reply 42126 of 52727, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm
I found this nice Palit SIS 305 ... Diamond Voodoo Banshee.

IMG_20220127_004940.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220127_004940.jpg
File size
907.56 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I love finding badly labelled items. This is one of the few way you can still beat the insane prices that now plagues any single interesting piece of retro hardware
Its all about knowing how the card looks like, knowing the history, the brands, PCB layouts. Passion is something scalpers cannot have with auto-bidding bots. And it feels good !

Bought it untested however. "found in a garage", so it was a gamble. I got it for around 20€ inc shipping if i remember well.
But it works perfectly.

Not the best 3dfx card. But it will perfectly fit in the ~1998 slot1 build i planed with an OC Celeron 300A.

IMG_20220127_005259.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220127_005259.jpg
File size
801.67 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I also recently bougth 3 (!!) GTX 295 (double PCB) for a 2009 i7 + Quad SLI setup. (2x 289W TDP... yes, the global warming and polar bears will hate this build).
Tested them one by one because i don't have any suitable power supply (~1000W) . Will probably use 2 GTX and have the 3rd on display/storage/sold.
I will have to clean them before because the original paint seems to age like milk and turned into something sticky. Hmmm yummy !

IMG_20220127_104716.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220127_104716.jpg
File size
952.99 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

And finally, an IBM Microdrive (with box and PCMCIA adapter. USB drive for scale). I have a thing for microdrives. I wanted one so badly around 2000 for my PDA. But i could only buy a 16Mb CF instead (for the equiv. of 100$/100€ in inflation corrected prices)

IMG_20220120_151717.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220120_151717.jpg
File size
480.23 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 42127 of 52727, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Meatball wrote on 2022-01-27, 08:39:

IR never took off as a viable control standard, but still Interesting, none the less, though. If you get a good deal, why not? I could be all backward on this thing and you discover a great alternative.

Anything's possible. I'd tend to agree with you. IrDa and it's cowboy proprietary equivalents are usually high laggards.

🤣 I don't mind the Light part of the journey, speedwise. That, we can live with 🤣 It's just hard to imagine the 90's computer-IR protocols being anything other than highly inefficient. But I will join you in the Love to be Proven Wrong gang* - these funny controllers are an interesting novelty at the least.

*or, the Love gang, for short

Reply 42128 of 52727, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-01-27, 11:09:
Anything's possible. I'd tend to agree with you. IrDa and it's cowboy proprietary equivalents are usually high laggards. […]
Show full quote

IR never took off as a viable control standard, but still Interesting, none the less, though. If you get a good deal, why not? I could be all backward on this thing and you discover a great alternative.

Anything's possible. I'd tend to agree with you. IrDa and it's cowboy proprietary equivalents are usually high laggards.

🤣 I don't mind the Light part of the journey, speedwise. That, we can live with 🤣 It's just hard to imagine the 90's computer-IR protocols being anything other than highly inefficient. But I will join you in the Love to be Proven Wrong gang* - these funny controllers are an interesting novelty at the least.

Hear, hear! And welcome! The membership in this gang is remarkably low!

Reply 42129 of 52727, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Meatball wrote on 2022-01-27, 11:42:
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-01-27, 11:09:
Anything's possible. I'd tend to agree with you. IrDa and it's cowboy proprietary equivalents are usually high laggards. […]
Show full quote

Hear, hear! And welcome! The membership in this gang is remarkably low!

Challenge accepted, if its anything like my TV remote it may get to meet a few walls, tho .. I may also put it up on the shelf as a display piece, its a good looking Gamepad too.

It doesnt have any way to attach a cable to it either so if its shit then its future is already decided . .display piece it is.

Two machines

1 - Compaq Deskpro 386s/20N 386SX 20mhz
2 - IBM PS/2 Model 30 286, 1.2gb SCSI HDD

Both are working and have new CMOS batteries, both are reasonably priced for their age and rarity and the fact they work and someone took the time to replace the Dallas RTC in one and the barrel battery in the other.
The fact one is a 386 and the other a 286 doesnt matter at all with machines this old and slow, im interested in owning one of them as a collection piece, both are in a really good state of cleanliness too neither has any case damage I can see or any corrosion at the back.

With all that said which one would you go for and why?
Which one would be easiest to find accessory parts for ?
most importantly which one is easiest to find setup disks for ?

Reply 42130 of 52727, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-01-26, 22:45:

I would never buy this. It's just an auction I saw today, a 386 motherboard populated with a CPU, RAM, and ensmeared with a variety of lovely acid-based compounds, predictably centred around the general batterial regions.

corrosion.png

It seems we have reached the stage of highly corroded 386 boards asking >$100 - this particular example is asking $120. "I have no way to test it", they note. We don't need a crystal ball to tell how that test would turn out, friend.

I just bought a 286 board on Amibay that had a leaky battery (I asked the seller to remove it) and a fair amount of damage in the vicinity. Sold as not working and outside the seller's expertise. For €20 + shipping I'm prepared to use it to learn whether I am capable of doing such repairs. Already got 5 litres white vinegar, just need some IPA to finish off the cleaning, prior to attempting the tracks repair. Will probably do a full recap as well, because why not 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 42131 of 52727, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They're easy as long as it's surface damage, if it's crept into middle layers of the board, your repair gets "interesting" ... but if it's one or two obvious traces, you can patch wire them. However, if you can't expose the corrosion, you can't kill the rot, which is worrying for longer term. Possibly you could "treat" it by putting tiny holes into it and injecting a drop or two of lower strength vinegar and crossing your fingers. Kinda gotta guess how much caustic hydroxide is down there and how much is enough for everything to hit neutral pH, without leaving it on the side of acid or alkaline.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 42132 of 52727, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-01-27, 13:31:

1 - Compaq Deskpro 386s/20N 386SX 20mhz
2 - IBM PS/2 Model 30 286, 1.2gb SCSI HDD

The Compaq will probably be easier to maintain going forward. I'm currently working on restoring a IBM PS/2 Model 30 286 and it hasn't been easy. Biggest problem is that, despite having expansion slots for which you probably already have cards for (ISA), it still has a proprietary floppy drive connector that requires some work in order to adapt a standard drive to work with it. The SCSI HDD is good though, but personally I'd probably still opt for the Compaq, although in reality I'd opt for both, but you asked to choose.

Update: The IBM has a riveted PSU, so another point in favour of the Compaq.

Reply 42133 of 52727, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PS/2s are evil, but thankfully sites like ardent tool and ps2.kev009.com exist which are the equivalent of "Practical demonology for practitioners of exorcism and dispelling."

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 42134 of 52727, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

got this week a Pentium 233 MMX for my current project.
Had some minor corrosion at the edges from long storage, hope it still works fine.

P1_MMX_233.jpg
Filename
P1_MMX_233.jpg
File size
70.01 KiB
Views
File comment
Pentium 233 MMX
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Building my own PCs since 1991 - for my retro builds it's "no CF-disks, no Floppy emulators, no modern cases etc.", only the real and authentic stuff whenever possible.

Reply 42135 of 52727, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Picked this laptop up from a thrift a while back but havent had time to play with it. The previous owner had some great taste .

uHnXRz0.jpg
9KsG8Jz.jpg

It runs doom and doom 2 very well

QxhonxL.jpg

The screen isnt very sharp and lots of ghosting .

Its a compaq Armada 1510DM

HP Armada 1510DM Pentium 120MHz (255250-003)
Standard Memory: 16MB or 32MB (Non-removable)
Maximum Memory: 80MB, 96MB
Memory Expansion: 1 Socket
CPU: Intel Pentium 120MHz
Chipset: N/A
Bus Architecture: PC Card
Mfr System P/N: 255250-003

Reply 42136 of 52727, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice, got one in the same line a 1580DMT, but it died on me, haven't got to serious diag yet... it's ergonomics felt great to me, comfortable to use. DOSsy stuff ran great, loved playing Frontier: Elite 2 on it.

Reply 42137 of 52727, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-01-27, 19:08:

They're easy as long as it's surface damage, if it's crept into middle layers of the board, your repair gets "interesting" ... but if it's one or two obvious traces, you can patch wire them. However, if you can't expose the corrosion, you can't kill the rot, which is worrying for longer term. Possibly you could "treat" it by putting tiny holes into it and injecting a drop or two of lower strength vinegar and crossing your fingers. Kinda gotta guess how much caustic hydroxide is down there and how much is enough for everything to hit neutral pH, without leaving it on the side of acid or alkaline.

Being a 286 board, I'm banking on it not having loads of layers or being too complicated. It's gotta be 20 years since I did any electronics work, so it's good to have a board cheap enough to practice on 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 42138 of 52727, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
debs3759 wrote on 2022-01-27, 22:58:
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-01-27, 19:08:

Being a 286 board, I'm banking on it not having loads of layers or being too complicated. It's gotta be 20 years since I did any electronics work, so it's good to have a board cheap enough to practice on 😀

its like riding a horse, you never truly forget, the muscles will remember quickly.

Reply 42139 of 52727, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
acl wrote on 2022-01-27, 10:05:
Hmm I found this nice Palit SIS 305 ... Diamond Voodoo Banshee. […]
Show full quote

Hmm
I found this nice Palit SIS 305 ... Diamond Voodoo Banshee.

IMG_20220127_004940.jpg

I love finding badly labelled items. This is one of the few way you can still beat the insane prices that now plagues any single interesting piece of retro hardware
Its all about knowing how the card looks like, knowing the history, the brands, PCB layouts. Passion is something scalpers cannot have with auto-bidding bots. And it feels good !

Bought it untested however. "found in a garage", so it was a gamble. I got it for around 20€ inc shipping if i remember well.
But it works perfectly.

Not the best 3dfx card. But it will perfectly fit in the ~1998 slot1 build i planed with an OC Celeron 300A.

IMG_20220127_005259.jpg

I also recently bougth 3 (!!) GTX 295 (double PCB) for a 2009 i7 + Quad SLI setup. (2x 289W TDP... yes, the global warming and polar bears will hate this build).
Tested them one by one because i don't have any suitable power supply (~1000W) . Will probably use 2 GTX and have the 3rd on display/storage/sold.
I will have to clean them before because the original paint seems to age like milk and turned into something sticky. Hmmm yummy !

IMG_20220127_104716.jpg

And finally, an IBM Microdrive (with box and PCMCIA adapter. USB drive for scale). I have a thing for microdrives. I wanted one so badly around 2000 for my PDA. But i could only buy a 16Mb CF instead (for the equiv. of 100$/100€ in inflation corrected prices)

IMG_20220120_151717.jpg

Very nice!

Those GTX295 cards that are sticky is not because of the "paint" breaking down. It is a blasted rubber coating that they like to use on a bunch of different stuff.

I've had to remove it from a SATA dock, flightsticks, my Logitech G9 mouse, some 3dConnextion CAD mice, boom boxes and on and on.

I really wish that it would be banned because it just turns into a sticky gooey mess.

Some stuff I've just thrown out because it was not worth my time to clean that crap off.

The best thing I have found that will clean it off is Lemon essential oil.

Since you can take the covers off those cards, you may be able to clean it off without as much fuss depending on how solvent resistant those covers are.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK