Reply 20 of 42, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Meatball wrote on 2022-01-27, 13:19:
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-01-27, 13:17:
Meatball wrote on 2022-01-27, 12:59:

Video corruption. Games from Rage exhibit this (Expendable, for example). In some cases, the card may not run at all above 133mhz bus. 100mhz is the safest max FSB. I think even running the Voodoo 1 on a CPU over 400-450mhz will cause these problems.

Depending on the individual card issues arise much earlier. I have one that does not work with FSB speeds of more than 66MHz and crashes when the CPU speed is above ~333MHz.

Hmm… I wonder if my Canopus Pure3D 6MB has this issue. I will try it on a PII 233 and see how it goes. Thanks for the tip!

The card with the issues is an early Guillemot MaxiGamer 3D. I guess either the early Voodoo Graphics chips or the early PCB are at fault. Just speculation though. 😅

Reply 21 of 42, by atom1kk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have here also a P1 200 MMX machine which would suit perfect the V1 but I dont know switching always the systems under my desk, than I would have 3 machines 😁. Beside, if I decide to use the P1 machine, it has a 3d rage pro onboard. is it a good card for 2D/3D (except Glide) gaming? Have here also a S3 trio 64V+ card.

Reply 22 of 42, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
atom1kk wrote on 2022-01-27, 14:13:

I have here also a P1 200 MMX machine which would suit perfect the V1 but I dont know switching always the systems under my desk, than I would have 3 machines 😁. Beside, if I decide to use the P1 machine, it has a 3d rage pro onboard. is it a good card for 2D/3D (except Glide) gaming? Have here also a S3 trio 64V+ card.

The Rage 3D isn’t a great DOS card, but the Trio is. However, with the Rage Pro 3D, you can play the original Tomb Raider in Windows without DOS and the MechWarrior 2 ATI version, among a few other games. There’s a thread here about this:

Proprietary 3D API's

Reply 23 of 42, by atom1kk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am thinking about now to start this Project, because i just analyzed and all games i need to have win 98 are until the year 98. All other games i can play well on my main machine with good compability, so due to place issues i am thinking to ditch the P4 because there is kind of no necessary for that and stick to the P1. As i remember i startet with a P1 100 And since than I was always using ATI cards. What would be the best suit for the p1 200. I mean it should also have a good 2D performance and have the Direct 3d compatibility. i think from that Time a riva TNT 1 or 2 would be a good choice or? it must be a pci card. the board has no AGP

maybe i open up a ne topic for that:D

The V1 is still to come than.

Reply 24 of 42, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
atom1kk wrote on 2022-01-27, 15:02:

I am thinking about now to start this Project, because i just analyzed and all games i need to have win 98 are until the year 98. All other games i can play well on my main machine with good compability, so due to place issues i am thinking to ditch the P4 because there is kind of no necessary for that and stick to the P1. As i remember i startet with a P1 100 And since than I was always using ATI cards. What would be the best suit for the p1 200. I mean it should also have a good 2D performance and have the Direct 3d compatibility. i think from that Time a riva TNT 1 or 2 would be a good choice or? it must be a pci card. the board has no AGP

maybe i open up a ne topic for that:D

The V1 is still to come than.

Take a look at this exhaustive benchmarking work from The Serpent Rider:

PCI Video cards benchmark: Electric Boogaloo Edition

Reply 25 of 42, by wariacix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for reviving a 1,5yr old post, but will this work with 3dfx & other card?

Attachments

P!!! 450 MHz; 256 MB PC100; nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 32mb + 3Dfx Voodoo 2 12mb; Windows 98 SE

Reply 26 of 42, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think that might be a bad idea for a couple reasons... first one is that the cumbersome double end might just physically get in the way if you tried to plug it in next to whatever other cards you've got in your system.

And the other reason is something I'm less certain about, but I'd be very careful. If that's just some sort of passive Y-splitter, I think those sorts of things can cause damage because video signals aren't supposed to be split that way.

You're just better off trying to find the shortest VGA extension cable you get.

Reply 28 of 42, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wariacix wrote on 2023-06-14, 23:43:

The problem is that my both cards (tnt2 m64 and the voodoo 2) have only 1 vga output and no inputs.

Voodoo2 cards usually have a VGA input port (or something similar depending on the manufacturer) where a passthrough cable can be connected.

As danieljm said, you're better off getting the shortest VGA extension cable. That extension cable can used to connect from the VGA output port of the TNT2 M64 card to the input port of the Voodoo2 card.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 29 of 42, by wariacix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

But if I connect it to voodoo, I have no way of connecting it to the monitor, both cards have only 1 VGA port.

P!!! 450 MHz; 256 MB PC100; nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 32mb + 3Dfx Voodoo 2 12mb; Windows 98 SE

Reply 30 of 42, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting. I didn't know there were Voodoo cards that didn't have a passthrough port. Could it maybe be a card from someone like Canopus, where they put a proprietary connector on it? If so, those cables will be a lot harder to find I think, but you might be able to splice something together your own.

The easier and probably best option instead would be to get a KVM switch, plug both cards into the inputs and your monitor to the output, and then flip back and forth as needed.

Reply 32 of 42, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wariacix wrote on 2023-06-15, 06:59:

But if I connect it to voodoo, I have no way of connecting it to the monitor, both cards have only 1 VGA port.

Can we have a photo of the card? I'm also curious about what card exactly it is.

Reply 33 of 42, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Might be able to make the vga link cable out of a pcb. But with the various locations of the 2d vga connector it may be annoying to make a slew of offsets.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 34 of 42, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm guessing that it is the one manufactured by Canopus which uses a non-standard input port for passthrough.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 35 of 42, by wariacix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's the card, tbh I can see a lot of voodoo's like these with only 1 VGA port

Attachments

Reply 36 of 42, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks similar to the Canopus one when it comes to the connections, but the rest of the PCB is standard Voodoo2 layout.

Reply 37 of 42, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

from the manual (in german), that card requires a loop cable with a different connector than the standard 15 pin vga connector.
page 7 - http://www.mirosupport.de/media/hiscore1/hiscg.pdf

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port