Common searches

The frustrations of the GPU market

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 191, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For the saddest GPU launch in two decades history I was thinking at least to another GPU in the early 2000's. What I find sad of this situation I don't care anymore is the lowest end market that seems evaporated. Those might have been the only products I might have been interested to give a boost to my old daily config with some modern acceleration as much as it can help and expecting to be at least similar to some middle-end product of few years ago and not few decade ago considering the same GPU still seems produced forever for this market segment that are almost unsupported on different side, let's think to the video codec decoding or encoding acceleration.
To see cards like the GT730 sold at those prices make me going back to the still supported on board iGPU.. who cares at this point it's not that important and another motivation for the retrohardware hobby.

Reply 102 of 191, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm gonna try to get a 3050, but they come in both 6 and 8 pin PSU connector designs, so I have to find one of each for both of my current rigs or just go with one in my gaming-oriented rig and keep using my 6GB 1060 in my regular desktop. I'm going to wait for the compact versions and ignore the long-board ones that are more common.

Reply 104 of 191, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2022-01-27, 18:27:

128bit memory buses make me 🤮

The 3050 is packing GDDR6 and the memory bandwidth and performance with it's 128-bit is far superior to what I have in my 192-bit 6GB GDDR5 1060. I checked the specs and it pretty much bitch-slaps my card in the newest games.

Reply 105 of 191, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2022-01-27, 18:49:
kolderman wrote on 2022-01-27, 18:27:

128bit memory buses make me 🤮

The 3050 is packing GDDR6 and the memory bandwidth and performance with it's 128-bit is far superior to what I have in my 192-bit 6GB GDDR5 1060. I checked the specs and it pretty much bitch-slaps my card in the newest games.

Yeah, I was reading some reviews and they all agreed it did great for 1080p gaming. The base model (cheapest price of course) will be hard to get, though, according to many of those article's predictions and most people will be stuck having to dish out more cash for the factory enhanced 3050 models. We shall see. Just a pathetic situation where anything hits the market and all the zombies eat the flesh almost instantaneously.

Reply 106 of 191, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As long as they recognise the 2 years of pent up demand and release about 2 years of production right away, it should be available and affordable... or they could be real happy about markup and just splutter them out at monthly rate and hold over the 2 year backlog for another 2 years.

They gotta be getting angry calls from the big game studios by now "Will you effing move some product, so we can effing move some product???"

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 107 of 191, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Call me stupid but I'd rathet get the 6500XT if I can get it at MSRP, it's a better deal for the money and on PCIe 4.0 its bandwidth problems are nonexistant.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 109 of 191, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Right, everyone back to slate and chalk for gaming graphics, tic-tac-toe (X and 0), hangman... and other classics.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 110 of 191, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, just wondering, what do we think about 800 euros for a 3fan ASUS RTX 3060TI card ?
(which seems to be in stock)
Or perhaps better get a similar RTX3070 for 900 euros ?
Way too much really for all of them, but other options are slim to none.....
(there is also a single-fan version RTX3060 available for 600 euros, but seems like a bad investment)

Reply 111 of 191, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bestemor wrote on 2022-01-27, 20:16:

So, just wondering, what do we think about 800 euros for a 3fan ASUS RTX 3060TI card ?

I think that it should be 300-350€.

bestemor wrote on 2022-01-27, 20:16:

(there is also a single-fan version RTX3060 available for 600 euros, but seems like a bad investment)

Because it's not investment, unless you use it for business, but then it's tax deductible.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 112 of 191, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Gotta feel bad for those business types who needed GPU in 2018ish, all this really must have screwed up their depreciation calculations 🤣

Reply 113 of 191, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

By 'investment' I meant something I will enjoy for many years to come, both for high framrates as well as lower temperatures and enduring build quality.
(as in paying 600 euros for a single fan lower quality build seems pointless vs spending 'only' 200 extra for a much better card)

Reply 114 of 191, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-01-27, 19:17:

As long as they recognise the 2 years of pent up demand and release about 2 years of production right away, it should be available and affordable... or they could be real happy about markup and just splutter them out at monthly rate and hold over the 2 year backlog for another 2 years.

They gotta be getting angry calls from the big game studios by now "Will you effing move some product, so we can effing move some product???"

Could tell the big game studios that if they fail to have a “legacy mode” for 10 year old hardware to run said app acceptably they will simply sell fewer games because nobody owns their target system

It’s not like it’s unpossible to support multiple platforms let alone graphics card generations

Reply 115 of 191, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, selling games that 90% of your customers can't run is a quick road to bankruptcy. However, they're gotta be holding up some projects that were kinda showcases for newer GPU features that maybe feel pointless without them.

Reply 117 of 191, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think the game (software) industry cares all that much about hardware. They are more than happy to develop for the same game consoles for 6-10 years. Maybe it even lowers their development costs, since they don't have to develop/license game engines and technologies, only upgrade and optimize the one they already use. Not that they necessarily develop/license new engines even if there are advances in hardware. Call of Duty used an updated Quake 3 engine into the 2010s and TES/Fallout still runs on an upgraded Gamebryo which is just as old.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 118 of 191, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

However, they're gotta be holding up some projects that were kinda showcases for newer GPU features that maybe feel pointless without them.

Nvidia can showcase them just fine on their streaming service. Current situation is actually great for its marketing.
And AMD practically owns CPU and GPU console market, they just don't care. Especially now, when consoles get additional more powerful revisions, which is not full generational leap.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 119 of 191, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Give it a few years when all these new FABs are online prices will drop like a rock. The semiconductor industry is always going from boom to bust in every area that's how the big boys buy out the smaller ones.

Crypto currency will pretty much crater sooner or later so there will be a flood of used cards cheap.

What we have now is a perfect storm of larger demand because of people being inside more, production and delivery bottlenecks caused by virus, and fabs that were at capacity before all this started. Quite a bit of the chips that are hard to get are low tech ones used in cars and appliances.

If you look through history there have always been chokepoints caused by availability in things like RAM, HD's , and even processors.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software