VOGONS

First post, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi there. I've been playing NovaLogic's "Armored Fist" with v0.70 (didn't bother with previous versions because it was too slow on my PC) and the game works fine save for one relatively minor issue.

When pressing ESC during the action the player is sent to a tactical screen / map, when he can see his position and swap positions with other units. It's not very useful at the beginning, but as the game progresses it becomes vital, as the player can resume playing after his unit is destroyed.

fist000on8.png

As you can see here, the mouse pointer is visible if it rests on that upper right panel...

fist001vc0.png

...but completely invisible when the player tries to select anything in the map.

I'm using the floppy version of the game, can't say if this happens too on other versions. Or if it is a bug in DOSBox or in the game itself, for that matter. Has anybody else noticed this?

Reply 1 of 11, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The mouse cursor is there although it blinks like mad and thus, it's almost invisible when dragged to the center of the screen where moving icons are.

Another thing: It isn't shown either when you capture a snapshot using CTRL-F5. I don't know why but maybe it's a normal behaviour.

Here are three screens I captured. First and second using CTRL-F5 (the second one displays game version) and the third one using ALT-PrintSCR.

fist000zj6.png

dosbox000gp8.png

fist001hv9.png

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 11, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like we're using the same version.

I've tried again and looks like the problem was exacerbated on the mission I was playing when I first posted (remember, white background). Still, you're right about the mouse pointer blinking like crazy, and not only in that screen, it also happens ingame too, although there is far less annoying.

BTW, the mouse pointer DOES appear when capturing with CTRL+F5. It's just that the blinking sometimes screws the capture. Watch this:

fist005py7.png

One way or the other, it is almost impossible to select any unit, which makes the game more difficult. I can't even be sure it's not a bug in the game itself, as in the old days I always played the CD version, which I threw away a long ago.

Reply 4 of 11, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i think this rapidly blinking cursor is "normal". its a problem with the game itself, because it also occur under real dos (if i remember correctly).
btw, i have the US cd-rom version...

sysprofile.png

Reply 6 of 11, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ok i've tested it again under dosbox 0.70 and you're right, the cursor is only visible in the upper corner of the tactical screen and it completely disappears when its moved to the middle of the screen.
but in the normal ingame screen the mouse control works flawlessly.
i'll do some further testing...

EDIT: no problems with dosbox 0.65 + outdated ykhwong's CVS and clean 0.66 beta2 so far.

EDIT2: seems to be a problem with the new dynamic core optimizations. the game works good with core=full/normal under v0.70 for me...

sysprofile.png

Reply 8 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

hmm beta2. That one had allready some of the optimalizations. I think it was the first build with them. (although there were changes to the dynamic core in later builds)

Longshot: did you try timed=false ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 9 of 11, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

timed=false makes no difference. i also had disabled all unnecessary stuff like joystick and GUS emulation for testing.

but using constant cycle settings with dynamic core works in some way:
i first tryed it with cycles=30000 ->cursor was visible completely.
after that i had increased the cycles step by step to 50000 in the tactical screen.
at around 40000 cycles the cursor begins to disappear (bottom of the screen) and the limit increases with higher settings. with cycles around 50000 i got nearly the same results as with cycles=auto/max.

ykhwong's 0.66rc3 CVS build (dated 25.02.2007) has also no problems with this game.

i hope this helps a litte to contain the problem.

sysprofile.png

Reply 10 of 11, by LoneLines

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmmm, Strike Squad also does this, the mouse sometimes vanishes on 0.70 (it's not playable at all on 0.65), but playing with the cycles setting I fixed it (apparently the mouse blinking is related to cycles chosen...)

The solution would probably be to play with the cycles in order to get a "stable" mouse cursor...

LoneLines list of workarounds for various games in DOSBox:
http://ADogsBox.jellofishi.com