VOGONS

First post, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys,

I wanted tried to plug a IDE to Sata adapter on my ZIP Drive ( Ide Version ), then connected to Sata to Usb Adapter. ( A big one with power supply )
Unfortunately it's not working. Not sure why, the drive can take the disk and eject it. I can hear it spinning, but nothing is detected under windows.
The one I tried to use :

61uwPCMb2pL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
Filename
61uwPCMb2pL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
File size
124.28 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Does someone already tried or experimented this ? The Goal is to use the IDE Zip on a USB Port.

I've seen some USB adapters on the market for 3.5" IDE Drives, maybe it would make it work better ?

818RPJdB+0L._SL1500_.jpg
Filename
818RPJdB+0L._SL1500_.jpg
File size
181.89 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

My Intel SE440BX-2 Intel's website Mirror : Modified to include docs, refs and BIOSes.
Proud owner of a TL866 II
Personal GitHub

Reply 1 of 6, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

We need to know what OS you use. I don't know the exact timeline for those, but I'm pretty sure the drives were no longer supported after XP, as they were phased out around that time, due to the proliferation of optical drives that could record discs.

Reply 2 of 6, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I tried on Windows 10. I read that Legacy Zip Drives with USB ports are working on Windows 10
Anyway, even if there's a driver issue, it should be detected

My Intel SE440BX-2 Intel's website Mirror : Modified to include docs, refs and BIOSes.
Personal GitHub

Reply 3 of 6, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, the peripheral is actually detected, probably had an issue with the cable. But it's seen as USB Mass Storage and I can't use the driver designed for the "real" ZIP 250 USB.

Personal GitHub

Reply 4 of 6, by Plasma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There were never any SATA ZIP drives, so I don't see how the "real" driver could ever work with your setup. But if you can use it as mass storage then I guess it doesn't matter?

I have used IDE to USB adapters for LS-120 drives without issue.

Reply 5 of 6, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

LS-120 drives don't work with Windows 10 (it's a known issue to MS). The Super Floppy driver that comes with Win10 is broken. I don't have a USB version of the drive, but the IDE version definitely doesn't work (even with the SATA adapter).

I've tried for years. I even tried to substitute with the Win7 driver (which does work with a SATA adapter), but it doesn't work in Win10 either. Eventually, I just gave up.

I wonder if this issue affects Zip drives on IDE as well.

Reply 6 of 6, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Plasma wrote on 2022-02-01, 20:41:

There were never any SATA ZIP drives, so I don't see how the "real" driver could ever work with your setup. But if you can use it as mass storage then I guess it doesn't matter?

I have used IDE to USB adapters for LS-120 drives without issue.

Well, it's seen as "Mass storage Device" but with an exclamation mark /!\ and not working 🙁

fosterwj03 wrote on 2022-02-02, 16:31:

LS-120 drives don't work with Windows 10 (it's a known issue to MS). The Super Floppy driver that comes with Win10 is broken. I don't have a USB version of the drive, but the IDE version definitely doesn't work (even with the SATA adapter).

I've tried for years. I even tried to substitute with the Win7 driver (which does work with a SATA adapter), but it doesn't work in Win10 either. Eventually, I just gave up.

I wonder if this issue affects Zip drives on IDE as well.

Interesting, I have an USB LS-120 Drive working with Windows 10 ( Used with 1.44MB Floppy disks only )

Personal GitHub