VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

/In American McGee's Alice, the game screen is divided into 4 parts by 2 intersecting lines going through the screen. How to remove it? In the attachment, see the area left of "Quit" and her dress.

Attachments

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 1 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The menus are designed for a fixed 640x480 resolution. Raising the res reveals the edges of the 256x256 textures made to assemble the menu. They're made of those pieces to support 3dfx cards.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 13, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-02-03, 05:45:

/In American McGee's Alice, the game screen is divided into 4 parts by 2 intersecting lines going through the screen. How to remove it? In the attachment, see the area left of "Quit" and her dress.

If you have an Nvidia graphics card, try disabling conformant texture clamp

See
Re: 10 Reasons for a Pentium 4 Windows 98 DOS Retro Gaming PC :)

Reply 3 of 13, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

he menus are designed for a fixed 640x480 resolution. Raising the res reveals the edges of the 256x256 textures made to assemble the menu. They're made of those pieces to support 3dfx cards.

So that explains why Resident Evil had those lines too.

darry wrote on 2022-02-03, 06:22:
If you have an Nvidia graphics card, try disabling conformant texture clamp […]
Show full quote

See

Might be a stupid question, but where? I didn't find it in the driver settings and apparently Google results say it's there. I looked at the Negative LOD bias thing, it was set to Use Global setting (Allow) and I set it to Clamp but no differenct between the two.

Reply 4 of 13, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-02-03, 11:13:
So that explains why Resident Evil had those lines too. […]
Show full quote

he menus are designed for a fixed 640x480 resolution. Raising the res reveals the edges of the 256x256 textures made to assemble the menu. They're made of those pieces to support 3dfx cards.

If you have an Nvidia graphics card, try disabling conformant texture clamp […]
Show full quote

See

Might be a stupid question, but where? I didn't find it in the driver settings and apparently Google results say it's there. I looked at the Negative LOD bias thing, it was set to Use Global setting (Allow) and I set it to Clamp but no differenct between the two.

That option existed on older Nvidia cards/drivers . I should have written "If you have an Nvidia graphics card old enough to offer the option, try disabling conformant texture clamp .

Alternatively (if using newer and/or non Nvidia graphics), according to https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/conformant- … for-ati.239897/ , the GLOverride tool/wrapper should let you do something equivalent .

Filename
GLOverride.zip
File size
38.55 KiB
Downloads
72 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Follow the instructions in the included readme.txt file and set FixClamp = 1 in the .ini file .

Reply 5 of 13, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote on 2022-02-04, 03:00:
That option existed on older Nvidia cards/drivers . I should have written "If you have an Nvidia graphics card old enough to off […]
Show full quote
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-02-03, 11:13:
So that explains why Resident Evil had those lines too. […]
Show full quote

See

That option existed on older Nvidia cards/drivers . I should have written "If you have an Nvidia graphics card old enough to offer the option, try disabling conformant texture clamp .

Alternatively (if using newer and/or non Nvidia graphics), according to https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/conformant- … for-ati.239897/ , the GLOverride tool/wrapper should let you do something equivalent .

GLOverride.zip

Follow the instructions in the included readme.txt file and set FixClamp = 1 in the .ini file .

Unfortunately, it didn't help. First, the game doesn't read any custom opengl32.dll and reads the one from System32. Then I decided to hex edit the executable to present the opengl32.dll with another name and now the game freezes.

Reply 6 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-02-04, 05:27:

Then I decided to hex edit the executable to present the opengl32.dll with another name and now the game freezes.

You didn't have to do that.

/r_gldriver

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 13, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote on 2022-02-04, 07:13:

Then I decided to hex edit the executable to present the opengl32.dll with another name and now the game freezes.

/r_gldriver

Sorry for the late responsse. How do I use this line in the game? I thought it could be done with the ` key but apparently not.

Reply 8 of 13, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lines can be fixed with GLOverride ("FixClamp"=1).
Unfortunately there are bugs in the 3d part with this solution...

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 9 of 13, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you don't care much about legality of things, EA made currently hard to obtain rerelease of the game, which fixed this issue and added widescreen support. It came in package with Alice Madness Returns. You probably can rip pk3 archive and transplant new menu/HUD texture files to original release too.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 10 of 13, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-02-06, 06:30:
leileilol wrote on 2022-02-04, 07:13:

/r_gldriver

Sorry for the late responsse. How do I use this line in the game? I thought it could be done with the ` key but apparently not.

As far as I understand, /r_gldriver lets you specify an alternative name for opengl32.dll , so you would rename the GLOverride opengl32.dll to something like glo32.dll (for example), copy it and its properly configured ini file to c:\windows\system32 .

Then, assuming you are running Windows 10, you would need to edit C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\American McGee's Alice\Base\config.cfg to include the line

seta r_gldriver "glo32"

Then, running the game might work through the wrapper .

Reply 11 of 13, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IIRC, at least 2 decades since I messed with it, I was using Quake3 minigls with this game.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 12 of 13, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-02-07, 05:15:

IIRC, at least 2 decades since I messed with it, I was using Quake3 minigls with this game.

Yeah, the GLoverride opengl32.dll file does not seem to want to load in Alice .

But, installing NGlide, copying the 3dfxvgl.dll miniGL from voodoo2-30202.exe (Voodoo 2 driver set) into c:\windows\SysWOW64 and setting

seta r_gldriver "3dfxvgl"

in C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\American McGee's Alice\Base\config.cfg and also setting that file read-only (the game seems to like to revert changes otherwise).

does seem to work in Windows 10 at least up to 1280x720 in 32-bit (both forced in Nglide, not in game options).

EDIT: Unfortunately, this does not fully fix the texture border issue. Black lines may no longer be visible, but the demarcation between textures is . It might be worth experimenting with another OpenGL to MiniGL to glide wrapper to system OpenGL setup (Or live with it or get a 3DFX card)

EDIT2: I know the aspect ratio in menus is wrong when a 16:9 resolution is set .

alice.png
Filename
alice.png
File size
1.05 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception