Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 42380 of 52739, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nexxen wrote on 2022-02-06, 16:21:
cpu 220w + 2x 375w + ram and stuff, 1.2kw is quite adequate. It'll be awesome to go through benchmarks :) Good luck and don't us […]
Show full quote
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-02-06, 15:24:
Nexxen wrote on 2022-02-06, 15:12:

"IF I decide to actually build this fire breathing beast"
Poetry! 🤣

Its not a very big if ....

cpu 220w + 2x 375w + ram and stuff, 1.2kw is quite adequate.
It'll be awesome to go through benchmarks 😀
Good luck and don't use the microwave during tests... 😀

heh, I have an old 1200 AXi I could use, its been on the shelf as it suffers from the Corsair 1200 AXi OCP bug and trying to RMA a PSU from here in Australia is not worth it, Postage alone would cover the cost of a new 1300watt EVGA PSU.

Aussie wall sockets supply 240v @ 13 amps so I have ~3000 watts to pull from the wall 🤣

Reply 42381 of 52739, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Edit: 🤣 answered as I was asking

How angry are the pixies that are pulled from the wall in 'straya though? Here in North America we can get 1750W at 115V but should only do 80% of that continuous. Whereas UK it's more like 3kW per circuit, so 1200W PSU and 1000W microwave would work fine.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 42382 of 52739, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-02-06, 16:36:

Edit: 🤣 answered as I was asking

How angry are the pixies that are pulled from the wall in 'straya though? Here in North America we can get 1750W at 115V but should only do 80% of that continuous. Whereas UK it's more like 3kW per circuit, so 1200W PSU and 1000W microwave would work fine.

Bonus it the circuits in the room my PCs and collection are in has its own power circuit from the rest of the building so I'm free to overload it a little 🤣

I could use the 15 AMP socket too which is about 4200 watts, but I would need a 1600 watt PSU with 15amp plug to take advantage of all them angry pixies.

Reply 42383 of 52739, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, some of you were mildly interested in my day at the vintage market.

First thing I have to say, one of the merchants was a good girl 😁
20220206_105151.md.jpg

At the end, I ended up spending around $15, which was I think surprisingly low.
IMG_20220206_113456.md.jpg
IMG_20220206_121451.md.jpg IMG_20220206_121420.md.jpg

An ATI Rage Pro Turbo, a Sound Blaster SB0220 and 2×253MB PC2700 DDR RAM. (the RAM is from the above good girl)
Also a box with a book design covered in leather and a velvet inside. Last week I got myself a new coffee table and the box I used to have on it to put away my EDC while I'm at home was a little too small. This will be the replacement.

I also got a set of plates, a mug and a new ~3m networking cable .

Vintage Electronics Section

About this is how you find retro PC parts there:
electronics01.md.jpg electronics05.md.jpg
electronics04.md.jpg electronics03.md.jpg

I didn't know there were such Commodore keyboards. I don't have C64, nor do I want one, so I didn't ask how much. Are they uncommon?
electronics07.md.jpg electronics08.md.jpg

Some other random vintage electronics:
electronics09.md.jpg electronics10.md.jpg
electronics02.md.jpg electronics06.md.jpg

Random tableware

TW1.md.jpg TW2.md.jpg
TW3.md.jpg

4120-2-1324316936.jpg

The Mustachio Boiz

mustache01.md.jpg mustache02.md.jpg
mustache03.md.jpg mustache04.md.jpg

Interesting thing is, the German guy was more common on the right side of the market and his Russian comrades on the left side. Coincidence?

Also, I wonder what kind of people would decorate their homes with these?

Some miscellaneous stuff

misc01.md.jpg misc02.md.jpg

I found it interesting that this was on the two sides of the same table.
misc03.md.jpg misc04.md.jpg

Someone who knows German. What's this piece of paper?
misc05.md.jpg

I found that marble chess set especially beautiful. Last month there was a full metal one with hyper detailed chess pieces.
misc06.md.jpg misc07.md.jpg

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 42384 of 52739, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-02-06, 16:48:
I found it interesting that this was on the two sides of the same table. https://imghost.org/images/2022/02/06/misc03.md.jpg htt […]
Show full quote

Nazi jews!
Heil Abraham!

Someone who knows German. What's this piece of paper? https://imghost.org/images/2022/02/06/misc05.md.jpg […]
Show full quote

misc05.md.jpg

Seife = soap
Seems like you did need such a card to buy soap?

Reply 42385 of 52739, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
So, some of you were mildly interested in my day at the vintage market. […]
Show full quote

20220206_105151.md.jpg

An ATI Rage Pro Turbo, a Sound Blaster SB0220 and 2×253MB PC2700 DDR RAM. (the RAM is from the above good girl)
Also a box with a book design covered in leather and a velvet inside. Last week I got myself a new coffee table and the box I used to have on it to put away my EDC while I'm at home was a little too small. This will be the replacement.

I didn't know there were such Commodore keyboards. I don't have C64, nor do I want one, so I didn't ask how much. Are they uncommon?

Random tableware

TW1.md.jpg TW2.md.jpg
TW3.md.jpg

4120-2-1324316936.jpg

The Mustachio Boiz

Interesting thing is, the German guy was more common on the right side of the market and his Russian comrades on the left side. Coincidence?

Some miscellaneous stuff

misc05.md.jpg

I found that marble chess set especially beautiful. Last month there was a full metal one with hyper detailed chess pieces.

Love that tube with a handle.

Reply 42386 of 52739, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Which country was this in? I'd greatly appreciate if we could refrain from posting pictures of Nazi memorabilia on this forum

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 42388 of 52739, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MMaximus wrote on 2022-02-06, 18:41:

Which country was this in? I'd greatly appreciate if we could refrain from posting pictures of Nazi memorabilia on this forum

I posted commie stuff too and I'd appreciate if it were to bother you just as much. Or not at all by either. It's just some historical junk left over from a dark era.

Btw I think it's distasteful to own them, but I see no harm in posting them once as curiosities.

Edit:
And also I expected more discussion around the electronics part of the post, but can't control what catches other people's attention.

Last edited by RandomStranger on 2022-02-06, 19:01. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 42389 of 52739, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Someone who knows German. What's this piece of paper? https://imghost.org/images/2022/02/06/misc05.md.jpg […]
Show full quote

misc05.md.jpg

Reichsseifenkarte as explained above it's translates roughly to 'soap card of the Reich'. It's like a food stamp but for soap. During the war when resources were rationed you'd need this to get soap.
Edit: It's not like a food stamp. You'd still have to pay. Isn't war wonderful?

Reply 42390 of 52739, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-02-06, 18:59:
Show full quote

misc05.md.jpg

Reichsseifenkarte as explained above it's translates roughly to 'soap card of the Reich'. It's like a food stamp but for soap. During the war when resources were rationed you'd need this to get soap.

Yeah... "wonderful". And some says we are heading towards a next one with Russia and China.
Can't wait to be blown into pieces as big as my pinky nail by some drone.

Reply 42392 of 52739, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anders- wrote on 2022-02-06, 19:28:
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-02-06, 19:04:
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-02-06, 18:59:

Yeah... "wonderful". And some says we are heading towards a next one with Russia and China.
Can't wait to be blown into pieces as big as my pinky nail by some drone.

Pretty sure the western world will manage to collapse entirely on its own, it's nice to have someone to put the blame on though?

It seems sometimes the western world does, but given the choice I'd live through a 'peaceful' implosion like the USSR had rather than being bombed into a collapse. I don't get your point about putting the blame on someone.

Last edited by RandomStranger on 2022-02-06, 19:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 42393 of 52739, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
So, some of you were mildly interested in my day at the vintage market. […]
Show full quote

20220206_105151.md.jpg

Random tableware

TW1.md.jpg TW2.md.jpg
TW3.md.jpg

4120-2-1324316936.jpg

The Mustachio Boiz

Some miscellaneous stuff

misc05.md.jpg

Bottom pic of the electronics, that's highly similar to radio my grandparents listened to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Archers on nearly every day for ~40 years.

Bottom pic of the misc, market has gone cool on those art noveau and art deco style bronzes and clocks, should stack a storage unit full of them while they're "cheap" until the fad comes round again. It's quality well executed stuff so it will have it's day again, bear in mind "they" (The influencers of modern vintage taste) would be painting Chippendale chairs white at the moment.

edit: by the way I'll note that the last "paint everything that can't run away" fad in wooden furniture ended in the late 70s, early 80s and from then on, relative fortunes were made buying up all this "junk" at $5 and $10 a time and running refinishing shops where they'd dip them in a vat of paint stripper, then re-varnish or polish the wood to bring back it's natural beauty, turning scabby looking junk into heirlooms again, or $5 to $500 whichever way you like to see it... just a tip for the young crowd to see a potential extra side gig when the tide turns.

Last edited by BitWrangler on 2022-02-06, 19:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 42394 of 52739, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I also like the artdeco style. Also those old-school pin-up artworks like the "Dependable Service" on the top-right of the first image from the same bunch. I've put some up in my kitchen.

Reply 42396 of 52739, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sellers pics:

s-l1600 (7).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (7).jpg
File size
483.67 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
s-l1600 (8).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (8).jpg
File size
514 KiB
Views
File license
s-l1600 (9).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (9).jpg
File size
505.36 KiB
Views
File license

25,75€ on Ebay.
2x DFI K6XV3+/66 and a shitty Biostar board.
All untested. So if they're not working, I'm screwed. Wish me luck.

The dark blue dip switches on the first one confuse me a bit. Looks like someone already switched that?
Also has a deep scratch were the 2nd cache chip would be. But since there are no traces, it shouldn't matter.
Changing the rusty PS/2 ports on the other board should be an easy task for Hirsch. He has plenty of donor boards, because I'm giving all my broken boards to him, which aren't worth repairing. He already restored a few boards for both of us with the spare parts. USB ports, PS/2 ports, ATX connector, IDE ports, battery holder... They're being stripped until nothing is left. xD

I started looking for this board in mid 2021. There wasn't even a single one in the sales history.
Found one in August. With CPU, RAM graphics card, sound card and SATA controller. Mostly worthless junk, except the Matrox controller. 20€ starting bid. I send a shameless offer of 40€ and the seller accepted.
The next bundle (with CPU, RAM and cooler) went to Hirsch after a bid war (not against me) for about 60€.
He also got another one for just 30€ (without anything else), but that one was dead, although it was declared functional. Seller was professional, so refund went flawless. He could even keep the broken board.
Since the other one was broken and Hirsch wanted a spare one (just in case), he tried his luck with another one (also with CPU and RAM) in December and won the auction for 56€.
There was another one. The rare 2MB variant. 😮 We tried our luck, but didn't win it. Seller reported that the board often freezes during post, so we weren't willing to bid more than 20€. Who knows if it can be restored?

So for almost a year now we have secured every working K6XV3+/66 on Krautbay. 😁
There is another one currently on Ebay. From Ukraine. Tested and working. Bid is currently at $51. We won't bid on that one. So if you want to try your luck, go ahead.
I hope at least one of the two boards I got today can be restored, so we both have two working ones.

Reply 42397 of 52739, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wouldn't go bashing on Biostar. When I worked at a computer store in 2000-2001, we were buying motherboards directly from Biostar.

We sold many more times Biostar boards than all other brands combined and had fewer bad Biostar boards than any other single brand.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 42399 of 52739, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anders- wrote on 2022-02-06, 20:47:
I don't want to go too much offtopic here, one short elaboration and I'm done with the politics talk :) By putting blame on some […]
Show full quote
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-02-06, 19:43:
Anders- wrote on 2022-02-06, 19:28:

Pretty sure the western world will manage to collapse entirely on its own, it's nice to have someone to put the blame on though?

It seems sometimes the western world does, but given the choice I'd live through a 'peaceful' implosion like the USSR had rather than being bombed into a collapse. I don't get your point about putting the blame on someone.

I don't want to go too much offtopic here, one short elaboration and I'm done with the politics talk 😀
By putting blame on someone I mean that the politicians always look for a way out (regardless of which mess they currently put themselves into).
Consider the raging high electricity prices in europe. The popular thing to do is to blame russia for raising the gas prices, this is of course market forces at work, but no one wants to talk about how "green" energy politics got us here in the first place.

I too would like to avoid getting blown into pieces, but sometimes a part of me wonder if the world doesn't deserve it 😉

Oh, I see. I thought you meant I put the blame on someone.