VOGONS

First post, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
I'm thinking about buying a new 4k monitor and as I browsed the portolio I was disappointed that all new monitors dropped the analog VGA/DVI-I input to be able to connect an old computer. I simply don't have enough space on the table for 2 monitors so I'd like to use one for all with some converter. I found some cheap VGA2HDMI adapters but I got some user experiences that are not much positive about them (some resolutions/refresh rates are not supported or cannot operate with some monitors). Here's one that could be better from cheap ones: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00IJBOMN8/r … sc=1&pldnSite=1
but still some problems reported.
On the opposite side there are well known scalers like OSSC and Framemeister that use expensive FPGA chips so the price is high. And they seems to be primary aimed on consoles and low-res 8bit computers. I even cannot found what is the maximum resolution of VGA input on OSSC.
Currently I don't need more than one VGA input. So I was thinking how about to reuse a control board from an old LCD monitor - the price is 0 as they are lying tons on scrapyards. I have one from BenQ FP73G (17" 1280 x 1024) with DVI+VGA. It's based on Realtek RTD2523B that is well documented: https://datasheetspdf.com/pdf/721071/Realtek/RTD2523B/1
I cannot find the schematics of FP73G but found a similar one FP92W with the same chip
http://elektrotanya.com/benq_q9w5_fp92w_9j.l2 … p/download.html
I just need to know where to connect a power supply and control buttons to swith it on.
The output is LVDS for flat panel. So I try to make a simple converter board from LVDS to HDMI with chip ITE IT6263FN. It can be bought on ebay/ali for a few $. The documentation is worse. I have only 16-pages brief datasheet without registers and programming description. It is available only on CSDN: https://download.csdn.net/download/liangzuoyang/11268290 - anybody can download from there?
Fortunately there's some Linux driver that documents a lof of registers (the chip is used on some iMX8 dev.boards).
So if all will go the rigth way I could be connect it to HDMI monitor and it should behave the same as original BenQ monitor from VGA side - should accept all common VGA/SVGA resolutions. Then I could replace Realtek RTD2523B with a kind better RTD2660 that has also composite video input as a bonus and make it on one compact board. I'd like if someone could share experiences with such video chips - it's quite new topic for me...

Attachments

• LVDS2HDMI_IT6263FN.jpg
    Filename
    LVDS2HDMI_IT6263FN.jpg
    File size
    115.96 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    LVDS2HDMI with IT6263FN experimental board
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • RTD252B.jpg
    Filename
    RTD252B.jpg
    File size
    138.02 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    BenQ FP73G with Realtek RTD2523B LCD ctrl board
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 1 of 18, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Only concern I have with this approach is latency, you combine latency of the LCD board and then more latency from scaler of the target monitor (since it will not feed native resolution). It should still be sub-frame, at least on the first stage side but both combined may reach half a frame and that starts to become noticable.

Another possible problem is bit depth, you're most probably going to have 18bit temporal dithered signal going to the HDMI chip as LCD panels that actually were 24bit didn't become common until recently (like last 5 years). The Realtek chip does support 24bit output and maybe the HDMI chip can do too so there's one less headache if the firmware can be programmed to enable it.

Things like OSSC etc. are indeed only for low resolution 15KHz RGB from old consoles with bypass for 31KHz RGB (lowest VGA resolution / highest game device resolution). It definitely cannot handle any higher resolutions and it isn't even meant to. Their only job is to turn the unsupported low res video into something higher resolution for PC inputs on newer display devices so that you can actually use things and bypass stuff like deinterlacing that is usually imposed on TV inputs.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 18, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

However you can use the frontend chip of OSSC and combine it with HDMI transmitter and MCU and create a analog to HDMI/DVI converter, bypassing that FPGA from design as you don't need the scaling. MCU has to program in resolution specific info to get correctly digitized image which is the primary headache with all the cheap converters.

TVP7002 has all of its documentation available and it should be good up to 1920x1080 with reduced blanking, to be within the normal single link HDMI/DVI things 165MHz limit. The ITE HDMI chip can be reused too, though its documentation is less available.

Reply 3 of 18, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The latency - maybe... It may help to set 1:1 on side of RTD or target monitor
Bit depth - yes, probably BenQ panel was 6bpp, I don't know where the dithering is done if in RTD or LCD panel itself. But the chip could be reprogrammed to TrueColor output. This would be next step after making LVDS2HDMI working.

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 4 of 18, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dithering is done in the realtek chip, there are several settings for it even wen I skimmed through the datasheet.

I'm not familiar with the chip to know if it can just act as a digitizer without scaler, if it could then this would be even better as (dumb) ADC is what you primarly will need.

Reply 5 of 18, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Common LCD panels have OSD option to scale image to whole screen or keep 1:1. I don't know about this, I have no longer the LCD panel so I cannot test it now.

BTW how about HDMI lines AC coupling? I have seen some designs like nVidia Jetson where HDMI was AC coupled but other designs and HDMI spec itself claims "DC coupled TDMS..."

Reply 6 of 18, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

that kind of "1:1" I have only seen in laptops, never on a desktop monitor. This won't help here, all the empty pixels are still written (it is not possible to drive arbitrary part on a panel), just different scaling method applied.

HDMI is supposed to be DC coupled but it depends on transmitter. It needs to be able to supply right amount of current to maintain signal integrity and if the transmitter calls for AC coupling you do it that way, otherwise no. This is one place where you exactly follow what datasheet says, there is no room for your own ideas there whatsoever.

Reply 7 of 18, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The OSSC can digitize and pass through resolutions above 640x480 up to (and including) at least 1600x1200@60Hz (upper limit is probably TVP7002's max capability) .
It just can't line multiply any input resolution greater than 640x480 .

I use an OSSC with my Voodoo 3 and 1920x1200 LCD monitor (which I use in 4:3 mode as if it was 1600x1200).

EDIT : see here Re: VGA Capture Thread for some examples

Reply 8 of 18, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Aha, OK thanks for info. Just to be clear what you mean by "pass through" - the VGA signal is only digitized and passed out pixel by pixel without any further transformations and processing so no delay introduced... 1600x1200 is good enoug but for my purpose OSSC is quite expansive and I don't utilize FPGA in this case...

Reply 9 of 18, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RayeR wrote on 2022-02-07, 18:27:

Aha, OK thanks for info. Just to be clear what you mean by "pass through" - the VGA signal is only digitized and passed out pixel by pixel without any further transformations and processing so no delay introduced... 1600x1200 is good enoug but for my purpose OSSC is quite expansive and I don't utilize FPGA in this case...

Yes, I mean digitized with no processing or delay (or a minimal one).

If you don't need the line multiplication, etc, OSSC is indeed overkill .

Reply 10 of 18, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When I bought my 4k screen (I own LG 27GP950 monitor since June 2021), I thought VGA to DP would be better.
So I bought VC160A and Delock 62596 (in short : VGA => DVI => DP with optional VGA => DVI => HDMI [through passive adapter]).
Also, I recommend getting a two port switcher for ease of use between main PC, and test platform (type depends on needs HDMI/DP).

I use VGA to HDMI as backup (Delock 62408), here's how it looks inside :

Front.jpg
Filename
Front.jpg
File size
1.57 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Front 2.jpg
Filename
Front 2.jpg
File size
1.35 MiB
Views
File license
Back.jpg
Filename
Back.jpg
File size
1.45 MiB
Views
File license
Last edited by agent_x007 on 2022-02-07, 20:08. Edited 6 times in total.

157143230295.png

Reply 11 of 18, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PS. Here's my Aten VC160A :

Front.jpg
Filename
Front.jpg
File size
1.05 MiB
Views
File license
Back.jpg
Filename
Back.jpg
File size
1.06 MiB
Views
File license

^I can recommend this little thing (I bought it used)

Hope this helps 😀

157143230295.png

Reply 12 of 18, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

>agent_x007
Thanks for hi-res photos of those devices. The price of Aten VC160A is similar to OSSC and Delock 62596 still x-times higher than cheap adapters - it's out of my scope. But it's good to see on what chips are they besed on. Not much magic there. IT6613 is HDMI transmitter with parallel RGB input - I already found TFP410 from TI that should do the same. It's paired with some video ADC with parallel RGB output and chained together. My choice of IT6263 was because it takes LVDS input that is much more common in LCD monitors than parallel RGB so I could re-use a half of the circuit.

Reply 13 of 18, by Zoomer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
agent_x007 wrote on 2022-02-07, 19:41:
When I bought my 4k screen (I own LG 27GP950 monitor since June 2021), I thought VGA to DP would be better. So I bought VC160A a […]
Show full quote

When I bought my 4k screen (I own LG 27GP950 monitor since June 2021), I thought VGA to DP would be better.
So I bought VC160A and Delock 62596 (in short : VGA => DVI => DP with optional VGA => DVI => HDMI [through passive adapter]).
Also, I recommend getting a two port switcher for ease of use between main PC, and test platform (type depends on needs HDMI/DP).

I use VGA to HDMI as backup (Delock 62408)

I'm currently looking for solutions that will help me to properly convert high display refresh rates from vga to dvi/hdmi.

The problem is that I have a high refresh rate monitor Samsung g7, that will accept almost anything over hdmi or dp (including the dvi->hdmi, any weird refresh rates like 88hz or 113hz), but that's when it coming out from modern video cards.

I've got a system where geforce 5700 is installed and I have all sorts of problems with its dvi output. The most it will output is only 75hz (even in 640x480). Anything more and it will revert to 60hz (even though the drivers think it's outputting e.g. 100hz).

So could you kindly test whether your setup gets high refresh rates through? If you have something to test it with. I have a reason to believe the card has some weird dvi implementation and I'll be replacing it but still I'd like to switch to vga and convert the signal myself.

MB: Asus P3B-F 1.03 (2x ISA)
CPU: PIII-S 1.4GHz/VIA C3 800MHz
RAM: 256MB PC133
Video: GeForce 4600Ti/Voodoo 5 5500/Voodoo 3 3500 for DOS Glide
Audio: SB16 OPL3 + Audigy Platinum Ex

Reply 14 of 18, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Zoomer wrote on 2023-04-12, 16:36:

I've got a system where geforce 5700 is installed and I have all sorts of problems with its dvi output. The most it will output is only 75hz (even in 640x480). Anything more and it will revert to 60hz (even though the drivers think it's outputting e.g. 100hz).

So could you kindly test whether your setup gets high refresh rates through? If you have something to test it with. I have a reason to believe the card has some weird dvi implementation and I'll be replacing it but still I'd like to switch to vga and convert the signal myself.

I tested Aten VC160A with ARK 2000PV PCI card under DOS with VGASUITE (connected via passive DVI-D/HDMI adapter to my LG 27GP950 monitor) :

Ambience 720x262 120Hz.jpg
Filename
Ambience 720x262 120Hz.jpg
File size
421.19 KiB
Views
File license
copper 720x400 70Hz.jpg
Filename
copper 720x400 70Hz.jpg
File size
531.58 KiB
Views
File license
luminati 720x362 87Hz.jpg
Filename
luminati 720x362 87Hz.jpg
File size
681.8 KiB
Views
File license
Time-56 720x400 56Hz.jpg
Filename
Time-56 720x400 56Hz.jpg
File size
606.87 KiB
Views
File license

Unless you want Windows test as well ?

Reply 15 of 18, by lloydie_p

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Guys, Similar to RayeR , I don't have space (London Living). I thought I'd come up with a great solution of using an Aten DVI-I KVM with Audio (CS1784A) that I got off eBay, so I could switch over from my daily driver PC to my retro boxes with ease, but then I realised that Windows 98/older boards generally need PS/2, so I bought a (bloody expensive) Black Box USB to PS/2 Converter (KVUSB-PS2), but I didn't want to buy another Converter for that price (~£100), thankfully I stumbled upon the Aten VGA (CS1732b) KVM, it has a USB only console that nicely daisy chained into the DVI KVM (CS1784A), but supports PC inputs (cables) that support VGA, PS/2 and Audio. Sounds all good...

Unfortunately, I pause my retro shenanigans for up to 6 months at a time and now realise I forget certain issues and don't put 2 + 2 together.

Basically, I have tested the above with a Voodoo 3 which works very well from a display compatibility point of view, but then I now realise that I get blank screen issues (input not supported) using cards like the Radeon 9250 (PCI), Nvidia FX 5700 (AGP) etc.. I first noticed this playing Z (A DOS game by The Bitmap Brothers) as some scenes wouldn't display (I should add Windows @ e.g. 640 x 480, 1024 x 768 etc... seem to work fine), the long story short, it seems the Aten KVMs are altering display modes (e.g. BIOS, DOS Screens/resolutions ) from these cards VGA outputs but its seems to "like" Voodoo card VGA signal (suspect the refresh rate).

@agent_x007 do know if the Aten VC160A is happy displaying various BIOS and DOS-related screen resolutions converted from VGA?

Ironically if I hook up MY FX 5700 via its DVI port the DVI KVM doesn't have these blank screen issues so reverse of your experience.

Reply 16 of 18, by lloydie_p

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

while writing the above I have gone back and done more testing and these issue are related to compatibility between all three components e.g. Video Card output -> the KVM -> Monitor. I have really old Ezio VGA/DVI LCD (Max 1024 x 768) that I got recently, and if use that instead of my newer monitors (iiyama's that I stupidly bought in 2020 and completely didn't realise that they didn't have DVI inputs) the blank screen issues (input not supported) don't occur using the VGA output of Aten KVM. So its not necessarily the KVM, I guess this is always going to a bit of trial and error, as it wouldn't now surprise me if someone with a Voodoo 3 Card with a different Monitor or KVM now claim they have display issues... the reverse of my experience using the Voodoo card.

After doing this testing, it looks like my best bet and most simple setup (only one KVM) is to get another Black Box USB to PS/2 Converter and a Aten VC160A (if agent_x007 says it plays nice with DOS e.g. resolutions lower than 680x480) .

This might also fix my last bugbear as every thing to the monitor and KVM will be digital/DVI-D using the VC160A. Currently since the Aten DVI-I KVM (CS1784A) has only a DVI-I output and my main monitor(s) doesn't have DVI (actually it looks like most(?) monitors DVI input is DVI-D only, so won't accept DVI-I 's Analog VGA signal/passthrough) I've had to use a splitter (DVI-I to HDMI and VGA) , but for reason unknown this "split" causes the Monitor (GPU/KVM?) to sometimes ignore the HDMI signal/input when switching the KVM between DVI-D and VGA sources... basically I have to faff about to get my dual monitor output on my main daily driver PC working.. seems to be the order in which the PCs are powered/started, but when they won't switch I have to manually disconnect or power down the VGA inputs force a redetect or reboot my main PC which is really annoying.

Sorry for the long read but hopefully this helps someone going down the KVM route facing these or similar issues.

Reply 17 of 18, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It plays nice with lower resolutions (did NOT checked game you had issues with though), BUT it isn't capable of always making them into 4:3 aspect ratio (so picture get's "stretched", for example 320x200 get's 16:10 ratio). You can somewhat fix this with buttons, but it's too much of a hassle (as you have to do it per resolution change).
Never had issues with picture not showing up on POST with my Aten VC 160A.

I had issues with some older DVI cards not displaying image until driver under windows takes over (mainly Radeon R300 based cards and GF4/FX), but that was due to limitations of DVIs on them (and capture card I used at the time), and neither Component/Composite or VGA outs had the same problem.

EDIT :
If DOS prompt (or Desktop) doesn't show up after exiting a program (ie. "I see a black screen" issue), a reset is required. It is done by pushing one of the buttons on bottom for 5-10 seconds.
Note : Disconnecting external power likely won't reset this adapter, unless both DVI and VGA connections are also teminated (since it is somewhat be powered via VGA, which may prevent it from reseting properly).

Last edited by agent_x007 on 2023-07-25, 10:03. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 18 of 18, by lloydie_p

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks agent_x007, Okay I'll give the Aten VC 160A a try in due course, before you replied and I was looking up the data sheets on the chips on the PCB/Circuit images you provided, the 8-BIT video DAC (VGA -> Digital) the Delock uses is a CAT9883C (CAT9883CCQ-150) and VC 160A uses a Analog Devices AD9983A and both use the ITE IT6613 (HDMI Transmitter) to convert the DAC output to DP/DVI-D. Sadly none of chip spec sheets simply mention resolutions lower than 480i (30Hz) so thanks to you again for your real world feedback. Again to Assist others does the Delock perform as well to the best of your knowledge?

Was looking at the chips to see if they are any cheaper/used alternatives (it wouldn't surprise me that the Delock or Aten is clone of some generic application of the chips) that might have chance at working okay... granted I can't be sure how much firmware and the microprocessor types play a part.

Need to check out VGASUITE as I wasn't aware of such a ready made tester/benchmark. Lasty I think its more an issue with modern screens, converters, switchers (KVMs) more than issues with retro video cards, as I don't recall (used work as an IT field engineer back in the day) these blank screen issues with DOS/BIOS screens on CRTs and (early) LCD from the same era e.g. the old Ezio XGA LCD.