VOGONS

First post, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I finally have an ASUS P5A motherboard that works so I am going to do a build with it.

This is the same model board I had back in the day when I was running a K6-2 550 at 660Mhz (120x5.5).

I'll post pics when I get the rest of the parts settled and have it put together.

Recommendations for video and sound are welcome.

This will be a DOS / Win98SE build.

Specs so far:

Case - In-Win S500:
https://www.extremeoverclocking.com/reviews/c … Win-S500_1.html

PSU - Seasonic SS-500ET (Will probably stick a lower wattage in here but they are all in other cases right now)

MB - ASUS P5A v1.04

CPU - AMD K6-2+ 570 - Might change to a K6-3+ 450

CPU Cooler - Antec branded thin fin heatsink with inlaid copper base. Was meant for S370/4672, but works perfectly fine for Socket 7 though I did have to trim the PSU ATX plug for clearance.

RAM - 256MB PC-133

Video - Voodoo 3 3000D (Dell OEM version of the V3-3000.. I think)

Sound - Not sure about this yet. My original build would have had an Opti 930 based card with onboard wavetable. One of the few pieces I kept from back then. Pretty sure I used that card starting with a 386 system... or maybe it started in a 486 system. Picked it up used at a local electronics store - Elliot Electronics in Tucson, AZ.

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2022-02-06, 01:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 1 of 4, by 1541

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Running a similar setup here for DOS/Win98...

Video: Gedorce 3 Ti 200 works nicely on this board.
Sound: ESS1868F with separate wavetable

Since you are using K6-2+/K6-III+ I'd also recommend K6DOS.sys for your CONFIG.SYS (sets the CPU multiplier on the fly as soon as possible during bootup. Setmul.exe does a similar good job in AUTOEXEC.BAT or the DOS prompt in general)

💾 Windows 9x resources (drivers, tools, NUSB,...) 💾

Reply 2 of 4, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Been thinking about it and I am going to test with V3-2000, 3000, and 3500.

The GeForce 2/3 cards are really going to be CPU bottlenecked by the CPU.

I did do a bit of testing with one of my K6-2+ 570 CPUs and it would POST at around 630Mhz but no higher. Going to test with my K6-3+ 450 to see how high I can get it. I know it will do at least 600Mhz because I was doing testing on some P5A-B boards a while back.

Also need to update the BIOS on this board as it just reads it as a "-MMX" CPU

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 4, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've settled on a V3-3000 for the video for now.
Removed the old aluminum thermal pad that was originally used and replaced it with Mx-5 paste.

Think I have sound cards figured out for now as well.

Windows:
1. Sound Blaster Live! or Audigy or Audigy 2 ZS card.
2. Aureal Vortex 2

DOS:
1. AWE32 - pretty sure I want to use one of these.. Or I could do AWE64 and use a Yamaha YMF7x4 card for the SB-Pro and OPL3 support
2. Intelligent mode MIDI card.. I really want to play around with the GM map for the MT-32 and do some recording on newer DOS games.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK