VOGONS

Reply 20 of 43, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You need to write all this stuff down somewhere. I used a Palm PDA for many years to list everything. In recent years I've been moving all the information over to Microsoft Word documents. This is still in progress, as by the time I stopped using the PDA there were thousands of entries.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 22 of 43, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Insert modern business here. Just like Jayztwocents and Dawid does tech stuff have said time and time again these mega corporations answer to their shareholders and investors the consumer takes a back seat

Reply 23 of 43, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-02-08, 07:07:

Sadly Newegg is not what it used to be.
'Newegg Scammed Us' Gamers Nexus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fnXsmXzphI

Sad to find this out. When I got my first computer in November of 2000, my neighbor gave me a slick color catalog of this mail order outfit called Tiger Direct. I began ordering from them, and never had any problems (they did send me a Soyo Socket A board when I had ordered an SY-5EMA+, but that mistake was in my favor) but I soon found out that they had a very bad reputation which was backed up by their ResellerRatings.com feedback. Newegg was recommended to me, and I've been ordering things from them since 2001 with almost no issues (and the few that I've had were taken care of to my satisfaction). I've actually ordered things from them knowing I could get them for less from Amazon because I wanted to support some competition for Amazon.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 24 of 43, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been using Newegg since 05 I also switched from Tigerdirect. I've honestly have had no real issues with them. I've been burned by Amazon more times than I can count and I haven't ordered anything from Amazon in over 5 years. Besides their bad customer service I just can't afford Amazon's prices. It isn't hard to look at other sites and get what you want much cheaper even with shipping. But no company is perfect so just shop where you feel comfortable. I try as much as possible to support my local brick and mortar shops and with shopping local I don't have to wait days till what I ordered to arrive.

Reply 25 of 43, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-02-08, 18:25:

I've been using Newegg since 05 I also switched from Tigerdirect. I've honestly have had no real issues with them. I've been burned by Amazon more times than I can count and I haven't ordered anything from Amazon in over 5 years. Besides their bad customer service I just can't afford Amazon's prices. It isn't hard to look at other sites and get what you want much cheaper even with shipping. But no company is perfect so just shop where you feel comfortable. I try as much as possible to support my local brick and mortar shops and with shopping local I don't have to wait days till what I ordered to arrive.

As people in the comments for the "Scammed by Newegg" video point out, Newegg was purchased by another company and it isn't the same as it was back in the early to mid 2000s. Their present ResellerRatings score reinforces that point.

Attachments

Reply 26 of 43, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ugh, how did they let this happen? This is a complete reversal from 2001 when I first found ResellerRatings.

Attachments

Reply 27 of 43, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's why I try to buy from local businesses as much as possible. I'm fortunate enough to have two local mom and pop computer shops in my area so I tend to get what I need there instead of online. They save me time and money. I really wish there was a microcenter near me as well. I've also been buying alot lately from frozencpu.com there located in the next state and my parts usually arrive in 2 maybe 3 days. In the past couple of months I've also used performance-pcs.com. Both frozencpu and performance-pcs are small business that have a great selection of parts, excellent customer service, and very reasonable prices and shipping times.

Reply 28 of 43, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-02-08, 18:55:

Ugh, how did they let this happen? This is a complete reversal from 2001 when I first found ResellerRatings.

That's what happens when investors and shareholders come into the picture. It's sadly really but it's happening more and more with everything.

Reply 29 of 43, by pinesal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This post breaks my heart. I guess we could have wished they offered to let you download that history but who'd of thought that'd be important to anyone? We are silly people.

Hang out in the 90s with me on Twitch: The 90s Retro Gaming https://twitch.tv/90snick_pinesal
Retro Battlestation:
FIC VA-503+
AMD K6-2+ @ 600mhz
ATI Rage Fury 16MB
128mb PC100 RAM
137GB SSD
Windows 98

Reply 30 of 43, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sadly most people probably don't care about stuff ordered way back then so to the average consumer it doesn't matter. I personally like having access to all of that information and I should of done my due diligence last year and at least screenshoted everything.

Reply 31 of 43, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ohoh! I figured something out!!!

Simply type an asterisk * into the search box on your order history page.

This will literally bring up everything you've ever ordered.

FANTASTIC!

EDIT: It seems pretty easy to just go to each page of the order history and middle click the order details button to open a new tab, then click the tab, Ctrl-S to save as HTML. This is in Firefox by the way. The page titles have the order number, so it will stay somewhat organized. The benefit to doing it this way is that the links to the items will still work as long as newegg keeps those old pages up. I can still pull up the page for a K7S5A I bought in 2001 and all the pictures and specs are there... but it's so old there is no name on the product! 😀

Holy crap. I found the invoice for my red Icemat 2 mousepad which I'm still using constantly after 13 years!!!

Also just discovered something after many years of using Windows 10... it apparently has numerical sorting enabled, without needing leading zeros? Like, all of the files with long order numbers are in the correct order even though the oldest ones have fewer digits. I don't know how I've never noticed this before, but my mind is blown. I've always just manually added leading zeros when sorting files for the past 20+ years.

Last edited by Ozzuneoj on 2022-02-09, 04:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 32 of 43, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2022-02-09, 04:09:
Ohoh! I figured something out!!! […]
Show full quote

FANTASTIC!

EDIT: It seems pretty easy to just go to each page of the order history and middle click the order details button to open a new tab, then click the tab, Ctrl-S to save as HTML. This is in Firefox by the way. The page titles have the order number, so it will stay somewhat organized. The benefit to doing it this way is that the links to the items will still work as long as newegg keeps those old pages up. I can still pull up the page for a K7S5A I bought in 2001 and all the pictures and specs are there... but it's so old there is no name on the product! 😀

Holy crap. I found the invoice for my red Icemat 2 mousepad which I'm still using constantly after 13 years!!!

That. Is. Awesome. Works like a charm.

Reply 34 of 43, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote on 2022-02-09, 04:29:
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2022-02-09, 04:09:
Ohoh! I figured something out!!! […]
Show full quote

FANTASTIC!

That. Is. Awesome. Works like a charm.

Yep! And if you have trouble going back too many pages and then trying to go forward (going from 22 to 21 worked, but then 20 would come up blank), then you may need to just start from the lower numbers and work up. That worked for me.

Reply 35 of 43, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow, not to be a downer but seeing some of this stuff is actually strangely emotional. Lots of components and stuff that I bought as gifts or used in builds for people, but some were for my mother and sister who are no longer alive. Kind of takes me back to doing the research, ordering the item, getting the package and presenting it to them to improve their lives a little bit.

EDIT: Okay, it has been done. All 22 pages of my history are saved. The file size is kind of absurd (nearly 900MB total) thanks to a bunch of .js files. I deleted the two 2MB+ .js files out of one of the folders and the pages still load fine, there's just some advertising junk that's broken at the top of the page.

I deleted those two large .js files from each folder which got it down to 300MB, then compressed it all into a 76MB .zip file. Not bad! If they ever take the old pages down I have a backup now at least. 😁

Last edited by Ozzuneoj on 2022-02-09, 05:02. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 36 of 43, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2022-02-09, 04:35:

Wow, not to be a downer but seeing some of this stuff is actually strangely emotional. Lots of components and stuff that I bought as gifts or used in builds for people, but some were for my mother and sister who are no longer alive. Kind of takes me back to doing the research, ordering the item, getting the package and presenting it to them to improve their lives a little bit.

Sorry for your loss. Some of my old orders definitely remind me of simpler times.

Apparently, in 2005, I ordered a very purple slotted motherboard. Huh. Doesn't ring a bell. Ok. If they say so. 🤣

Reply 37 of 43, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote on 2022-02-09, 04:47:
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2022-02-09, 04:35:

Sorry for your loss. Some of my old orders definitely remind me of simpler times. Apparently, in 2005, I ordered a very purple slotted motherboard. Huh. Doesn't ring a bell. Ok. 🤣

Thank you. And indeed, they do remind me of simpler times as well, but I guess that's what happens as we get older. More stuff gets stuffed into the brain, and it's all in there somewhere in need of a good defragmenting (or TRIM, depending on how you feel about the memories).

As soon as you said purple slotted motherboard I figured it'd be a Soltek. 😁

Reply 38 of 43, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Right, an 'open box' item. You've got to watch that.

Many years ago I nearly got scammed the same way by a different company. This was back when DVD burners were expensive (early 2000s) and I decided to save some money by buying a returned/refurbished unit. However they sent me the wrong drive -- an older less, capable one -- then insisted that was the drive I had bought and refused to give me a refund.

Fortunately I was able to dig around in my browser's cache (this was Opera) and find a saved copy of the sales page, proving my case. They then gave me the refund.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 39 of 43, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote on 2022-02-11, 02:29:

Right, an 'open box' item. You've got to watch that.

holy crap it gets worse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL-eB_Bv5Ik
The box was indeed opened, by newegg themselves. They send RMA to Gigabyte half a year prior, were told socket is damaged and repair will be $100 (on $400 item), decided thats too much just sent it back ... then put it on the shelf with that original Gigabyte RMA sticker including date case number their own corporate name everything, and finally sold this Known bad motherboard to Gamers Nexus few months later just to scam him claiming he damaged it 😮

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction