VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 26, by Big Pink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's showing up again now - could be they're prioritising VP9 and AV1 on new uploads and later offering an h.264 encoding, but they're definitely expanding the use of the newer codecs. I haven't watched YouTube in the browser since the Flash days. The site is too bloated and bogs down Firefox, so I use YT-DLP to pipe the video URL to VLC.

I thought IBM was born with the world

Reply 21 of 26, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anyone else noticing YouTube weirdness the last week or so where videos keep pausing for no reason, plenty of data buffered (Sometimes it looks like it's loaded the whole video to the end and it's still doing it) , on both chrome, chrome android and YT app android, sometimes it's a single random pause, sometimes it won't even play for 5 seconds before it pauses again... not all vids affected... seems pretty random.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 22 of 26, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-02-11, 02:18:

Anyone else noticing YouTube weirdness the last week or so where videos keep pausing for no reason, plenty of data buffered (Sometimes it looks like it's loaded the whole video to the end and it's still doing it) , on both chrome, chrome android and YT app android, sometimes it's a single random pause, sometimes it won't even play for 5 seconds before it pauses again... not all vids affected... seems pretty random.

Well I do have YT app weirdness. When playing a playlist on the phone in fullscreen, sometimes when I go out of fullscreen, the suggested videos list, comments and the other videos in the playlist that would appear under the video, disappears to a black area.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 23 of 26, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For Edge, you need to install the Microsoft Media Extensions from the Microsoft Store. They will enable use of advanced Web codecs in Windows 10/11 software that would use it and Microsoft Edge. They have them for HEVC, AV1, and some others.

Reply 24 of 26, by pixelatedscraps

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anders- wrote on 2022-01-11, 17:58:

Here's a video available in 8K for me, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf3bDpdhUNc - does the 8K work for you?

Possibly cdn caching issue?

It's only available in 4K running Safari 15.3 on MacOS 12.2.1 for me but works fine on Firefox 97.0

My ultimate dual 440LX / Voodoo2 SLI build

Reply 25 of 26, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anders- wrote on 2022-01-11, 17:58:

Here's a video available in 8K for me, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf3bDpdhUNc - does the 8K work for you?

Possibly cdn caching issue?

I get up to 8K on Chrome and Firefox and up to 4K in Edge .

That is on Windows 10 .

Reply 26 of 26, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Something that's been bugging me over the past year or so is a shift in how youtube handles it's compression options with videos that were uploaded at 60fps.
60fps videos no longer have a 1080p30 option at all (format 137), and while there is a 720p30 option (format 136), that format is now being heavily compressed so it's quality is noticeably inferior to the 60fps versions.
When I download videos I like to be sensible with the format options because I might keep the file, or I just don't want the download to take forever. As such I often prefer 30fps but in good quality.
It now seems that the best way to get a good 30fps file from youtube is to download one of the hugely bloated hi-res 60fps files and then recompress it in handbrake. Hardly worth the bother with most things.

More recently, I'm discovering that if I decide to suffer through their web site experience, I can't even watch 1080p videos on my main PC anymore without stuttering and total freezing. Maybe it's because of the VP9/whatever vs h.264 issue mentioned earlier. This computer has never had h.264 acceleration (GTX285 video card) but it was always able to handle it in software until now.