Topic actions

Reply 42520 of 52896, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Meatball wrote on 2022-02-11, 00:02:

Canopus Pure3DII LX Voodoo2 SLI

Also bought a PCI Voodoo3 3000 for cheap, but it was too good to be true. No video out. Seller refunded.

Bummer²

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 42521 of 52896, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got this in the mail today. It is going to replace the onboard Chips F82C451 256K in the Philips P3238.

There is a small dent in the oscillator and a few bent pins, but I don't expect any issues.

Attachments

• DSC_2539~2.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_2539~2.JPG
    File size
    1.58 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 42522 of 52896, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PD2JK wrote on 2022-02-11, 16:45:

I got this in the mail today. It is going to replace the onboard Chips F82C451 256K in the Philips P3238.

There is a small dent in the oscillator and a few bent pins, but I don't expect any issues.

Nice. With this memory it's pretty much the fastest (or at least one of the fastest) ISA SVGAs available. These chips perform way better than ET4000AX for example...

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 42523 of 52896, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Last week I bought a complete retro computer from a local seller. The case contains a Pentium 166 on Gigabyte GA-586HX V2.01, HIS S3 with RAM upgrade to 4 MB and a soundcard with ES1868F

P166_A.jpg
Filename
P166_A.jpg
File size
163.3 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
P166_B.jpg
Filename
P166_B.jpg
File size
296.67 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
P166_C.jpg
Filename
P166_C.jpg
File size
394.15 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

He also offered me a pretty dusty 386-Board (FIC 386-SC-HQ) with an AMD 386/40 and an IIT 4C87DLC-40 FPU. Unfortunately the battery is already leaking.

MB386.jpg
Filename
MB386.jpg
File size
468.89 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
MB386_Battery.jpg
Filename
MB386_Battery.jpg
File size
284.96 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 42524 of 52896, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HanJammer wrote on 2022-02-11, 17:22:
PD2JK wrote on 2022-02-11, 16:45:

Nice. With this memory it's pretty much the fastest (or at least one of the fastest) ISA SVGAs available. These chips perform way better than ET4000AX for example...

in what application?
they're pretty much exactly on par performance-wise ^^

at least I hadn't noticed any difference at all apart from the colors on the WD being overly saturated.

Reply 42525 of 52896, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanSolo wrote on 2022-02-12, 01:46:

He also offered me a pretty dusty 386-Board (FIC 386-SC-HQ) with an AMD 386/40 and an IIT 4C87DLC-40 FPU. Unfortunately the battery is already leaking.

Damage doesn't look too extensive yet.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 42526 of 52896, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
debs3759 wrote on 2022-02-12, 02:38:

I don't know about that. The battery looks pretty busted to me.

Reply 42527 of 52896, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-02-12, 02:40:
debs3759 wrote on 2022-02-12, 02:38:

I don't know about that. The battery looks pretty busted to me.

I don't see extensive damage to tracks though, so removing the battery and washing with vinegar then IPA might be the only fix that's needed.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 42528 of 52896, by mattferris@hotmail.c

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-02-09, 23:30:

The Matsonic MS7-112C is another combo Socket 370 / Slot 1 (you can only use on at a time of course). I picked one up as a novelty but I don't think it supports Coppermine, if I recall, so it's not as useful as some other dedicated Slot 1 boards. It does have 2 ISA slots and AGP though which is nice.

I bought it initially to use for testing processors but since it didn't support many processors its usefulness is limited for this purpose.

I had a Tyan Trinity 400 that could do either a S370 or a Slot1. I got that in ~2000 and put a slot 1 coppermine 800 in it. I really loved that PC. I still have the Voodoo 5 5500 in my closet.

Reply 42529 of 52896, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Meatball wrote on 2022-02-11, 00:02:

Canopus Pure3DII LX Voodoo2 SLI

Awesome set! I've been casually on the lookout for a pair of Canopus Voodoo2 boards (I already have several Diamond and STB boards), only time I found a pair for sale on ebay they were boxed and sold for around $600 USD, far too rich for my blood. Hopefully you got a better deal than that.

Reply 42530 of 52896, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today the strange machine with the Voodoo 1 arrived.

IMG_6764.JPG
Filename
IMG_6764.JPG
File size
1.54 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_6791.JPG
Filename
IMG_6791.JPG
File size
1.55 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_6797.JPG
Filename
IMG_6797.JPG
File size
1.48 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_6811.JPG
Filename
IMG_6811.JPG
File size
1.63 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_6802.JPG
Filename
IMG_6802.JPG
File size
1.48 MiB
Views
File license

Sometimes I feel a strong urge to yell into the face of Ebay sellers.
tExQ9o4.gif

At least the Voodoo didn't get hit. That's the one part I wanted for myself.
It's a Diamond Monster 3D, Rev. B from 1996 with the old Diamond logo. Does that make it more valuable?

I wasn't able to start Unreal. Wouldn't even start. After a quick Google search, I learned that I need a multi texture patch. But that didn't help either. Now it just uses my GeForce (for which I haven't installed the drivers on the testing system) in windowed mode.
However, the Donut benchmark works fine. Is 30fps normal? Can I assume, that the card is fine, when the benchmark displays without flaws?

I also noticed, that the passthrough signal is blured. From what I've read, this should be normal.
But I also noticed that there are "waves" going from one corner to another. Is this also normal?

Reply 42531 of 52896, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I found this Beige beauty new in box on Craigslist locally for 5 Dollars. I kinda dig the art deco look on the bottom.

Attachments

Reply 42532 of 52896, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2022-02-12, 04:13:

I also noticed, that the passthrough signal is blured. From what I've read, this should be normal.
But I also noticed that there are "waves" going from one corner to another. Is this also normal?

That appears to be a common issue in earlier Diamond Monster 3D cards.
Diamond Voodoo 1, bad passthrough video quality

Reply 42533 of 52896, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Today the strange machine with the Voodoo 1 arrived. IMG_6764.JPG IMG_6791.JPG IMG_6797.JPG IMG_6811.JPG IMG_6802.JPG Sometimes […]
Show full quote

IMG_6764.JPG
IMG_6791.JPG
IMG_6797.JPG
IMG_6811.JPG
IMG_6802.JPG
tExQ9o4.gif

It's a Diamond Monster 3D, Rev. B from 1996 with the old Diamond logo. Does that make it more valuable?

I wasn't able to start Unreal. Wouldn't even start. After a quick Google search, I learned that I need a multi texture patch. But that didn't help either. Now it just uses my GeForce (for which I haven't installed the drivers on the testing system) in windowed mode.
However, the Donut benchmark works fine. Is 30fps normal? Can I assume, that the card is fine, when the benchmark displays without flaws?

That poor CPU and cooler 🙁

You would think they would at least pack the inside of the case with newspaper or something else cheap to pad the interior.

Reply 42534 of 52896, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-02-12, 08:14:
Today the strange machine with the Voodoo 1 arrived. IMG_6764.JPG IMG_6791.JPG IMG_6797.JPG IMG_6811.JPG IMG_6802.JPG Sometimes […]
Show full quote

IMG_6764.JPG
IMG_6791.JPG
IMG_6797.JPG
IMG_6811.JPG
IMG_6802.JPG
tExQ9o4.gif

You would think they would at least pack the inside of the case with newspaper or something else cheap to pad the interior.

That may do more harm than good. It could cause ESD damage even though the vast majority of packages are unaffected by HSFs coming off of the motherboard. People may start using other mats to fill the insides. I'd rather they put nothing in there, not even take off the dust so I know (sometimes stupid) people won't be handling it any more than needed 😜
Even though these 'modern' HSFs are a lot heavier than the earlier stuff like s370 and s7, the mounting mechanism is usually quite secure.
It would probably have been better to have taped the HSF to the bottom of the case, just in case and especially since the board is µATX there is lots of spare room on the bottom anyway.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 42535 of 52896, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote on 2022-02-12, 09:36:
That may do more harm than good. It could cause ESD damage even though the vast majority of packages are unaffected by HSFs comi […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

IMG_6764.JPG
IMG_6791.JPG
IMG_6797.JPG
IMG_6811.JPG
IMG_6802.JPG
tExQ9o4.gif

That may do more harm than good. It could cause ESD damage even though the vast majority of packages are unaffected by HSFs coming off of the motherboard. People may start using other mats to fill the insides. I'd rather they put nothing in there, not even take off the dust so I know (sometimes stupid) people won't be handling it any more than needed 😜
Even though these 'modern' HSFs are a lot heavier than the earlier stuff like s370 and s7, the mounting mechanism is usually quite secure.
It would probably have been better to have taped the HSF to the bottom of the case, just in case and especially since the board is µATX there is lots of spare room on the bottom anyway.

Newspaper carries very little risk of ESD far less risk to the system than a loose HSF does, I've even asked sellers to remove the HSF and package it separate from the PC since it doesnt matter how damn secure you think it is, its less secure than the postal service is at handling the package. As Linus has proven it takes a phenomenal amount of static to destroy or damage components far more than you'll ever encounter from packaging materials, yes its good to take precautions and one always should but overstating the risk is also wrong. (You get the same crap from people who think magnetic screwdrivers will damage a PC, they wont, they are not even close to being strong enough to do that)

Only time I wouldn't bother with packaging mats in the case is if I was picking it up myself, if its going by post .. then it needs the protection against the mail handling.

The only time I expect the risk to be greater from ESD is with older sensitive components which do require more delicate handling, but you wouldn't be buying them from stupid people.

Reply 42536 of 52896, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-02-12, 09:50:
Newspaper carries very little risk of ESD far less risk to the system than a loose HSF does, I've even asked sellers to remove t […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote on 2022-02-12, 09:36:
That may do more harm than good. It could cause ESD damage even though the vast majority of packages are unaffected by HSFs comi […]
Show full quote

Newspaper carries very little risk of ESD far less risk to the system than a loose HSF does, I've even asked sellers to remove the HSF and package it separate from the PC since it doesnt matter how damn secure you think it is, its less secure than the postal service is at handling the package. As Linus has proven it takes a phenomenal amount of static to destroy or damage components far more than you'll ever encounter from packaging materials, yes its good to take precautions and one always should but overstating the risk is also wrong. (You get the same crap from people who think magnetic screwdrivers will damage a PC, they wont, they are not even close to being strong enough to do that)

Only time I wouldn't bother with packaging mats in the case is if I was picking it up myself, if its going by post .. then it needs the protection against the mail handling.

The only time I expect the risk to be greater from ESD is with older sensitive components which do require more delicate handling, but you wouldn't be buying them from stupid people.

I think you misinterpreted what Linus has proven. This was all modern components and we here are mostly into older components. And it wasn't exactly scientific either. Iirc he didn't even claim it to be anything scientific but it's been a while since I watched it so I may misremember some of the details.
It works (vastly) different compared to back then. He was handling hardware which is more modern than the most modern hardware I am even using 🤣.
And ESD damage may not be apparent at first, but it's a proven fact that it exists and that it damages. I'm not taking any unnecessary risks with my precious parts but I can fully understand if a few others want to be more careless. It's their stuff in the end. They can do whatever they want but I'd prefer they don't go understating the importance of facts but anyway this is a separate subject.

And I think you're not getting what I was trying to say regarding the packaging as the usage of newspaper is not the main issue I tried to convey.
The issue for me is that if people start making this way of packaging into a habit, not only will padding with newspaper probably not work anyway (a few blobs of crumbled up newspaper will still not do much vs a 700g metal heatsink anyway except give a false sense of security). And secondly if it turns into a well known and standardized habit, people will start using other packaging materials which will cause a lot more ESD damage compared to newspaper or may ruin the internals in some other way.

Asking to send separately is of course the best option for this 😀
But many sellers probably just can't be bothered or you won't get as good as a deal out of it. Or they will sell it to someone else or cancel the deal or cause other obstacles.
Personally I never bothered to have complete systems send, I always asked if I could go pick it up. It may be more hassle for me, but it's usually less hassle for the seller so they are inclined to agree with me or to even sell it to me at a lower price (or sell to me at all instead of to someone else). Also I can do all the packaging myself so it won't arrive with extra scratches, dents or more severe damage which can hamper the functionality of the items in question.
I even bought a full system a few times and had to CARRY it back home xD
But god dammit I wanted it 🤣! 😜

But anyway, mailing complete systems (or even things such as CRT monitors) can be quite risky. I once even ordered a simple whiteboard and it arrive with a dent in it. It gets handled like a bunch of football balls.
Communicating with potential sellers is key. Just try to be nice, offer some extra if it means they will be sending the package in a more secure way. For all I know offer to give a nice feedback even.

It's a real shame the cooler came off. The damage to the motherboard heatsink looks hefty as well. The CPU looks quite hopeless alas.
The motherboard may still work (it probably does if it worked when it was send) but I'd just unmount and remount the motherboard heatsink just in case.
I still think this motherboard is nice. Well except for the now damaged heatsink of course 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 42537 of 52896, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-02-12, 09:50:

That may do more harm than good. It could cause ESD damage even though the vast majority of packages are unaffected by HSFs coming off of the motherboard.

I agree. Paper is pretty good when it comes to packing electronics, and heatsinks coming off the CPU socket (sometimes along with the CPU) are very frequent issue (at least half of the machines I'm getting arrives with the heat sink detached from the motherboard - fortunatelly those are usually 486s so damage is minimal if any.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 42538 of 52896, by mrfusion92

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A Mitac 5033

20220212-153457.jpg

Here other pics.

CPU AMD K6-2 @ 366Mhz
RAM 96 MB
VIDEO Trident 9660 2 MB VRAM
SOUND ESS 1869

Yes, it's ugly.
Yes, that's tape.
Yes, the plastic breaks while just looking at it.
Yes, it was very cheap.

But I love it! I've installed DOS 6.22 and Win 3.1. Good sound support in DOS using drivers found here.
I've got running every dos game i throwed it with no performance issues at all. Only Need for Speed crashes when a race is started (but I suspect I've bad files).

I don't care about the appearance, I wanted a working dos laptop. Besides there are near to zero spare parts available and what I found is in bad conditions as mine. So tape is only way to go!

Reply 42539 of 52896, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mrfusion92 wrote on 2022-02-12, 15:51:
A Mitac 5033 […]
Show full quote

A Mitac 5033

20220212-153457.jpg

Here other pics.

CPU AMD K6-2 @ 366Mhz
RAM 96 MB
VIDEO Trident 9660 2 MB VRAM
SOUND ESS 1869

Yes, it's ugly.
Yes, that's tape.
Yes, the plastic breaks while just looking at it.
Yes, it was very cheap.

But I love it! I've installed DOS 6.22 and Win 3.1. Good sound support in DOS using drivers found here.
I've got running every dos game i throwed it with no performance issues at all. Only Need for Speed crashes when a race is started (but I suspect I've bad files).

I don't care about the appearance, I wanted a working dos laptop. Besides there are near to zero spare parts available and what I found is in bad conditions as mine. So tape is only way to go!

Sounds like it is time to start 3d printing replacement plastics.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK