VOGONS

First post, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just came across this YouTube video by Tech Tangents announcing a new information website.
It's called "caps.wiki" https://caps.wiki and it's meant to be a database of information for parts and methods used for repairing electronics.
It's called that because the most common problem with old electronics is replacing capacitors.
I think this is going to be a great resource for retro computer enthusiasts.
For example, as soon as time and money permit, I hope to recap my Toshiba T5200 laptop; especially the power supply.
It would be great if I could reference a page from someone who's already done it, with a list of the caps I'll need, disassembly instructions, etc.
I gather this is not about project logs, however.

Anyway, here's a link to Tech Tangents' YouTube video announcing it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sKRMMe07XQ

Reply 1 of 7, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A flashy video a good site does not make. Still pretty light on content.

That said, at least it's a real Wiki that lets you upload stuff directly, unlike say UH19/Ultimate Hardware, which has great content, but equally great barriers to adding it.

Reply 3 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I really like Tech Tangents, He's obviously got a genuine interest in old electronics and has real knowledge on how thins work which alot of other you tubers (and myself) don't have.
But by his own admission it's going to take a fair bit of time and resources to really get going and I'm wondering if it's yet another project that will start off with good intentions but fade away as the creator loses interest.

But I wish it all the best luck and if it does take off then the community will be all the better for it!

Last edited by Stiletto on 2022-02-16, 02:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 7, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

TechTangents has been mostly about video content up til now and I think it'll take a while to get good content onto this new wiki, but I like the idea.

He's already done a deep dive on the Toshiba T1600 capacitor checking & repair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxQPWa-XBDY

I'm tempted to add some of the stuff I learned about batteries recently, but that's quite divergent from just capacitors. It'll be really nice if this takes off too, lots of old electronics are slowly failing from leaked or dried out capacitors.

Reply 5 of 7, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think he's very knowledgeable and determined, the type and quality of content he's put out there deserves people's optimism on this one. It really could be a wonderful resource.

At the same time the only thing that I can see that would deter it from growing would be those same qualities that I mentioned. He's someone that in his videos needs 20 sentences to explain something that could otherwise be done in 1 or 2. And while that particular attention to detail and side stepping from a point is not a problem in a video especially if it's entertaining, his attention and care for detail needs to be contained within his own functions for the site, because if he gets carried away and starts imposing too much specifications, caveats and addendums for people to upload and edit the site's content they will be easily demotivated

Reply 7 of 7, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote on 2022-02-08, 22:28:

A flashy video a good site does not make. Still pretty light on content.

That said, at least it's a real Wiki that lets you upload stuff directly, unlike say UH19/Ultimate Hardware, which has great content, but equally great barriers to adding it.

The goal his site and ours, while similar, isn't 100% identical. His site is more about repair information, while ours is more about general infos.
I appreciate the project idea ! While we try to cover many things, we can't expand our scope indefinitely. We've put some tips about repairs on some of our pages, but that's not the main goal. Having someone else to do it is good (having more sources of infos is better, no ?).

The barrier to add stuff is due to the fact it's a "handmade" system, so for "guest" users, we need to write a system to do that, which I definitely want to cover, but it's not an easy thing to do 🙁

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative