VOGONS

Reply 20920 of 27168, by CrFr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

First 3D-printed spare part I've ever made 😀 Repair part for my IBM monitor control door hinge. I only replaced left side, but right side might need some attention too. It is cracked, but still hanging in there, so I left it alone this time.

Glued in place.

1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
126.2 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Overview. I think the door lines up quite nicely. Gaps are even.

2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
261.57 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Door open. I considered painting the part, but decided not to. It would just get scratched and look worse.

3.jpg
Filename
3.jpg
File size
331.98 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 20922 of 27168, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CrFr wrote on 2022-02-14, 08:57:

First 3D-printed spare part I've ever made 😀 Repair part for my IBM monitor control door hinge. I only replaced left side, but right side might need some attention too. It is cracked, but still hanging in there, so I left it alone this time.

looks good, this is a great way of replacing small parts like this, 3d printing forms part of the future of vintage

Reply 20924 of 27168, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had this ES688 card that I had marked as faulty a few years ago - apparently there was no audio on right channel. So I took it today, reflowed the solder joints on every component from the ES688 to the amp to the output, and now I have clean sound on both channels. Two thumbs up.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 20925 of 27168, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2022-02-16, 06:41:

I had this ES688 card that I had marked as faulty a few years ago - apparently there was no audio on right channel. So I took it today, reflowed the solder joints on every component from the ES688 to the amp to the output, and now I have clean sound on both channels. Two thumbs up.

Always had a soft spot for ESS sound cards, my first real sound card back in the day was a ISA ESS 1868 and then a little later a nice ESS 1938s Solo-1, always found they were amazingly compatible and the Solo-1 just works as a PCI Soundblaster in DOS with little fuss.

Nice to see this 688 resurrected and hopefully off to serve a few more years in another retro system !

Reply 20926 of 27168, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did some work on my Tualatin build: swapped the 4400Ti and the TNT2 M64 cards around and disabled a couple of AGP items since they might've been the root cause of the boot-up issues where it'll lock up after the Windows 98 logo.

Will reinstall the 4400Ti and V2 card to see if that issue continues or if it's resolved completely.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 20928 of 27168, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A succesful evening. Removed the leaking battery from a 386-board I unexpectedly got last week. Fortunately there were no signs of critical damage on the board and indeed it's still working 😀
My second PC was a 386/40 so I can rebuild my system from back then (or at least a similar one)

MB386_Battery.jpg

MB386_Battery2.jpg
Filename
MB386_Battery2.jpg
File size
272.8 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 20929 of 27168, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah good, you did actually get it, and it's not badly affected by it's battery vomiting. I want all the 386-40 mini boards.... All. Of. Them. 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 20930 of 27168, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good save, my friend. Got lucky on a couple of boards and the rest, not so much.

My Colt PC suffered from battery leakage and it worked for a couple of days until the system decided to crash half way through the stream.

Still need to fix it.

Reply 20931 of 27168, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanSolo wrote on 2022-02-17, 00:13:

A succesful evening. Removed the leaking battery from a 386-board I unexpectedly got last week. Fortunately there were no signs of critical damage on the board and indeed it's still working 😀

Nice. Maybe the board was stored upside down and none of the acid made it onto the board. Who knows? Thank you gravity. 😀

Reply 20932 of 27168, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Troubleshooting weirdness with a PLE133% + Celeron 1300 build. Whenever I run a doom timedemo it crashes out immediately with an s_sound.c error. Whenever I try a quake timedemo, it completes, but when I try it again, it either crashes out or locks up. Also, when I play Doom, I get weird visual artifacts. Any ideas? I'll try downgrading to a Celeron 533 and see what that does. I tried memtest86+ on the 256MB PC-100 stick for half an hour and got no errors, so RAM is not the issue.. The system does reserve 8MB for onboard VGA (which I am not using, but can't disable because shitty BIOS) so I am wondering if RAM allocation is somehow weird?

Note: Using shareware versions of Doom and Quake from Phil's benchmark pack.

Reply 20933 of 27168, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On other board/CPU combos, I might think that was a cache thing. Timing problems likely if nothing had gone bad... but all the timings are baked in here.. But, I remember the Celeron Tualatin has slightly different cache arrangements than the Tualatin PIII and released a little later... so could it be possible you have a BIOS with tualatin support, but not specifically celeron tualatin and it's handling the cache wrong???

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 20934 of 27168, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tested a health monitoring software on an NT Workstation and NT Server VM to see how they would perform on the OSes and the health monitoring looks really nice.

Sadly, the DMI software for Windows 95 wouldn't open as it would crash after the splash screen and I think that has something to do with the VM vs real hardware, so it'll get tested on my Tualatin build that has an Award BIOS.

Reply 20935 of 27168, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-02-17, 14:01:

On other board/CPU combos, I might think that was a cache thing. Timing problems likely if nothing had gone bad... but all the timings are baked in here.. But, I remember the Celeron Tualatin has slightly different cache arrangements than the Tualatin PIII and released a little later... so could it be possible you have a BIOS with tualatin support, but not specifically celeron tualatin and it's handling the cache wrong???

It's not that, for sure. The board refused to boot up with a Mendocino Celeron (known working), a VIA C3 (possibly faulty?) or a Coppermine Celeron (also possibly faulty?) but it did work with a Coppermine P3 800. However, the problems remained. It is also incredibly picky about RAM it accepts. Regardless, it's a very flaky, and frustrating board.

One thing I noticed is that almost all problems happen in games that run in protected mode or with their own memory managers of some kind, ie. Doom, Quake etc. I am guessing the BIOS on this board does something wonkny with memory management, probably due to reserving memory for shared VRAM and AGP Aperture, that messes with memory management for these titles. I've come to the conclusion that PLE133T is a way too advanced platform to build a DOS PC around, so I am going to try my luck with an MVP4 board instead.

Fingers crossed..

Last edited by appiah4 on 2022-02-18, 06:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 20936 of 27168, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Spent the afternoon cleaning and then repasting a GeForce 4 TI4600 128mb with a new cooler, however the GPU has what looks like a bad memory chip(s) on it, large square patches of corruption on an otherwise clear and viewable picture. Perhaps I need to reflow the memory BGA chips with a hot air gun or replace them. Unless another member has some insight as to other possibilities for failed components.

Either way the GPU is going back into storage till I have the time and patience to reflow it.

Shame too as its a nice looking GPU.

Knowing me ill grab another Ti4600 and this one will stay in storage 🤣.

Reply 20937 of 27168, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Copied the IMG directory and the 400 Series specification video from the 400CDT laptop hard drive. The IMG directory contains all of the recovery diskette images for the laptop in case I have to run the recovery, which I'll put most of it on CDs and the rest on diskettes.

Reply 20938 of 27168, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote on 2022-02-18, 06:01:
It's not that, for sure. The board refused to boot up with a Mendocino Celeron (known working), a VIA C3 (possibly faulty?) or […]
Show full quote

It's not that, for sure. The board refused to boot up with a Mendocino Celeron (known working), a VIA C3 (possibly faulty?) or a Coppermine Celeron (also possibly faulty?) but it did work with a Coppermine P3 800. However, the problems remained. It is also incredibly picky about RAM it accepts. Regardless, it's a very flaky, and frustrating board.

One thing I noticed is that almost all problems happen in games that run in protected mode or with their own memory managers of some kind, ie. Doom, Quake etc. I am guessing the BIOS on this board does something wonkny with memory management, probably due to reserving memory for shared VRAM and AGP Aperture, that messes with memory management for these titles. I've come to the conclusion that PLE133T is a way too advanced platform to build a DOS PC around, so I am going to try my luck with an MVP4 board instead.

Fingers crossed..

Ok so entirely different drive, CPU and RAM and the issues persist. The only thing in common between the two builds at this point is the CF-IDE adapter and CF card (replaced the ribbon cable). I'm guessing one of the two is suspect..

Reply 20939 of 27168, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote on 2022-02-18, 11:41:
appiah4 wrote on 2022-02-18, 06:01:
It's not that, for sure. The board refused to boot up with a Mendocino Celeron (known working), a VIA C3 (possibly faulty?) or […]
Show full quote

Fingers crossed..

Ok so entirely different drive, CPU and RAM and the issues persist. The only thing in common between the two builds at this point is the CF-IDE adapter and CF card (replaced the ribbon cable). I'm guessing one of the two is suspect..

Setting the CF-Card up as LBA and repartitioning it seems to have fixed it.. Kind of. The only problem I now have is that when I try to run DOOM shareware a second time I get a weird error:

DOS4/16M error [40]: Not enough available extended memory (XMS)

Is this a known extender bug?