VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 42620 of 52692, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2022-02-18, 06:06:

Very interesting, I never knew such a thing existed.

There is another device like this:
https://www-stcarchiv-de.translate.goog/stc19 … &_x_tr_pto=wapp

I got it a few months ago in a scrap lot, but didn't have time to test it yet:

JanusCard.JPG
Filename
JanusCard.JPG
File size
1.01 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

It's even the rarer variant with Motorolla 68020 instead of 68000. 😮

Hirsch and I were both clueless what this card might be, until it arrived and I could read what's written on it. Paid around 30€ for the lot. I did bid on it because it contained two Tseng cards (ET4000 and ET3000). Then I realised that the Janus card is even more valuable. 😁

Reply 42621 of 52692, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2022-02-18, 07:10:
There is another device like this: https://www-stcarchiv-de.translate.goog/stc19 … &_x_tr_pto=wapp […]
Show full quote
appiah4 wrote on 2022-02-18, 06:06:

Very interesting, I never knew such a thing existed.

There is another device like this:
https://www-stcarchiv-de.translate.goog/stc19 … &_x_tr_pto=wapp

I got it a few months ago in a scrap lot, but didn't have time to test it yet:
JanusCard.JPG
It's even the rarer variant with Motorolla 68020 instead of 68000. 😮

Hirsch and I were both clueless what this card might be, until it arrived and I could read what's written on it. Paid around 30€ for the lot. I did bid on it because it contained two Tseng cards (ET4000 and ET3000). Then I realised that the Janus card is even more valuable. 😁

Really hoping you might do a bit of a write up or video of these two cards in action or this janus card if its the only one you have when you get around to finally testing it.

Reply 42622 of 52692, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I didn't know the 16-bit ISA version existed. That is awesome. Plus it uses its own RAM? That's pretty cool.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 42623 of 52692, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-02-18, 07:13:

Really hoping you might do a bit of a write up or video of these two cards in action or this janus card if its the only one you have when you get around to finally testing it.

Might take a while.
It has a wire soldered on the back. I have no idea if this was done by the manufacturer or the original owner. Also it uses a 40MHz quartz (which is dented) instead of 20MHz. I might have to replace that.
Definitely gonna have to ask in an ATARI forum for help. The people there know the device much better than anyone here on Vogons.

Also I have 0 software for this thing.

Reply 42624 of 52692, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I buy very little now but these were cheap(ish) / reasonably local and too good to pass up - a small lot of some Intel dual skt 370 boards (2 x SDS2 + 2 x STL2), assorted coppermine / tualatin cpus and some memory. Be a few weeks before I'm able to pick them up - will post some pics if I remember.

Reply 42625 of 52692, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Megantonneke wrote on 2022-02-14, 19:29:
I am delighted as I was able to acquire this 486 VLB system on a Dutch auction site. I recognized it as a Planhold Powerstation […]
Show full quote

I am delighted as I was able to acquire this 486 VLB system on a Dutch auction site. I recognized it as a Planhold Powerstation VL4 system,
built by one of the best clone builders in the Netherlands during the '90s, called Planhold in Amsterdam. Good quality components but for a hefty price in those days.
I owned a 486DX2 66Mhz version of such a system, so this listing piqued my interest.

IMG_20220214_120018_2-scaled.jpg

I offered a fair amount for this 2nd hand system, especially in view of the lack of information and bad image quality of the photos in the listing. But the seller
wanted more. The guy that sold the system was clearly not a hardware guy. When I asked him about the internals, he only replied with "There is not much to tell, the
floppy drives are Panasonic". But some extra photo's tempted me to offer a bit more and got the deal done.

<snip>

We had exactly the same Planhold 486 DX/2 66MHz system at home. Same case, same keyboard. I also noticed the advert on Markplaats and decided not to get involved, price was quite high already.

I'm glad to see it went to someone here on Vogons with sentimental attachment 😀

I hope you will be able to restore it a bit and I'd love to see pictures of the inside also!

(DM me if you can't find a DX/2 66MHz for a decent price, I have enough of those)

highres_20_tif_bBfgieEs.jpg
Filename
File size
254.34 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

1982 to 2001

Reply 42626 of 52692, by charliegolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Amstrad PPC512 https://imgur.com/gallery/ayH8RJt

Amstrad PPC512 with all its bits and pieces (apart from original disks) arrived today. Very cool little machine. Sold as parts and was expecting some fix work but it just works😁

YouTube:
66Mhz Brain

Reply 42627 of 52692, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I <3 those things, definitely intend to pick one up if they cross my path. (Had the desktop PC1640 and 1512 back in the day, kinda miss them.)

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 42628 of 52692, by charliegolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-02-18, 17:39:

I <3 those things, definitely intend to pick one up if they cross my path. (Had the desktop PC1640 and 1512 back in the day, kinda miss them.)

Funnily enough I got a broken pc1512
a few months ago that does nothing , not had a chance to look at it yet but will be cool to have the 2 side by side if I get it working. The portable helped with troubleshooting as you can power it from the monitor from the 1512, (unfortunately can't get video as the 1512 has proprietory cga output), but it powers OK so at least I know the 1512 psu is good😁

YouTube:
66Mhz Brain

Reply 42629 of 52692, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can stick a graphics card in the 1512, but you don't see anything until the boot prompt. Not sure if I'm confusing with the 1640 here, was 1512 mono only? But you have to use mono if it's color or set to color, or color if it's mono or set to mono... because there's no way to disable onboard otherwise... probably the pinouts for the "weirdass oversized WTF DIN or something connector" are online by now.

edit: gah, 30 year stale info being dredged up out of neurons in long term stasis, not entirely sure if it came up at the prompt itself or whether I had to type mode mono or co80 to switch it.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 42630 of 52692, by charliegolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes it's colour and you can stick a card in to get cga/vga. I was hoping to use the 1512 monitor with the portable as that outputs standard cga but has the usual 9 pin dsub in so can't with the 1512 screen due to the crazy big din, though the psu connector is correct, and I don't think the 1512 pinout strictly matches the cga standard so some other shenanigans are required, I looked to see if I could match it pin for pin but they are only partially the same for the rgb and earths. There is a good blog somewhere online where someone has tried to as they didn't have the monitor or psu for their base unit and it wasn't straight forward, the blog went quiet so guess they got no further. Unfortunately that's the only cga monitor I have so may have to get a cga to scart or something to use the portable in all its cga glory (as opposed to crappy little unusable green led screen) and hopefully get the 1512 doing its own thing.

YouTube:
66Mhz Brain

Reply 42631 of 52692, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote on 2022-02-18, 11:15:
We had exactly the same Planhold 486 DX/2 66MHz system at home. Same case, same keyboard. I also noticed the advert on Markplaat […]
Show full quote
Megantonneke wrote on 2022-02-14, 19:29:
I am delighted as I was able to acquire this 486 VLB system on a Dutch auction site. I recognized it as a Planhold Powerstation […]
Show full quote

I am delighted as I was able to acquire this 486 VLB system on a Dutch auction site. I recognized it as a Planhold Powerstation VL4 system,
built by one of the best clone builders in the Netherlands during the '90s, called Planhold in Amsterdam. Good quality components but for a hefty price in those days.
I owned a 486DX2 66Mhz version of such a system, so this listing piqued my interest.

IMG_20220214_120018_2-scaled.jpg

I offered a fair amount for this 2nd hand system, especially in view of the lack of information and bad image quality of the photos in the listing. But the seller
wanted more. The guy that sold the system was clearly not a hardware guy. When I asked him about the internals, he only replied with "There is not much to tell, the
floppy drives are Panasonic". But some extra photo's tempted me to offer a bit more and got the deal done.

<snip>

We had exactly the same Planhold 486 DX/2 66MHz system at home. Same case, same keyboard. I also noticed the advert on Markplaats and decided not to get involved, price was quite high already.

I'm glad to see it went to someone here on Vogons with sentimental attachment 😀

I hope you will be able to restore it a bit and I'd love to see pictures of the inside also!

(DM me if you can't find a DX/2 66MHz for a decent price, I have enough of those)

I remember the days when ones keyboard was that close to the monitor. 😀

Reply 42632 of 52692, by OMORES

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This Labway A02150 with an ES1688 chip. I wonder if I can make that IDE port bootable. I saw something similar around here...

Attachments

My best video so far.

Reply 42633 of 52692, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought some rather obscure (at least for me) laptop. It's an IPC 7521T, which in turn is a rebranded Mitac 7521.

Some specs:

Pentium III 1100MHz (Coppermine, and it's a desktop chip. SL5QW.)
SiS 630 Chipset + iGP (not the best but better than i810, I guess.)
20GB HDD
Teac DVD-ROM/CDRW
384MB RAM (which I find it a mystery since there's only one 256MB SDRAM stick - unless the other round of 128MB is soldered onboard, which I find it highly unlikely.)
15" screen that is amusingly bigger than the base itself - it's like they took the base of a 14" laptop and just slapped a 15" LCD on it.
Originally had german XP SP2 (with its own IPC branding on the System Properties), wiped it and installed WinME

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 42634 of 52692, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PcBytes wrote on 2022-02-19, 12:02:
Bought some rather obscure (at least for me) laptop. It's an IPC 7521T, which in turn is a rebranded Mitac 7521. […]
Show full quote

Bought some rather obscure (at least for me) laptop. It's an IPC 7521T, which in turn is a rebranded Mitac 7521.

Some specs:

20GB HDD
Teac DVD-ROM/CDRW
384MB RAM (which I find it a mystery since there's only one 256MB SDRAM stick - unless the other round of 128MB is soldered onboard, which I find it highly unlikely.)
15" screen that is amusingly bigger than the base itself - it's like they took the base of a 14" laptop and just slapped a 15" LCD on it.
Originally had german XP SP2 (with its own IPC branding on the System Properties), wiped it and installed WinME

There will be a primary dimm slot under the keyboard, the one in the expansion bay on the bottom is the second dimm slot.

Reply 42635 of 52692, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-02-19, 12:23:
Bought some rather obscure (at least for me) laptop. It's an IPC 7521T, which in turn is a rebranded Mitac 7521. […]
Show full quote

Some specs:

20GB HDD
Teac DVD-ROM/CDRW

There will be a primary dimm slot under the keyboard, the one in the expansion bay on the bottom is the second dimm slot.

There isn't any slot besides the one under the keyboard. I've searched it right now and it's nowhere to be found.

Reply 42636 of 52692, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PcBytes wrote on 2022-02-19, 12:41:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-02-19, 12:23:
Show full quote

Some specs:

20GB HDD
Teac DVD-ROM/CDRW

There isn't any slot besides the one under the keyboard. I've searched it right now and it's nowhere to be found.

weird, it does sound like it has 128mb of ram somewhere on the board then, sounds like its a mystery to be solved by some ..uhh creative dismantling.

Creative . .I meant careful 😁

Reply 42637 of 52692, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd think IPC had asked Mitac to slightly modify it. The reason I say this is because I recall the original Mitac manual stating there should be 64MB onboard RAM. So, the best explanation I can think of is that IPC (which btw, is from Austria, not Russia, as the rumors were circulating - makes sense since half if not most of their machines are exactly rebadged Gericom, Advent and Medion stuff.) asked Mitac to use bigger chips that would result in 128MB of onboard memory.

That, and also, the original Mitac specs say that maximum CPU speed is 800MHz, but as the IPC specs show, the BIOS itself recognizes higher Coppermine CPUs just fine (no Tualatins as far as I can see, chipset doesn't support it probably, despite the T marking after the model number. And who in their right mind would run a Tualatin on a SiS 630 anyways?).

All in all, it's a neat machine. WinME runs almost perfectly (NFS5 throws occasional "cannot read file x" errors but they can be ignored, most of the times.). Can't for the life of me to get "Beetle Ju" (it's a rather obscure game as well, unless most of you know Alawar, the authors of the said game) to run under 9x - I get a WRAPPER.DLL missing export in KERNEL32.DLL error everytime I try to play it.

Reply 42638 of 52692, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This arrived yesterday, Gigabyte GA-6VX7-4X socket 370 board with 833 MHz PIII, tested and working fine so far. Bought this to build a dedicated Voodoo 5500 Windows 98 gaming PC since it's period correct for the Voodoo. Also have a Live! 5.1 sound card on the way, which is the last component I need. So far all the components I'm using were released in 2000 so this will be my "millennium" PC. I'll probably replace the 833 PIII with a 1 GHz CPU though.

Screenshot-20220219-081434-e-Bay.jpg

Also received a Core2Duo QX6700 (Intel's first quad core!) to max out the 975X system board in my HP xw4400 workstation.

Reply 42639 of 52692, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought this PC today. I thought I was getting some Socket 7 PC based on the looks of the pc, but turned out to be a slot 1 Celeron II system. In the lowest ISA slot, I found a card I don't know what it's for. I searched the motherboard and appears to be AZZA PT-6IET motherboard. Never heard of that brand.

Attachments