VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dialup

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Apologies if you're tired of hearing about Wordle, but for those that aren't—you can now play it on your retro rig! I made a clone of it for Windows 3.1, called Windle. It's written in Delphi 1 (the only version of Delphi to support 16-bit development) on my Gateway 486 machine, and there's a 32-bit build on the site as well. I was inspired by the tournament version somebody else made for BBSes, and while this one doesn't take advantage of the networking (yet) in Windows 3.11 for Workgroups, it sure does make liberal use of the 3D style. I hope others can enjoy it!

https://www.dialup.net/windle/

Reply 3 of 11, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice, next up wordle for DOS... ima dig out some qBasic hangman code....

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's really cool! 😎👍

Btw, if you ever want to target Windows 3.0/RM/8086, please have a look at "Turbo Pascal for Windows".
There's version 1.0 and 1.5, I believe. And a free demo version, I remember.

Both are the predecessors of "Borland Pascal for Windows" or how it was called.
It was part of Borland Pascal 7, if memory serves.

It uses the old OWL technology (Object Windows Library), which Delphi 1.0 still can use.

Edit: Found the demo version. Was on a cover disk of a magazine.
Very basic, TPW 1.5 or BP7/Win are much more complete. Still, demo produces very fast/compact code.

Attachments

• Filename
    tpw_demo_dsk.zip
    File size
    613.95 KiB
    Downloads
    41 downloads
    File comment
    Turbo Pascal for Windows demo (cover disk, german)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 11, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-02-21, 02:01:

http://www.doshaven.eu/game/wor-dos/

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 8 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

+1

BinaryDemon wrote on 2022-02-22, 06:50:
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-02-21, 02:01:

http://www.doshaven.eu/game/wor-dos/

Looks cool! I'll try that on my XT once I reinstalled the HDD! 😎

dialup wrote on 2022-02-21, 18:59:

Thanks for the kind words! Jo22 - that's cool, I've used all the versions of Delphi up to 2005, but never Turbo Pascal—will give it a try!

You're welcome. ^^
I noticed you used Delphi 2 for the 32-Bit version, also.
That's really cool! I bought a copy from the UK years ago, because it can create binaries that are very compatible (early Win NT etc).
Before this, I learned programming with Delphi 3 Pro.
It was bundled with some of the books of my childhood/teenagehood (Delphi for Kids).
Other versions I used were Delphi 7 and Turbo Delphi 10 (free) a few years ago.

When tinkering with Delphi 7, I noticed how to make older versions of Delphi use the native elements of Win XP (I searched the web, but Delphi 7 made me aware of it) .
A very simples example program can be found here: Re: Programs for building software (dos, windows 9x)

That being said, I don't mean to hijack your thread. I'm not very good at programming in Delphi, either. And of course, there's no need to make use of that code. The game looks more nostalgic with the classic GUI dialogs, likely.
I'm just happy to meet someone who's also doing some (retro) development in Delphi. 😃
Because it's really an interesting RAD environment, besides VB Classic.
But unlike VB Classic, it's more platform independent. And can compile DLLs, even. There used to be Kylix on Linux, for example. Or Lazarus on Mac OS.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 11 of 11, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for this! I am using the 32 bit version with Windows 7 64 bit, and it's great.

If you do release an updated version, could you consider maybe making it possible to enter the text via mouse clicking the onscreen letters, please? You would have to add icons for Enter and Backspace, of course.