VOGONS

Reply 100 of 143, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, but then I fall into the trap of thinking "day old" donuts have less calories than fresh 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 101 of 143, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The main reason I've stopped collecting, and have shifted my focus of trying to finish builds, is becasue I'm not willing to fight noobs and collectors with deep coffers over mass produced hardware, that really isn't that rare but just coveted, because of media influences make a video and say how great it is.

Reply 102 of 143, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

i) Corner market in SiS 6326
ii) Make a video where you showcase only the titles they do pretty well in, overclocked with Rivatuner or Powerstrip (One of the two does SiS can't remember which) and an AC unit off camera keeping it cold soaked at 10C
iii) profit.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 104 of 143, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Warlord wrote on 2022-02-20, 17:07:

... I've stopped collecting, and have shifted my focus of trying to finish builds...

Why to finish? I personally enjoy a process itself. One day I've managed to force HP 100LX to read 256mb Sandisk PCMCIA FlashCard and it was enough to feel proud of myself for the whole week long after that. 😄

Reply 105 of 143, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I try not to overspend on older computer hardware, especially if it's something that has been mass-produced to the point where it's commonplace. The ONLY time I would overspend is if I felt that I desperately needed something and I had the money for it, even then I would have a bad feeling like I threw away money that I could've used on something more reasonable.

I remember when Gamecube games used to be commonplace and cheap, now they go for varying amounts of money (often at ridiculously expensive prices), because of that, I regret not picking up certain games for that console when I had the chance. Admittedly, I ended up paying $60 for a copy of Melee last year because I felt like I really missed that game to the point where I had to get it while it was still at a reasonable price because who knows if the prices for Gamecube games will get worse like what happened to other things in the retro gaming market (notably 3dfx graphics cards).

There are certain price points that I refuse to go above. For example, I've seen people sell CRT TVs at insanely expensive prices lately regardless of how high-end they are, I once saw a 13" RF-only Sony TV at the Seattle RE-PC at an asking price of $120, which is too expensive, I wouldn't even pay $5 for that TV knowing it only had an RF input as RF-only TVs usually have a hot chassis which makes them hard to mod for RGB or even Composite video. At a price like that I'd rather just buy a Retrotink and play my classic consoles on a modern TV. There were also other examples of insanely priced hardware at RE-PC (notably vintage Macintoshes and sometimes their CRT computer monitors), the Tukwila RE-PC is even worse than the Seattle one in terms of pricing from what I've heard.

I know I've used video games as my examples, but this also applies to old computer hardware.

Reply 106 of 143, by Plasma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes but things that were once mass-produced and commonplace become less common as time marches on. They break and/or get thrown out. Computer CRTs are a good example. In the early 2000s people were giving them away. Today $50 is a good deal. And they will only get more expensive as the supply shrinks.

Reply 107 of 143, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

if the exact make/model of various components is less important than performance then one strategy is the same as the one i had back then

just wait and buy the budget version a year of two later.

for instance if a leading edge graphics card came out and seemed great but expensive then patience and a willingness to play at a resolution one down from max meant getting most of the same performane whilst spending less on a budget card a year later

with old hardware i've done the same pretty much. Once a game is up and running at anything over 40fps at a good resolution then it really makes little difference

same is true of other components generally

for things like gamecube games, a good example, there's much to be done - its a shrinking pool and the 'benefit' of the good is binary - its either there or not, there are no alternatives

Reply 108 of 143, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Plasma wrote on 2022-02-21, 11:03:

... And they will only get more expensive as the supply shrinks.

Can't agree with you.

Prices are function of demand, and demand is generated mostly by nostalgic people in their mid 30's - mid 50's. Youtubers like 8-bit guy, LGR and others causing demand to rise even higher. But if you'll pay attention, those Youtubers start running out of content. Nostalgic people also at some point will find out that piece of crap which they had thrown out many many years ago is not a lost gem, but actually a piece of crap.

So, at some point demand will start falling and you'll see that prices will start dropping too.

But don't become too optimistic. At the point when prices will start dropping it is highly likely that you also won't be interested in buying those things anymore. A spoon is dear when lunch is near.🙂

Reply 109 of 143, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2022-02-21, 11:28:
Can't agree with you. […]
Show full quote

Can't agree with you.

Prices are function of demand, and demand is generated mostly by nostalgic people in their mid 30's - mid 50's. Youtubers like 8-bit guy, LGR and others causing demand to rise even higher. But if you'll pay attention, those Youtubers start running out of content. Nostalgic people also at some point will find out that piece of crap which they had thrown out many many years ago is not a lost gem, but actually a piece of crap.

So, at some point demand will start falling and you'll see that prices will start dropping too.

But don't become too optimistic. At the point when prices will start dropping it is highly likely that you also won't be interested in buying those things anymore. A spoon is dear when lunch is near.🙂

you raise a good point - there is a peak wave of nostalgia it seems, especially for this stuff.

You're also right that the leading (and most following) youtubers etc are running out of material

LGR, entertaining though he is, is reaching limits as he tries out yet another late 90's computer, or 'finds' yet another gimmicky mouse. My guess is that the rush for these items is lessening too

Reply 110 of 143, by Plasma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2022-02-21, 11:28:
Can't agree with you. […]
Show full quote

Can't agree with you.

Prices are a function of supply and demand. Supply can only decrease (excluding reproductions). Even if demand decreases, it's unlikely to outpace supply decrease for many items. Take vintage terminals for example. Not very popular with the retro gaming crowd or youtubers. Still going up in price.

Reply 111 of 143, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Plasma wrote on 2022-02-21, 12:05:

Prices are a function of supply and demand. Supply can only decrease (excluding reproductions). Even if demand decreases, it's unlikely to outpace supply decrease for many items. Take vintage terminals for example. Not very popular with the retro gaming crowd or youtubers. Still going up in price.

Of course supply can only decrease, but not significantly. Today most of the old hardware crap is treated as a treasure (cleaning, repairing, retrobrighting, kissing in the PSU), while in yesteryears they were massively annihilated.

But day by day there will be less Youtube content, less forum discussion, less joy from installing Windows 95 from 95 floppy discs etc. All these factors will cause all those collectors and enthusiasts to start selling their treasures. At start for a price of small starship of course, but after few months of no sales they will start to lower prices one after another.

But it is not end of story of course. There will be more waves of interest in the future of course. In the year of 2525 hipsters of that era will buy those antic hardware artifacts ... to decorate with them their private spaceyachts I guess. 😄

Last edited by ThinkpadIL on 2022-02-21, 13:07. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 113 of 143, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Plasma wrote on 2022-02-21, 12:57:

Or collector dies, family throws out "junk."

I want to see a family that throws away any collection, even a collection of dinosaurs' dung 😄.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2022-02-23, 05:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 114 of 143, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's the reason why my wife asked me to put some descriptions and aproximate valuation on back of my display units.

So when you see a complete collection of Gravis Ultrasound cards (different models and revisions) or nearly complete collection of early CTxxx cards for sale on eBay. You know it was me 😀

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 115 of 143, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mpe wrote on 2022-02-21, 13:05:

That's the reason why my wife asked me to put some descriptions and aproximate valuation on back of my display units.

So when you see a complete collection of Gravis Ultrasound cards (different models and revisions) or nearly complete collection of early CTxxx cards for sale on eBay. You know it was me 😀

Not waiting but preparing ...😁

Reply 116 of 143, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2022-02-21, 13:03:

I want to see a family that throughs away any collection, even a collection of dinosaurs' dung 😄.

I happen to have known someone who passed away unexpectedly. I didn't know him or his relatives very well btw.
He was not into computers or games but something different I have no knowledge of and the family basically just wanted to clear out the huge amount of collection items he had amassed so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even want a good price for it, they mostly just wanted to get rid of the bulk of it as they had to do everything in little time. They had other things on their mind and had to compress it in a small amount of time, the pets, the house, the paperwork, notifying all the other relatives etc and the loss of course, so his collection didn't have that much priority from what I understood.

Even though I don't even know the details, I don't think they threw it all out, but I'm fairly sure they didn't necessarily wanted to get paid premium prices for all the items.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 117 of 143, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mpe wrote on 2022-02-21, 13:05:

This is actually a good idea, but I wouldn't label everything in my collection with price tags for not wanting to make it easier in case some uninvited 'guests' break into my house in search of gold and loot, so to say 😜

However, I have actually talked about this with my closest friends so there are at least partial plans kinda ready to go already 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 118 of 143, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2022-02-22, 09:34:

... the family basically just wanted to clear out the huge amount of collection items he had amassed so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even want a good price for it, they mostly just wanted to get rid of the bulk of it...

If you know of a family that doesn't want a good price and wants to get rid of a collection of yachts, airplanes, sport cars or jewelry, please let me know. 😄