Common searches

DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 1740 of 1962, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hm, interesting question. What you could do, of course, is just to add the Mac DOSBox-Staging/X version in DBGL when running OSX. Then you can run your profiles by right-clicking and using "Run with.." and choose the Mac DOSBox version of your liking.

However, it would be better if it were possible to specify a DOSBox executable for a single 'DBGL DOSBox version' for each platform (Windows, Linux and Mac). Then, when starting a profile, DBGL would use the appropriate executable for the active platform. That will require some changes, but is certainly doable.

Reply 1741 of 1962, by tedyun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rcblanke wrote on 2021-12-20, 17:12:

Hm, interesting question. What you could do, of course, is just to add the Mac DOSBox-Staging/X version in DBGL when running OSX. Then you can run your profiles by right-clicking and using "Run with.." and choose the Mac DOSBox version of your liking.

However, it would be better if it were possible to specify a DOSBox executable for a single 'DBGL DOSBox version' for each platform (Windows, Linux and Mac). Then, when starting a profile, DBGL would use the appropriate executable for the active platform. That will require some changes, but is certainly doable.

Thanks Ronald! I'll poke around some more. I'm still learning my way around DOSBox, DBGL, etc. I fell into a rabbit hole trying to get XWA with the Tie Fighter Total Conversion running on my Mac through VirtualBox. The vanilla XWA could run (amazingly!) but the TC was unsuccessful.

It was really just to take on the challenge of trying to get that running on the Mac side of the rig. I can run it over on my Windows side without any issues. But I learned a lot about VirtualBox and it should be a great tool for getting some vintage Windows games running.

I'm really amazed at how far this retrogaming has come, and how dedicated the community is. Thank you again for all your hard work.

Ted

Reply 1742 of 1962, by dosdog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Ronald, a small request - please add .img to the list of Floppy Disk Image extensions in the "Mount Images" browser, shown below. Over time this would save a lot of clicks!

1VX2Lwk.png

Thanks!

Reply 1743 of 1962, by tedyun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tedyun wrote on 2021-12-20, 21:50:
Thanks Ronald! I'll poke around some more. I'm still learning my way around DOSBox, DBGL, etc. I fell into a rabbit hole trying […]
Show full quote
rcblanke wrote on 2021-12-20, 17:12:

Thanks Ronald! I'll poke around some more. I'm still learning my way around DOSBox, DBGL, etc. I fell into a rabbit hole trying to get XWA with the Tie Fighter Total Conversion running on my Mac through VirtualBox. The vanilla XWA could run (amazingly!) but the TC was unsuccessful.

It was really just to take on the challenge of trying to get that running on the Mac side of the rig. I can run it over on my Windows side without any issues. But I learned a lot about VirtualBox and it should be a great tool for getting some vintage Windows games running.

I'm really amazed at how far this retrogaming has come, and how dedicated the community is. Thank you again for all your hard work.

Ted

Hi Ronald --

I figured out how to add the executable to the DOSBox fork versions in the Mac OS interface -- I just simply manually typed them in! All is good.

Thanks again,

Ted

Reply 1744 of 1962, by tedyun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dosdog wrote on 2021-12-21, 10:27:
Hi Ronald, a small request - please add .img to the list of Floppy Disk Image extensions in the "Mount Images" browser, shown be […]
Show full quote

Hi Ronald, a small request - please add .img to the list of Floppy Disk Image extensions in the "Mount Images" browser, shown below. Over time this would save a lot of clicks!

1VX2Lwk.png

Thanks!

Hi dosdog,

There are utilities that can convert the .img file to an .iso file. Are you on Linux? I'm not too familiar with Linux but a quick search found a utility called "ccd2iso"

Hope that helps!

Ted

Reply 1745 of 1962, by dosdog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Ted. In fact DOSBox can handle the .img files just fine as they are, but the file-open browser provided by DBGL doesn't include them in the default "Floppy Disk Images" filter. If it did, I could save myself the extra clicks switching over to the "All Files" filter before they will show up in the list.

Reply 1747 of 1962, by arobbo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi rblanke,
there's heaps to be admired about the latest version (0.95) which I have been testing out - in Puppy Linux (FossaPup64) - with imported *.dblg.zip files from my previous setup in version 0.93beta8 (also FossaPup64).

I ran into a couple of issues that are a problem for me, so I will be staying in 0.93 for some time yet. In no particular order:
1. Annoyingly I found that all the previous profiles fine-tuned for each game had been ignored in the transfer between systems, for generic 'surface' or 'overlay' defaults - and at 1280x960 - when my poor old laptop can only manage 1280x800. Changes made at the import stage (illustrated) didn't stick as expected...

dbgl02EDIT.png
Filename
dbgl02EDIT.png
File size
673.11 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

And, after later muddling around with File>>Preferences>>Dynamic Options>>windowresolution, found that I couldn't make the global changes necessary here either - nothing can be selected from the 'Values' column that changes anything...

dbgl20.png
Filename
dbgl20.png
File size
279.51 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 1748 of 1962, by arobbo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

(DBGL 0.95 in linux, feedback continued)...

2. Hidden directories.
Seems that a new hidden directory populates itself as ~/.local/share/dbgl - despite users' selection to another designation. That would be ok if the user had loads of space, but then all/any additional links then *redirect* to the shadow directory. Below I have 2 images to show different stages - the first shows the general output from my preferred selection as /root/dbgl95 - which occurs exactly as intended:

dbgl11.png
Filename
dbgl11.png
File size
146.46 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

...but then the database self-populates with links pointing to the shadow directory - where the links to additional documentation etc. provided earlier by the user are no longer valid.

dbgl16EDIT.png
Filename
dbgl16EDIT.png
File size
233.77 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

(the numbered titles are my own entries - following the "100 Worthwhile DOS Games" recommendations that an engine search will reveal)

I am writing to enquire whether the issues I am having are only related to my Linux OS, or whether these are matters that might be sorted out in later updates. I appreciate that there are many matters in the air you are juggling already, but in the meantime I will wind back to an earlier version of DBGL that keeps all its config files within the smallest number of directories, for ease of physical backups. Had a drive disaster recently, and I had issues resurrecting the complete database from outside DBGL, given the way it dispersed a range of config files through the filesystem.
Best Wishes 😀

Reply 1750 of 1962, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Onward with 0.96 beta1, the first DBGL version to require at least Java 11:

• Fixed issue where on some systems, non-relative profile links could be saved. Any such existing links will be corrected on first startup (arobbo)
  • Stripped j7zip, effectively removing 7-zip support for GamePackArchives
  • Updated multiple .jar libs, most importantly SWT to 4.22 which requires Java11
  • Added '*.img' to Floppy Disk Image filter (dosdog)
  • Slovakian translation update by Tomas K.

All the latest files. To upgrade, update dbgl.jar, launch.exe and all files in the lib folder.

Ronald

Reply 1751 of 1962, by feanor512reset

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm currently running DBGL on a system with a 40" 4K TV as a monitor. I have all of my games set to run in a 1920x1200 window in the DBGL GUI. I'd like to move my collection to a system with a 21" 1920x1080 monitor and run them all full screen at that resolution. What's the quickest way to change each profile to that? Where does DBGL store that profile information?

Reply 1752 of 1962, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First you need to add the new custom resolution, the option is at File --> Preferences --> Dynamic options.

A2XkBoB.png

Then you can select multiple profiles. Click on the first one, then press cursor down + End. Then right click, and go to Display options.

8PcNQ9E.png

Click on OK and the profiles will now use said resolution.

Reply 1753 of 1962, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feanor512reset wrote on 2022-02-21, 03:13:

Where does DBGL store that profile information?

DOSBox settings are stored in regular .conf files, which you can find inside the DBGL/profiles folder. Profile meta-data is stored in the main database, db/database.script .

Reply 1754 of 1962, by Digitoxin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just started using DBGL to manage my game library. It is an excellent application, but I have run into a few issues.

1. Right clicking on many of my games and choosing Open game folder causes a window to briefly pop up and then close. I haven't been able to determine why the game folder for some of my games opens fine, but doesn't on others.
2. Is the field to the right of Alternative 1 and Alternative 2 in the Mounting tab for a description? It doesn't appear to do anything. It would be nice to give my alternative executables a description instead of them showing up as just the file name with brackets around it.
3. It would be great to expand the Links feature beyond what it does now. I used these to add links to PDFs, images, etc. for game documentation. It would be great to specify what PDF or image viewer to use when clicking on these links instead of relying on the operating system default.
4. Some games launch from an executable on the CD. There appears to be no way to point to the CD-ROM drive when supplying the main executable. I've had to create batch files to work around this limitation.
5. There appears to be a catch-22 when adding a new game. The game requires a main executable to create a profile. When adding a brand new profile, I do not have a main executable yet until I launch DOSBox and install the game from CD or Floppy images. I have to create a dummy batch file and point the profile to it until I install the game. Why not allow a profile to be created without a main executable and remove the Run and Run with options until it is supplied. It already does this with the Setup executable. I can then Start Manually and install the game and then go specify the main executable.
6. An option to hide the filenames on the profile images would be nice.

7. This is more of wishful thinking, but DBGL doesn't let me set up the directory structure the way I like. I want to keep all of my games self contained, so I would like to have the following folder structure for each game:

Game Folder
--- DOSBox Root hard drive folder
--- Folder for floppy or CD images
--- captures folder for artwork and screenshots
--- profile .conf file at this level

Right now, I can only choose to put the .conf file inside the Root hard drive folder or the profiles path. I want the root hard drive folder to be clean and only contain DOS installations., not DOSbox and application configurations. There doesn't appear to be any way to relocate where the captures folder is located on a per profile basis.

Reply 1755 of 1962, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for trying out DBGL!

Digitoxin wrote on 2022-02-23, 07:46:

1. Right clicking on many of my games and choosing Open game folder causes a window to briefly pop up and then close. I haven't been able to determine why the game folder for some of my games opens fine, but doesn't on others.

Odd thing, let me know if you find any similarities with the problematic profiles.

2. Is the field to the right of Alternative 1 and Alternative 2 in the Mounting tab for a description? It doesn't appear to do anything. It would be nice to give my alternative executables a description instead of them showing up as just the file name with brackets around it.

The fields are for parameters (like 'Main').

3. It would be great to expand the Links feature beyond what it does now. I used these to add links to PDFs, images, etc. for game documentation. It would be great to specify what PDF or image viewer to use when clicking on these links instead of relying on the operating system default.

Out of scope for the moment.

4. Some games launch from an executable on the CD. There appears to be no way to point to the CD-ROM drive when supplying the main executable. I've had to create batch files to work around this limitation.

Oh, that's not right then. Can't you simply mount the CD (or CD image), and choose an executable from that drive as the Main executable? If that doesn't work, something may have regressed. Can you provide a simple example to demonstrate the problem?

5. There appears to be a catch-22 when adding a new game. The game requires a main executable to create a profile. When adding a brand new profile, I do not have a main executable yet until I launch DOSBox and install the game from CD or Floppy images. I have to create a dummy batch file and point the profile to it until I install the game. Why not allow a profile to be created without a main executable and remove the Run and Run with options until it is supplied. It already does this with the Setup executable. I can then Start Manually and install the game and then go specify the main executable.

This suggestion has come up a couple of times before. Unfortunately, due to technical reasons this request is currently unfeasible. In DBGL's codebase, a profile is more or less defined as consisting of a set of meta-data in conjunction with a DOSBox configuration with a target runnable. Although I might come up with a real solution in the future, for the moment the best thing to do is simply to enter a bogus executable in 'Main' (like A.EXE, you can enter anything as long as it ends with .com/.exe/.bat). Remember that you can right-click on a profile and 'Start manually' to prevent execution of the 'Main' executable (and bypass 'exit') so you can test things in DOSBox.

By the way, if you're installing a new game from CD or disk images, you may want to use DBGL's 'Add game wizard' as it should make this a lot easier and streamlined.

There is, see File->Preferences->GUI options->Display filename in image.

7. This is more of wishful thinking, but DBGL doesn't let me set up the directory structure the way I like. I want to keep all […]
Show full quote

7. This is more of wishful thinking, but DBGL doesn't let me set up the directory structure the way I like. I want to keep all of my games self contained, so I would like to have the following folder structure for each game:

Game Folder

Right now, I can only choose to put the .conf file inside the Root hard drive folder or the profiles path. I want the root hard drive folder to be clean and only contain DOS installations., not DOSbox and application configurations. There doesn't appear to be any way to relocate where the captures folder is located on a per profile basis.

Please understand that my time is limited; I'm currently mostly focussed on squashing bugs, prior to adding new features.

Reply 1756 of 1962, by Digitoxin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the quick response.

I'll keep looking to try to find what is common about the profiles that won't let me open the game folder and let you know if I figure it out. I notice when this feature works, DBGL drills in further into the folder of the main executable and doesn't just open the root folder. Maybe it has something to do with this.

I accidentally discovered how to set an executable on the CD to launch as the main executable. I had no idea you could select a CD image and DBGL would open it and display the executables inside of the image. Is this documented somewhere because it is not obvious that you can do this.

I found the option to disable the labels on the images. No idea how I missed this.

rcblanke wrote on 2022-02-23, 19:14:
Thanks for trying out DBGL! […]
Show full quote

Odd thing, let me know if you find any similarities with the problematic profiles.

Oh, that's not right then. Can't you simply mount the CD (or CD image), and choose an executable from that drive as the Main executable? If that doesn't work, something may have regressed. Can you provide a simple example to demonstrate the problem?

This suggestion has come up a couple of times before. Unfortunately, due to technical reasons this request is currently unfeasible. In DBGL's codebase, a profile is more or less defined as consisting of a set of meta-data in conjunction with a DOSBox configuration with a target runnable. Although I might come up with a real solution in the future, for the moment the best thing to do is simply to enter a bogus executable in 'Main' (like A.EXE, you can enter anything as long as it ends with .com/.exe/.bat). Remember that you can right-click on a profile and 'Start manually' to prevent execution of the 'Main' executable (and bypass 'exit') so you can test things in DOSBox.

By the way, if you're installing a new game from CD or disk images, you may want to use DBGL's 'Add game wizard' as it should make this a lot easier and streamlined.

7. This is more of wishful thinking, but DBGL doesn't let me set up the directory structure the way I like. I want to keep all […]
Show full quote

Game Folder

Please understand that my time is limited; I'm currently mostly focussed on squashing bugs, prior to adding new features.

Reply 1757 of 1962, by Digitoxin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

"I figured out what is causing Open game folder to not work.

Below are two examples. One of a working profile and one of a profile that doesn't work.

First is the working profile.
Notice the executable WILLY.BAT is one folder level in from the mount point.

mount C "Adventures of Willy Beamish, The\data"
Main: Adventures of Willy Beamish, The\data\DYNAMIX\WILLY.BAT

Broken profile.
Notice the executable SIERRA.EXE is two folder levels in from the mount point.

mount C "Black Cauldron, The\data"
Main: Black Cauldron, The\data\SIERRA\BC\SIERRA.EXE

It appears that when the executable is more than one folder level in from the mount point, the Open game folder feature does not work.

rcblanke wrote on 2022-02-23, 19:14:
Thanks for trying out DBGL! […]
Show full quote

Show full quote

Game Folder

Reply 1758 of 1962, by Digitoxin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I used the beta version you sent me in a PM and tried to open the game folder of several profiles with the following results.

Here is the debug output of profiles that open fine:

Determining canonical game dir: J:\DOSBoxGameLauncher\dosroot\Beast Within, The - A Gabriel Knight Mystery\data\SIERRA
Open dir for viewing: J:\DOSBoxGameLauncher\dosroot\Beast Within, The - A Gabriel Knight Mystery\data\SIERRA
Determining canonical game dir: J:\DOSBoxGameLauncher\dosroot\Betrayal at Krondor\data\DYNAMIX\BAKCD
Open dir for viewing: J:\DOSBoxGameLauncher\dosroot\Betrayal at Krondor\data\DYNAMIX\BAKCD
Determining canonical game dir: J:\DOSBoxGameLauncher\dosroot\Birthright - The Gorgon's Alliance\data\SIERRA
Open dir for viewing: J:\DOSBoxGameLauncher\dosroot\Birthright - The Gorgon's Alliance\data\SIERRA
Determining canonical game dir: J:\DOSBoxGameLauncher\dosroot\Dagger of Amon Ra, The\data\SIERRA\LB2
Open dir for viewing: J:\DOSBoxGameLauncher\dosroot\Dagger of Amon Ra, The\data\SIERRA\LB2

Here is the debug output for profiles where the open game folder feature does not work:

Determining canonical game dir: J:\DOSBoxGameLauncher\dosroot\Black Cauldron, The\data\SIERRA\BC
Open dir for viewing: J:\DOSBoxGameLauncher\dosroot\Black Cauldron, The\data\SIERRA\BC
Determining canonical game dir: J:\DOSBoxGameLauncher\dosroot\Castle of Dr. Brain\data\SIERRA\BRAIN
Open dir for viewing: J:\DOSBoxGameLauncher\dosroot\Castle of Dr. Brain\data\SIERRA\BRAIN
Determining canonical game dir: J:\DOSBoxGameLauncher\dosroot\Code-Name Iceman\data\SIERRA\ICE
Open dir for viewing: J:\DOSBoxGameLauncher\dosroot\Code-Name Iceman\data\SIERRA\ICE
Determining canonical game dir: J:\DOSBoxGameLauncher\dosroot\Colonel's Bequest, The\data\SIERRA\CB
Open dir for viewing: J:\DOSBoxGameLauncher\dosroot\Colonel's Bequest, The\data\SIERRA\CB
Determining canonical game dir: J:\DOSBoxGameLauncher\dosroot\Conquests of Camelot - The Search for the Grail\data\SIERRA\CAMELOT
Open dir for viewing: J:\DOSBoxGameLauncher\dosroot\Conquests of Camelot - The Search for the Grail\data\SIERRA\CAMELOT
Determining canonical game dir: J:\DOSBoxGameLauncher\dosroot\Conquests of the Longbow - The Legend of Robin Hood\data\SIERRA\ROBIN
Open dir for viewing: J:\DOSBoxGameLauncher\dosroot\Conquests of the Longbow - The Legend of Robin Hood\data\SIERRA\ROBIN