VOGONS

SB PCI128

Topic actions

First post, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, a question if i use this card for dos games through windows 98 i have to choice it unter Multimedia MIDI Right?
But ill have 2 choices.

1. SB SB PCI128 MIDI Synth
2. SB PCI128 MIDI Out

What should i choice to get the best quality?
Or does this changes anything?

Thank you.

Reply 2 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You'd better love that Ensoniq Concert Wavetable set because that's all you're getting for any synthesized music with that card 😀 The DOS TSR will try its best to translate all OPL2 to it and is one of the unique guilty pleasures (besides some older Live! cards)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 11, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2022-02-20, 05:56:

You'd better love that Ensoniq Concert Wavetable set because that's all you're getting for any synthesized music with that card 😀 The DOS TSR will try its best to translate all OPL2 to it and is one of the unique guilty pleasures (besides some older Live! cards)

Sarcasm? Cause i did like the sound it sounds very SoundBlaster like in the "old" days.

Reply 4 of 11, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-02-20, 05:41:

If I'm not mistaken option 1. is the card's own MIDI synth (probably a software solution) while 2. is selected if you have an external MIDI module connected to the card through the joystick port.

Tried them both, it doesnt change anything but ill changed it to synth. Thanks for the help.

Reply 5 of 11, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Peter.Mengel wrote on 2022-02-20, 06:25:
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-02-20, 05:41:

If I'm not mistaken option 1. is the card's own MIDI synth (probably a software solution) while 2. is selected if you have an external MIDI module connected to the card through the joystick port.

Tried them both, it doesnt change anything but ill changed it to synth. Thanks for the help.

Maybe the card defaults to its own synth/wavetable if no MIDI device is physically connected? Anyway, it's a good thing it works and one shouldn't argue with a good thing.😄👍

Reply 6 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Peter.Mengel wrote on 2022-02-20, 06:24:

Sarcasm? Cause i did like the sound it sounds very SoundBlaster like in the "old" days.

That's the thing, the SBPCI 128 isn't like a Creative Sound Blaster. It's an Ensoniq card at the core with some TSR support for some Sound Blaster compatibility (varying between driver versions) and the FM emulation never really improved (and sounds nowhere close to the OPL2/3 of the old cards). It can't use soundfonts or the AWE functionality either.

Probably the biggest saving grace is the A3D and EAX 1.0 support which some earlier (as in 97-99 early windows 3d sound games) games can work with, and having some care in DOS sound support at all (most early PCI sound cards and later onboard audio i.e. SoundMAX - didn't). It's still a rock and a hard place though.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 11, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2022-02-20, 08:58:
Peter.Mengel wrote on 2022-02-20, 06:24:

That's the thing, the SBPCI 128 isn't like a Creative Sound Blaster. It's an Ensoniq card at the core with some TSR support for some Sound Blaster compatibility (varying between driver versions) and the FM emulation never really improved (and sounds nowhere close to the OPL2/3 of the old cards). It can't use soundfonts or the AWE functionality either.

Probably the biggest saving grace is the A3D and EAX 1.0 support which some earlier (as in 97-99 early windows 3d sound games) games can work with, and having some care in DOS sound support at all (most early PCI sound cards and later onboard audio i.e. SoundMAX - didn't). It's still a rock and a hard place though.

Would you say the Audigy 2 is better for Sound?

Reply 8 of 11, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote on 2022-02-20, 08:58:

It can't use soundfonts or the AWE functionality either.

No great loss there, can't think of any game that has better support for SB AWE rather than general midi (aka MPU-401 on port 330, which the SB PCI handles using wavetable playback with the .ecw banks).

Reply 9 of 11, by pc-sound-legacy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Would you say the Audigy 2 is better for Sound?

Ensonic/Soundblaster PCI has the worst FM emulation I've ever heard.
https://youtu.be/1dOSDhPP3fM
The software wavetable is great btw. so if you like to run newer DOS games with General Midi support, it's fine. Sound (FX) is fine, too.

Soundblaster Live! and Audigy also have FM emulation but it's far better and improved.
Audigy 2 I'm not sure if legacy drivers are available (I think so). If so, yes it is definitely the card of choice. Anyway, best PCI card for DOS is a Card with the ESS Solo-1 (ES1938) chip and a wavetable header, at least in my own opinion.

Reply 10 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jmarsh wrote on 2022-02-21, 13:09:

No great loss there, can't think of any game that has better support for SB AWE rather than general midi (aka MPU-401 on port 330, which the SB PCI handles using wavetable playback with the .ecw banks).

It's not a card suitable for Magic Carpet 2, Hi-Octane, Eradicator, and FF7 at least 😜

apsosig.png
long live PCem