Reply 121 of 143, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2022-02-22, 10:52:

Guys, how old are you?

I mean everything can happen to everyone, but still ... 🙄

You might be surprised at the ages that live here on Vogons, and there is nothing at all wrong with having plans in place for unexpected events.

Reply 123 of 143, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-02-22, 11:01:

You might be surprised at the ages that live here on Vogons, and there is nothing at all wrong with having plans in place for unexpected events.

There are too few things that can actually surprise me, but you're right, there is nothing wrong with having plans for unexpected events.

Who could expect that a COVID pandemic will happen and I'll start collecting old computer junk? But I was well prepared and had enough free space available in a locker. 😎

Reply 124 of 143, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2022-02-22, 11:17:

There are too few things that can actually surprise me, but you're right, there is nothing wrong with having plans for unexpected events.

Who could expect that a COVID pandemic will happen and I'll start collecting old computer junk? But I was well prepared and had enough free space available in a locker. 😎

Free Space .. what is this that you speak of >?

is it some kind of food ?

Reply 126 of 143, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-02-22, 11:24:
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2022-02-22, 11:17:

Free Space .. what is this that you speak of >?

I've heard of that in mystical stories, I won't believe it until I can see it with my own eyes.

Reply 127 of 143, by lawyerpepper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I’m considering overpaying for a NOS CDRW drive right now, because I’m running out of patience with used units that “mostly work, most of the time”. I’m just about ready to throw some cash at a NOS Plextor just to be done with the hassle.

Reply 128 of 143, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lawyerpepper wrote on 2022-02-22, 12:52:

I’m considering overpaying for a NOS CDRW drive right now, because I’m running out of patience with used units that “mostly work, most of the time”. I’m just about ready to throw some cash at a NOS Plextor just to be done with the hassle.

Before you spend large amounts of money keep in mind that NOS drives will often have the same issues with failing belts and brittle gears that you find with used ones.

Reply 129 of 143, by lawyerpepper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-02-22, 12:56:

Before you spend large amounts of money keep in mind that NOS drives will often have the same issues with failing belts and brittle gears that you find with used ones.

Yeah - the "overpaying" part would be buying from an established company to get a real warranty instead of hunting on Ebay and Craigslist.

Reply 130 of 143, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've bought 3 NOS IDE CDRWs for three new systems, even from off brands, in the past 2 years. So far, no troubles.

Reply 131 of 143, by ViTi95

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've recently overpaid for a Sigma Designs Color 400 (ISA 8-bit CGA extended card) on eBay, absolutely not proud of that, but it's the only way to get real hardware to develop on. Yeah, it's possible to develop using emulators, but an emulator will never be exactly the same as the original hardware.

https://www.youtube.com/@viti95

Reply 132 of 143, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I overpaid for a 1.5Ghz Willamette P4 on the weekend... 12.99CDN out of pocket when the cheapest ones on eBay are $4 ..... it did come attached to a mid tower with 2 opticals, a floppy, a superdrive, 2 sticks of 128MB PC133 and an an unbroken 478 HSF and mounting mech for free with it though, so maybe I got away with it this time.

Edit: I don't know whether I'm just naturally a dirty rotten liar, or it's the remnants of covid brain, or I'm getting prematurely senile, but it's got 2x256MB PC133 not 128s... and there was also an Asus V3800 in there, yay, *throws it on dragon hoard of TNT2s* ... heh not that bad, but I've got enough that you can tell I'm unexcited about getting another one.

Last edited by BitWrangler on 2022-02-22, 15:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 134 of 143, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2022-02-22, 15:03:

And what about underpaying?

Any true-life stories? 🙂

If you read most of the posts on this board, everyone got a Voodoo5 for $10, and then sold it to me for $800, ha ha...

Reply 135 of 143, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Meatball wrote on 2022-02-22, 15:24:

Any true-life stories? 🙂

If you read most of the posts on this board, everyone got a Voodoo5 for $10, and then sold it to me for $800, ha ha...

Give me a moment, I'll take a look maybe I also have something to offer you ... 😄

Reply 136 of 143, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2022-02-22, 16:40:
Meatball wrote on 2022-02-22, 15:24:

Any true-life stories? 🙂

Give me a moment, I'll take a look maybe I also have something to offer you ... 😄

Will it be overpriced? I'm salivating already... buy, buy, buy!!!

Reply 137 of 143, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Meatball wrote on 2022-02-22, 16:49:

Of course!

It will be overpriced, dirty and damaged enough to be considered a pure retro gem! 😄

Reply 138 of 143, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2022-02-22, 16:59:
Meatball wrote on 2022-02-22, 16:49:

Of course!

It will be overpriced, dirty and damaged enough to be considered a pure retro gem! 😄

Did I mention it has to have the box, all or most of the paperwork, and be almost brand new? That's mandatory for overpaying... But there's plenty of other members who'll give you $5 and a hearty handshake!

Reply 139 of 143, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Meatball wrote on 2022-02-22, 17:03:

Did I mention it has to have the box, all or most of the paperwork, and be almost brand new? That's mandatory for overpaying... But there's plenty of other members who'll give you $5 and a hearty handshake!

Shiny white shoebox and printed manual from the Internet will be included of course. And dirty and a bit damaged that's what almost brand new actually is. 🙂