Reply 2 of 21, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
abyss wrote:

I did something dumb i did mount c c:
That was very stupid.

Damn, guess you'll have to reformat your computer now.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 21, by abyss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

my computer has so far lasted almost a week with the mount c c: and i have no problems. What is so bad with mount c c:/. I don't have windows 3.1 yet and i have only used it on games and 4dos so what is going to happen to my computer. It says in the guide don't mount c c:/ but i have not had troubles yet. What's going to happen.

Reply 5 of 21, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Potentially the deletion of all files on your hard drive or file corruption/modification that you would never notice until it's too late.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 21, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Which brings to mind, would an AV program in Windows see a virus loaded into DOSBox's memory?

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 8 of 21, by frobme

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
collector wrote:

Which brings to mind, would an AV program in Windows see a virus loaded into DOSBox's memory?

Some would. Some of the more particularly vile ones attach directly to all file operations and read data on the fly as the program reads it. However, if the Virus is old DOS-style, some of the modern programs are starting to skip them if they don't do harm/can't run under XP et al.

Of course there's not a lot a virus could do executing from within Dosbox to your host installation, unless it was written specifically with Dosbox in mind, which is highly unlikely. A virus running inside Dosbox could of course play hell with whatever directories you have mounted...which is one of the many reasons not to mount C as C:, but not the principle one.

Reply 9 of 21, by abyss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found a dos linux.
http://short.stop.home.att.net/freesoft/os.htm

I have one question though how would i mount it. It's called basic linux and i am just wonderinghow i would mount so i don't encounter problems. It requires a 386. Does dosbox emulate that.

Reply 13 of 21, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I unzipped the bl3-50.zip file, and mounted the directory bl3-50 as my C: drive in DOSBox.

But when I tried to run BOOT.BAT, the loadlin program complained that:

CPU is in V86-mode (may be WINDOWS, EMM386, QEMM, 386MAX, ...)
You need pure 386/486 real mode or a VCPI server to boot Linux
VCPI is supported by most EMS drivers (if EMS is enabled),
but never under WINDOWS-3.1 or WINDOWS'95.

Unfortunately I don't know how get DOSBox into real-mode, or how to make that VCPI work.

Last edited by MiniMax on 2007-04-05, 20:56. Edited 1 time in total.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 15 of 21, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What a comletely senseless thread ... is this?

This is, afterall, the "dosbox general" forum.

By the way, abyss:

What do you want to tell us: You tell us how stupid you were to mount c c: (1.), then you insist that this was not really stupid (it was, though) (2.) and then you come across with a "dos linux" (what the hell is this?) (3.).

What are we to expect next? A "dos amiga-os"?

Visit the end of the internet: www.groskreutz.de

Reply 16 of 21, by Wintermute

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I guess it's not easy to get a post count this high so fast (considering that he already surpassed both of us). 😉
If you can't do it with senseful and meaningful post you'll have to achieve it otherwise...

Reply 18 of 21, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Zorbid wrote:

It may be a Linux distro with a DOS launcher.
It's possible to bootstrap Linux from a DOS session, but then Linux removes DOS completely from the memory.

Loadlin used ot be the standard way to boot linux in ancient times, when people didn't want to mess with their partition setup. As has been guessed, right, it sets up memory as linux expects it, and then gives control to the linux boot code, which switches to pmode, initializes drivers and so on... With no disk image mounted, it can't ever work. AFAIK the CPU emulation is not complete enough for a real 32-bit OS anyways.

Reply 19 of 21, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CPU is probably fine (perhaps some #ifdef enabled for better exception support?), I think the biggest reason why it won't work is disk access. There are no IDE ports 😀

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza