VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 42840 of 52338, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's quite unfortunate. I remember seeing that photo from his last warehouse episode and thinking how nice that complete NOS system would be and that it was good that a museum would get it. Thanks for letting us know and to keep an eye out.

Computer Reset was such an incredible time capsule of technology. I wish I had been local to it and would have volunteered.

Did anyone else catch the scene where LGR was sifting through random boards in a box and made a comment that there was only junk left, as he casually sifts past an Apple 1 motherboard?

Reply 42842 of 52338, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sad to know that there are such people in the world. I hope Computer Reset catalogued the serial numbers of all the valuable items before they were stolen.

Reply 42843 of 52338, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
digger wrote on 2022-02-27, 10:18:

Sad to know that there are such people in the world. I hope Computer Reset catalogued the serial numbers of all the valuable items before they were stolen.

I have a feeling that whoever broke in and stole these items knew exactly what they wanted and I doubt very much we will see them hit any of the seller markets, these are likely headed for some collectors stash.

I figure they cased the place previously so they would know what to grab and where it was plus grab a few other pointless things to make it look like a random break-in.

Two very rare IBM Executive Workstations plus a rare IBM terminal + Terminal Keyboard and monitor .. they are not random items, the Model M keyboard and TRS 80 do sound like while we are here things to grab, the cash seems out of place and rather random.

Reply 42844 of 52338, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-02-27, 07:10:

Did anyone else catch the scene where LGR was sifting through random boards in a box and made a comment that there was only junk left, as he casually sifts past an Apple 1 motherboard?

Yep, and I even left a comment about it that no one noticed apparently 😅

Reply 42845 of 52338, by RetroPC_King

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PC@LIVE wrote on 2022-02-22, 20:43:
Ordered a batch of motherboards yesterday, three ASUS and one ASROCK. Looking in detail these are cards from the mid-late 2000s, […]
Show full quote

Ordered a batch of motherboards yesterday, three ASUS and one ASROCK.
Looking in detail these are cards from the mid-late 2000s, The ASRock is a socket 478 for Pentium CPUs up to Prescott, it has some capacitors to replace in the area near the CPU, the exact model is P4VT8 +, I have a working one that I repaired long ago, changing the same bulging capacitors.
A couple of ASUS sockets are 754 sockets, apparently they look fine, here I think it may be possible that at least one works, according to the vendor they have been put away for PC upgrades.
The other ASUS is AM2, and it has some swollen capacitors, hoping that the failure is just that, after the capacitor change it might work again, as card looks interesting, it seems to support more powerful CPUs, if I'm not mistaken until 125W, at the moment I don't have such a CPU, I have a Phenom X3 8650 in another PC, but if I'm not mistaken here could you even put a Phenom X6?

Nice haul. Fun fact; i have a fully functional ASUS K8N-E Deluxe, it was in a build of mine. It is a stable board, also with the cool nForce 3 250Gb chipset. Keep it up!

Reply 42846 of 52338, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
furan wrote on 2022-02-27, 06:44:
I'm not usually one to post off topic (I've posted new acquisitions in this thread several times). But, this seems like the righ […]
Show full quote

I'm not usually one to post off topic (I've posted new acquisitions in this thread several times). But, this seems like the right place.

Computer Reset (that warehouse of old computers in Texas that they're trying to clear out for the owner) was broken into this week, and a number of items were stolen, including two IBM 7496 Executive Workstations, which will probably stand out if you see them on eBay, since they're so rare (one color, the other mono).
l0GMKnQ.jpg
GQkHP6T.jpg

LGR has a full thread here including a list of other stolen items, and there is a reward: https://twitter.com/lazygamereviews/status/14 … 639731227725830

Sorry for going OT, but I figured since the folks in this thread are probably like me, watching eBay and local sales, it'd be a good place to post.

Hope they get caught and punished.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 42847 of 52338, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
20220227_182352.jpg
Filename
20220227_182352.jpg
File size
1.4 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

When I got to the flea market, there was someone already looking through a pile of cards from one of the sellers I usually get my stuff from. Didnt see all what they got, but among those were a voodoo2 and big SB16 card. Was afraid all of the good stuff was already picked out. Luckily, the pile still had a couple cards I needed. An ISA controller card and a friggin VOODOO 3500! Even better - a Compaq OEM version that doesnt need that silly VGA adapter cable.

Also picked up a Geforce 7950 gx2 and a Steam controller later on. Is the Steam controller retro yet? It IS discontinued now after all.

I gave it a test+wash and it works great. Not a fan of the touch-dpad, but aiming in fps games with the right pad is way better than a regular controller. I like it!

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 42848 of 52338, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Munx wrote on 2022-02-27, 16:39:
20220227_182352.jpg When I got to the flea market, there was someone already looking through a pile of cards from one of the sel […]
Show full quote

20220227_182352.jpg
When I got to the flea market, there was someone already looking through a pile of cards from one of the sellers I usually get my stuff from. Didnt see all what they got, but among those were a voodoo2 and big SB16 card. Was afraid all of the good stuff was already picked out. Luckily, the pile still had a couple cards I needed. An ISA controller card and a friggin VOODOO 3500! Even better - a Compaq OEM version that doesnt need that silly VGA adapter cable.

Also picked up a Geforce 7950 gx2 and a Steam controller later on. Is the Steam controller retro yet? It IS discontinued now after all.

I gave it a test+wash and it works great. Not a fan of the touch-dpad, but aiming in fps games with the right pad is way better than a regular controller. I like it!

Wow.... a Compaq Voodoo 3500. Nice work!

Reply 42849 of 52338, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Munx wrote on 2022-02-27, 16:39:
20220227_182352.jpg When I got to the flea market, there was someone already looking through a pile of cards from one of the sel […]
Show full quote

20220227_182352.jpg

V3-3500 Compaq edition is one of those sweet spot cards, for something like P-II to P-III-800/900 system's. If you go faster, you really need something better like Geforce2-GTS/GF3-ti200.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 42850 of 52338, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-02-27, 07:10:

That's quite unfortunate. I remember seeing that photo from his last warehouse episode and thinking how nice that complete NOS system would be and that it was good that a museum would get it. Thanks for letting us know and to keep an eye out.

Computer Reset was such an incredible time capsule of technology. I wish I had been local to it and would have volunteered.

Yup, I did.... Though Apple-1 machines are more collectable than actually useable. If you really want a useable 8-bit Apple machine, then you need to source one of the many Apple-II systems. It is a bit like Commodore16 versus Commodore64. The low end machine has it's charme, but you really want to go with the better one. Sure I would love to have an Apple-1, but it would just be a showcase item in my collection.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 42851 of 52338, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroPC_King wrote on 2022-02-27, 13:24:
PC@LIVE wrote on 2022-02-22, 20:43:
Ordered a batch of motherboards yesterday, three ASUS and one ASROCK. Looking in detail these are cards from the mid-late 2000s, […]
Show full quote

Ordered a batch of motherboards yesterday, three ASUS and one ASROCK.
Looking in detail these are cards from the mid-late 2000s, The ASRock is a socket 478 for Pentium CPUs up to Prescott, it has some capacitors to replace in the area near the CPU, the exact model is P4VT8 +, I have a working one that I repaired long ago, changing the same bulging capacitors.
A couple of ASUS sockets are 754 sockets, apparently they look fine, here I think it may be possible that at least one works, according to the vendor they have been put away for PC upgrades.
The other ASUS is AM2, and it has some swollen capacitors, hoping that the failure is just that, after the capacitor change it might work again, as card looks interesting, it seems to support more powerful CPUs, if I'm not mistaken until 125W, at the moment I don't have such a CPU, I have a Phenom X3 8650 in another PC, but if I'm not mistaken here could you even put a Phenom X6?

Nice haul. Fun fact; i have a fully functional ASUS K8N-E Deluxe, it was in a build of mine. It is a stable board, also with the cool nForce 3 250Gb chipset. Keep it up!

Yes indeed it was a good deal, because in addition to the four cards of the lot, I received a fifth for free, the card is a MSI MS-6741 uATX SKT754, it is in very good visual condition, I hope to try it as soon as possible, the PCB is a nice red color, if it works I could look for other components with Red PCB, at the moment I have a VGA AGP ATI 9200SE, and I should have some Kingmax DDR RAM also with Red PCB, this at least at the moment is a idea of ​​creating a total Red PC.
Returning to the ASUS K8N-E Deluxe, I imagined it was a well equipped card with above average performance, I will try to find a more powerful and faster CPU, the provisional one (Sempron 2800) I think it can go if you do not need a system with two or more cores , the speed is only 1600MHz, but maybe with overclocking you can go faster.

AMD 286-16 287-10 4MB HD 45MB VGA 256KB
AMD 386DX-40 Intel 387 8MB HD 81MB VGA 256KB
Cyrix 486DLC-40 IIT387-40 8MB VGA 512KB
AMD 5X86-133 16MB VGA VLB CL5428 2MB and many others
AMD K62+ 550 SOYO 5EMA+ and many others
AST Pentium Pro 200 MHz L2 256KB

Reply 42852 of 52338, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got this offered to me from a recycler.. Looks like a cookie cutter Socket 7 with a Pentium MMX, Virge/DX and some kind of SB Pro compatible card (likely an ALS100 or something). Worth grabbing? The case looks like an InWin but I'm pretty sure it's a cheap clone. As for the MB, I can't ID it - looks like some kind of PC Chips VX or TX board but not one I am familiar with. Any ideas? I feel like it's not worth the money and time needed to restore it, but..

Attachments

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 42853 of 52338, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2022-02-28, 07:19:

Got this offered to me from a recycler.. Looks like a cookie cutter Socket 7 with a Pentium MMX, Virge/DX and some kind of SB Pro compatible card (likely an ALS100 or something). Worth grabbing? The case looks like an InWin but I'm pretty sure it's a cheap clone. As for the MB, I can't ID it - looks like some kind of PC Chips VX or TX board but not one I am familiar with. Any ideas? I feel like it's not worth the money and time needed to restore it, but..

Duh, depends on the money. 😁

The tower seems ok, try to abstract from the dirt and most importantly, is that dark square a seven segment LED "frequency" display?
That alone would easily be 50 bucks on ebay for the case.

Yes, sound and VGA are probably NTWHA. The sound might be the ALS100+ which kinda sucks, but there are some of that shape with real opl3.

The MoBo is an PC-Chips M558.
The period correct CD-ROM would also be a plus.

In good working condition, these things now demand aroud 100 € on ebay, I'd wager. The rest is up to your personal risk assessment...

I like jumpers.

Reply 42854 of 52338, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2022-02-28, 07:19:

I really like that case. The fact that it still has some of the stock front expansion covers is a nice bonus. Don't lose them!

Reply 42855 of 52338, by fool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The case is OK, not the worst for sure. After cleaning it should look great. Speeeeed display is set by pressing reset button, at least in the one I have.

Toshiba T8500 desktop
SAM/CS9233 Wavetable Synthesizer daughterboard
Coming: 40-pin 8MB SIMM kit, CS4232 ISA wavetable sound card

Reply 42856 of 52338, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Apparently I was too late to save the case - got pressed into sheet and sold as scrap already. Got two 32MB SIMMs, a Zoltrix Audio Plus 6400 3D PnP V.5 (AV310) C-Media CMI8830/A sound card (second one in my collection, it's a nice card with integrated Genuine OPL3, SB Pro/16/WSS compatibility and SPDIF out..) and a ceramic Pentium MMX CPU for 10 bucks though. I passed on the generic S3 Trio and PCChips Socket 7 motherboard - I have neither the use nor the space fo them.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 42857 of 52338, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some days ago this arrived for the ATX case using an AT mainboard. I've to make the hole for the connector.

Attachments

• atx.jpg
    Filename
    atx.jpg
    File size
    53.36 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 42858 of 52338, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote on 2022-02-28, 12:29:

Apparently I was too late to save the case - got pressed into sheet and sold as scrap already. Got two 32MB SIMMs, a Zoltrix Audio Plus 6400 3D PnP V.5 (AV310) C-Media CMI8830/A sound card (second one in my collection, it's a nice card with integrated Genuine OPL3, SB Pro/16/WSS compatibility and SPDIF out..) and a ceramic Pentium MMX CPU for 10 bucks though. I passed on the generic S3 Trio and PCChips Socket 7 motherboard - I have neither the use nor the space fo them.

386SX wrote on 2022-02-28, 12:55:

Some days ago this arrived for the ATX case using an AT mainboard. I've to make the hole for the connector.

For some reason I was thinking (veeeery briefly!) the case was pressed into sheet metal and then made into the io shield 386SX just bought xD

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!