VOGONS


ATI RAGE 128 GL (PCI) and 128 PRO (AGP) BIOS

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 36, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There was some thread where someone mentioned to me that they have what looked identical to the Mac version of the 128 GL, but worked fine in his PC.

As for the NIB card from that interloper seller, unless you are after a Rage 128 Pro in PRO format, I wouldn't buy it. His listing said it was for 128 GL, I bought it (some time ago), and the card was a 128 PRO. I mentioned this to him, but he didn't respond to me. Here's some photos of the contents.

Notice how the card says 128P? I believe the "P" is for "Pro". When I went to setup the drivers, it said it was Rage 128 Pro.

The attachment Xpert128_1.jpg is no longer available
The attachment Xpert128_2.jpg is no longer available
The attachment Xpert128_3.jpg is no longer available
The attachment Xpert128_4.jpg is no longer available

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 21 of 36, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
feipoa wrote on 2019-07-16, 08:29:
There was some thread where someone mentioned to me that they have what looked identical to the Mac version of the 128 GL, but w […]
Show full quote

There was some thread where someone mentioned to me that they have what looked identical to the Mac version of the 128 GL, but worked fine in his PC.

As for the NIB card from that interloper seller, unless you are after a Rage 128 Pro in PRO format, I wouldn't buy it. His listing said it was for 128 GL, I bought it (some time ago), and the card was a 128 PRO. I mentioned this to him, but he didn't respond to me. Here's some photos of the contents.

Notice how the card says 128P? I believe the "P" is for "Pro". When I went to setup the drivers, it said it was Rage 128 Pro.

Xpert128_1.jpg
Xpert128_2.jpg
Xpert128_3.jpg
Xpert128_4.jpg

If you still have this card, would you be able to dump the bios for it? It might be what I need to get one of those Diablotek Rage 128 Pros booting on my vintage PCs. The bios must have an SSE/SSE2 instruction in it because the card never initializes on retro kit. Works fine in newer computers, although I don't know why you'd want to use it in them.

The PCB layout of this card is identical to the Diablotek "reproduction" except this has a copyright of 2001 and the Diablotek has a copyright of 2003. Maybe this card has an older bios as well?

Thanks!

Reply 22 of 36, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can try; that box is buried behind numerous PC towers and motherboard bins. I may also have the Chinese generic 128PRO card in the box. Do you want that generic VGABIOS as well? Since the BIOSes are soldered, I'll have to use NSSI. I don't particularly want to desolder the EEPROMs to read their contents.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 23 of 36, by astonsmith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Hi everyone,

I have a Connect 3D version of the Rage 128 Pro (C3D 6000, 32MB). Interestingly, it's marked on the board as an "ATI-128 PRO/ULTRA".

I've no idea if this helps anyone, but in case it does, I've used NSSI to dump its VBIOS (as it's soldiered onto the board).

2002/04/10 09:50
CONNECT 3D RAGE128 PRO BIOS V1.02 -PAL
(C) 1988-99, ATI Technologies Inc. BK3.0.2 VR001.001.003.003.000.026

Hopefully this works, because apparently "the extension VBI is not allowed".

Reply 24 of 36, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Attached are two Rage128 Pro BIOSes. One is for the retail boxed ATI XPERT128 rage128 pro, the other is for a Chinese generic repica rage128 pro. BIOS was written by NSSI.

I'm not sure why the Chinese generic BIOS is 45K while the ATI one is 32K. Usually BIOSes come in standard sizes, like 32KB, 64KB, 128KB, etc.

Both BIOSes are from PCI cards. The ATI has 16 MB memory, while the Chinese has 32 MB.

Last edited by feipoa on 2022-02-27, 11:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 25 of 36, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
astonsmith wrote on 2022-02-26, 12:31:
Hi everyone, […]
Show full quote

Hi everyone,

I have a Connect 3D version of the Rage 128 Pro (C3D 6000, 32MB). Interestingly, it's marked on the board as an "ATI-128 PRO/ULTRA".

I've no idea if this helps anyone, but in case it does, I've used NSSI to dump its VBIOS (as it's soldiered onto the board).

2002/04/10 09:50
CONNECT 3D RAGE128 PRO BIOS V1.02 -PAL
(C) 1988-99, ATI Technologies Inc. BK3.0.2 VR001.001.003.003.000.026

Hopefully this works, because apparently "the extension VBI is not allowed".

is this an AGP or PCI card?

Reply 26 of 36, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Was the ATI XPERT128 BIOS able to get your Diablotek Rage128Pro working?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 28 of 36, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
feipoa wrote on 2022-02-27, 04:01:

Was the ATI XPERT128 BIOS able to get your Diablotek Rage128Pro working?

I was working a double last night so I’ve not tried it yet. I’m going to have a nap and then give it a go before I go back to work.

The Diablotek has a 40k ROM though so I’m not sure. I may need to append some FFs or 00s to the rom to make it fill the eeprom on the card. We will see what atiflash says when I try it.

astonsmith wrote on 2022-02-27, 11:08:
aspiringnobody wrote on 2022-02-27, 03:16:

is this an AGP or PCI card?

It's AGP, sorry should've mentioned that.

No worries! Thanks for being willing to help!

Reply 29 of 36, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
feipoa wrote on 2022-02-27, 04:01:

Was the ATI XPERT128 BIOS able to get your Diablotek Rage128Pro working?

No dice. Both ROMs flash successfully but the card still doesn't display any video output.

Works in PIII machine though *.*

Reply 30 of 36, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
aspiringnobody wrote on 2022-02-28, 02:47:
feipoa wrote on 2022-02-27, 04:01:

Was the ATI XPERT128 BIOS able to get your Diablotek Rage128Pro working?

No dice. Both ROMs flash successfully but the card still doesn't display any video output.

Works in PIII machine though *.*

Out of curiosity, does your card boot in 486/PI/PII systems? I have three identical diablotek cards and none of them work in any of my pre-PIII systems. I don't think it's a 3.3V/5V thing because both regulators are on my boards and the chips do heat up. I've also measured vcore at the caps on the back of the Rage 128 chip and had voltage there. ASIC ID 5050 according to atiflash.

Reply 31 of 36, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know the Chinese card ran in my 486, but OpenGL didn't work properly. I don't recall the outcome of the ATI card.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 32 of 36, by matose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
Seaside wrote on 2012-03-05, 22:18:

Yes i was looking a BIOS to "fix" a MAC PCI card.

I manage to fix the AGP.

Sorry for the thread necro but how did you managed to fix the MAC AGP card?
I mounted a socket for the BIOS and flashed over 20 BIOS versions with no luck. The VGA card is the traditional 109-63000-00
Thanks

Reply 33 of 36, by tauro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Mine has a soldered BIOS, looks like it's for MAC and I'd like to get a PC BIOS on it. It's a 109-72700-02.

Is there some software to flash these cards on a running system, i.e. booting from a PCI video card and flashing the AGP card's BIOS?

Reply 34 of 36, by moflihmoflih

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

while navigating the web looking for a PC bios for my MAC rage 128 card i stumbled upon this thread
and i realized that i was not the only one trying to do this conversion
since you are struggling the same way i do, and some of you now are even convinced that it might not be possible to do it
well let me share my experience with you maybe someone might get some benefit out of it.

i have found an ATI rage 128 PCI (up until now i didn't know it was a mac version) in the scrap yard the card looked fine

The attachment DSC_1391.JPG is no longer available

used it in my P4 machine (a corporate dull hp) the card showed no sign of life
so i inserted an AGP card and went to flash utility the card shows as a Rage128 adapter, good, tried to reflash the bios

The attachment DSC_1386.JPG is no longer available
The attachment image-1784767084061.jpg is no longer available

so as you see in the picture the flash utility couldn't do its task, not good
so suspecting a bad bios i desoldered and dumped it with Xgpro the flash eeprom reads fine, good
went to theretroweb and found couple of bioses, one of the was for MAC ! aha
i compared the one i dumped to the mac and it was the exact same thing, goood
so at that moment i realized that it was a MAC card from the beginning, i downloaded the two other bioses
one was 32KB the other is 64KB, flashed the 32KB version, soldered the rom chip, and went to HWINFO under windows

The attachment image-1784811449071.jpg is no longer available

the card shows fine as a rage128 32MB, Good
tried to post with the card, black screen nothing happens, Not Good
so i had to try the other bios 64kB, luckily this time i was able to flash it using the utility but from a Pentium 3 pc!
the flash utility was upset about my P4 maybe!!
flash went fine, tried to post with the card as primary adapter, and voila ! the card Posts 😁, Gooooooood
but when the post screen changes to MSDOS or windows loading screen, i get "Signal Error" on my LCD monitor, Not Goood
so back to the AGP as primary and into windows HWinfo, the card shows up as a rage128 All-in-Wonder 16MB !!! Aghhhhh damn
ironically the working bios was from an All-in-Wonder card that its just a 16MB
so asked chatgpt what can be the problem with my monitor signal error, it adviced me to use a CRT as LCD can be little picky
sure i did, got that CRT, and the card worked !!! goooood
but eventhough its working the vBios i have is just initializing half of the VRAM
so here i am looking for the right bios
who ever found it let me know please
End of story.

Reply 35 of 36, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
moflihmoflih wrote on 2026-07-24, 13:06:
while navigating the web looking for a PC bios for my MAC rage 128 card i stumbled upon this thread and i realized that i was no […]
Show full quote

while navigating the web looking for a PC bios for my MAC rage 128 card i stumbled upon this thread
and i realized that i was not the only one trying to do this conversion
since you are struggling the same way i do, and some of you now are even convinced that it might not be possible to do it
well let me share my experience with you maybe someone might get some benefit out of it.

i have found an ATI rage 128 PCI (up until now i didn't know it was a mac version) in the scrap yard the card looked fine

The attachment DSC_1391.JPG is no longer available

used it in my P4 machine (a corporate dull hp) the card showed no sign of life
so i inserted an AGP card and went to flash utility the card shows as a Rage128 adapter, good, tried to reflash the bios

The attachment DSC_1386.JPG is no longer available
The attachment image-1784767084061.jpg is no longer available

so as you see in the picture the flash utility couldn't do its task, not good
so suspecting a bad bios i desoldered and dumped it with Xgpro the flash eeprom reads fine, good
went to theretroweb and found couple of bioses, one of the was for MAC ! aha
i compared the one i dumped to the mac and it was the exact same thing, goood
so at that moment i realized that it was a MAC card from the beginning, i downloaded the two other bioses
one was 32KB the other is 64KB, flashed the 32KB version, soldered the rom chip, and went to HWINFO under windows

The attachment image-1784811449071.jpg is no longer available

the card shows fine as a rage128 32MB, Good
tried to post with the card, black screen nothing happens, Not Good
so i had to try the other bios 64kB, luckily this time i was able to flash it using the utility but from a Pentium 3 pc!
the flash utility was upset about my P4 maybe!!
flash went fine, tried to post with the card as primary adapter, and voila ! the card Posts 😁, Gooooooood
but when the post screen changes to MSDOS or windows loading screen, i get "Signal Error" on my LCD monitor, Not Goood
so back to the AGP as primary and into windows HWinfo, the card shows up as a rage128 All-in-Wonder 16MB !!! Aghhhhh damn
ironically the working bios was from an All-in-Wonder card that its just a 16MB
so asked chatgpt what can be the problem with my monitor signal error, it adviced me to use a CRT as LCD can be little picky
sure i did, got that CRT, and the card worked !!! goooood
but eventhough its working the vBios i have is just initializing half of the VRAM
so here i am looking for the right bios
who ever found it let me know please
End of story.

Check this recent thread by Socket3... (yet another) Flash Rage 128 GL MAC cards to PC thread - AGP and PCI - [Partial Success]