VOGONS

Reply 200 of 597, by fool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It broke while I studied the "upper jumper". Removing the jumper seemed to have no impact to cache size. Also changed it to the other position but accidents happen and I didn't get results regarding cache size. I don't think it that broke the CPU but still possible scenario.

Toshiba T8500 desktop
SAM/CS9233 Wavetable Synthesizer daughterboard
Coming: 40-pin 8MB SIMM kit, CS4232 ISA wavetable sound card

Reply 201 of 597, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
fool wrote on 2022-02-25, 20:36:

It broke while I was studied the "upper jumper". Removing the jumper seemed have no impact to cache size. Also changed it to the other position but accidents happen and I didn't get results regarding cache size. I don't think it that broke the CPU but still possible scenario.

Upper jumper normal position: cpu worked
Removing upper jumper: cpu worked
Moving upper jumper: may have broken cpu? But you also cracked the die at this time?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 202 of 597, by fool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Something like that. Die got cracked at unknown point... These things should not be done when you are tired.
I could play with this one a bit more, some day, because there is no other use for it.

Toshiba T8500 desktop
SAM/CS9233 Wavetable Synthesizer daughterboard
Coming: 40-pin 8MB SIMM kit, CS4232 ISA wavetable sound card

Reply 204 of 597, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-02-25, 21:26:

Here's a link for artic silver thermal adhesives.
https://www.frozencpu.com/products/8494/thr-5 … ams_AA-14G.html

that doesn’t appear to be artic silver thermal adhesive

I’m gonna try some of this stuff

“ MG Chemicals 8329TCM-6ML Medium Cure Thermal Conductive Adhesive 6ML Tube”

And some of this hardscape stuff

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 205 of 597, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You are correct I pasted the wrong link sorry about that.

Well I usually get that stuff from either Frozencpu.com or performance-pcs.com but it seems they don't have it anymore.

Last edited by chrismeyer6 on 2022-02-25, 22:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 206 of 597, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-02-25, 21:53:

You are correct I pasted the wrong link sorry about that.

Did you find something better than what I found?

MG Chemicals 8329TCM-6ML Medium Cure Thermal Conductive Adhesive 6ML Tube
Condition: New
Manufacturer: MG Chemicals
Part Number: 8329TCM-6ML

The 8329TCM Medium Cure Thermal Conductive Adhesive is an electronically insulating epoxy that combines moderate curing rate and high thermal conductivity. It has a convenient 1-to-1 ratio, a workable 45 minutes pot life, and a moderate curing rate. It may achieve a minimal service cure in seven hours at room temperature. The cure adhesive bonds very well to most substrates used in electronic assemblies; and resists thermal and mechanical shocks.
Excellent 1.36 W/(m*K) thermal conductivity
Easy 1-to1 mix ratio
Adheres to most electronic substrates
Stores and ships at slightly below room temperature - no freezing or dry ice required
Very long shelf life of at least two years - even when stored at room temperature
Strong water and chemical resistance to brine, acids, bases, and aliphatic hydrocarbons

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 208 of 597, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fsheatsink.jpg
Filename
fsheatsink.jpg
File size
484.61 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Here's how the heatsink was factory-attached to the cpu in a Fujitsu-Siemens computer. I was going to open a thread to ask you guys what type of 'glue' could that be, as I'll be needing to permanently attach a heatsink to some Duron for testing a Socket A board that can't accept a heatsink any more (all three prongs broken on one side of the socket).
But since this discussion is now focused on glue and re-attaching the IHS, I think I'll just ask here, and share my findings with you.
I once got a delidded (but not cleaned) K6-2 from the fleamarket, and the glue remains seemed very similar to what Fujitsu-Siemens used to attach the h/s to the cpu. Also I think AMD used the same 'glue' as a thermal compound, I remember the stuff around the die was about the same hardness as the one in the four corner where the IHS was attached.
Did a little research (in fact too little to be called as such), and I wonder if the glue we're looking at could be "MS Polymer Adhesive". In my next trip to the hardware store I'll buy a tube of such thing and report here.

Reply 209 of 597, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
quicknick wrote on 2022-02-25, 22:05:
fsheatsink.jpg Here's how the heatsink was factory-attached to the cpu in a Fujitsu-Siemens computer. I was going to open a thre […]
Show full quote

fsheatsink.jpg
Here's how the heatsink was factory-attached to the cpu in a Fujitsu-Siemens computer. I was going to open a thread to ask you guys what type of 'glue' could that be, as I'll be needing to permanently attach a heatsink to some Duron for testing a Socket A board that can't accept a heatsink any more (all three prongs broken on one side of the socket).
But since this discussion is now focused on glue and re-attaching the IHS, I think I'll just ask here, and share my findings with you.
I once got a delidded (but not cleaned) K6-2 from the fleamarket, and the glue remains seemed very similar to what Fujitsu-Siemens used to attach the h/s to the cpu. Also I think AMD used the same 'glue' as a thermal compound, I remember the stuff around the die was about the same hardness as the one in the four corner where the IHS was attached.
Did a little research (in fact too little to be called as such), and I wonder if the glue we're looking at could be "MS Polymer Adhesive". In my next trip to the hardware store I'll buy a tube of such thing and report here.

https://www.permabond.com/resource-center/con … dified-epoxies/

Did a bit of reading on this, I suspect that a two part should be used if used for the die.

I plan of course to use the thermal adhesive on the die though. And the grey rubbery stuff on the corners.

I’m trying to think how I will neatly apply it though. I expect it will be stringy.

Perhaps a dab on the stain on the cramic, then a dab on the corner on the ihs.

We still need someone to make a 3d printed centering tool. Anyone wanna volunteer?

I’m thinking the centering tool should snap onto the cermaic.

And a c clamp can be used to press the die and IHS together for a few days while it all cures with any luck these can be better than factory when done.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 210 of 597, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
3faltigkeit wrote on 2022-02-25, 16:52:

Hi there, for me it seems that it doesnt work. I removed the smd completely. Now my GA-5AX beeps. One long and two short beebs followed by something thats sound like dööödööö. The CPU still gets warm but doenst work even at 300 MHz. Removing the RAM gives another beep code. So I guess on my K6-2+ 350 AUZ there is maybe only 128 KB Cache in working condition and now it runs into an error when checking 256KB cache. But yeah... thats only a guess. Now I would need a new resistor because my got broken during removal. Does anybody know which specs it has?

The K6-2+/350AUZ would have CPUID 0580 0r 058C (not sure which, but model 8). The 450 and later are 05D4, and the K6-3+ are all 05D0, which is a much closer die (both are model D). Don't know whether the mod changes the revision (last nibble of the CPUID), but the model number is the same.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 211 of 597, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I’m going to update OP with a score card on successful unlocks vs the models used.

I need everyone to report who has tried this mod,
I need:
-cpu-z before and after screenshot
-max stable clock
-full processor model
-minimum stable voltage at max over clock,
-wether or not stock clock and voltage was stable
-any other notes of interest

Simply make a reply with this info and I will link to your reply under your model in OP
Make a separate reply for every chip you have tried. It will show that there are multiple data points for the same chip

Last edited by Sphere478 on 2022-02-28, 01:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 212 of 597, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AMD-K6-2+/570ACZ mod was a full success.
-2.1v 600mhz is as high as I got it.
-it was stable at overclock therfore also stable at stock. I didn’t find the limit, I expect there was more in the chip than 600mhz. I will update this post eventually with more updates overclocking results when I can.

Re: SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod More pics and info

Last edited by Sphere478 on 2022-02-28, 01:42. Edited 2 times in total.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 213 of 597, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

K6-2+/350AUZ unsuccessful Re: SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod

I suspect that only (and all) K6-2+/450, with model D in the CPUID, will work. I'd be interested to know if the CPUID changes from rev 4 (ie 05D4) to rev 0 (05D0) on modding the CPU. If not, that will provide a way to know whether it is a genuine K6-3+.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 214 of 597, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
debs3759 wrote on 2022-02-27, 23:04:

K6-2+/350AUZ unsuccessful Re: SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod

I suspect that only (and all) K6-2+/450, with model D in the CPUID, will work. I'd be interested to know if the CPUID changes from rev 4 (ie 05D4) to rev 0 (05D0) on modding the CPU. If not, that will provide a way to know whether it is a genuine K6-3+.

I added that link to the list but would like the author to make another post with requested info that I can update to.

I am curious about the ID strings you are talking about.

I wonder if the ID may be related to pre binning. Perhaps cpus with bad cache got a specific ID but not all locked ones ended up with this ID it may be that the ID can tell us if the mod will work before trying it. Or at least suggest it.

We need more data.

Really need everyone trying this to report in this thread so we can compile the data.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 215 of 597, by 3faltigkeit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I wasn't at home over weekend. Which information do you need exactly?
The CPUID regarding aida32 is 05D4h (extended CPU revision: 06D4h).

I am afraid at the moment I can't do risky experiments. Because I only have one Socket 7 Board and only one K6-2+.
Furthermore I don't have a multimeter at hand to messure.

PIII-S @ 1.8GHz, TUSL2-C, 512 MB CL2, GF 7600GS, SB X-Fi
AMD K6-2+ @ 620 MHz, ASUS P5A, 256MB RAM, GeForce2MX, Voodo02SLI + AWE64Gold+Roland SC-55
AMD 486 160 MHz, 32 MB RAM, Terratec Maestro 32/96, Trident TGUI 9440 AGi 2MB VLB

Reply 216 of 597, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
3faltigkeit wrote on 2022-02-28, 10:24:
Hi, I wasn't at home over weekend. Which information do you need exactly? The CPUID regarding aida32 is 05D4h (extended CPU revi […]
Show full quote

Hi, I wasn't at home over weekend. Which information do you need exactly?
The CPUID regarding aida32 is 05D4h (extended CPU revision: 06D4h).

I am afraid at the moment I can't do risky experiments. Because I only have one Socket 7 Board and only one K6-2+.
Furthermore I don't have a multimeter at hand to messure.

-cpu-z before and after screenshot
-max stable clock
-full processor model
-minimum stable voltage at max over clock,
-wether or not stock clock and voltage was stable
-any other notes of interest

Reply with what you can. If not all no worries. Just post what you have 😀

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 218 of 597, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
386SX wrote on 2022-02-28, 12:33:

This is impressive! Anyway were some dos low level cache benchmarks tested to check the full cache status or stability?

Earlier in the thread it was discussed how to set up memtest for a cache burn in test

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 219 of 597, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-02-28, 12:43:
386SX wrote on 2022-02-28, 12:33:

This is impressive! Anyway were some dos low level cache benchmarks tested to check the full cache status or stability?

Earlier in the thread it was discussed how to set up memtest for a cache burn in test

Any info from the Phil msdos cache testing benchmarks like CHKCPU or CACHECHK or SpeedSys 4.78? 😉

Last edited by 386SX on 2022-03-01, 17:13. Edited 1 time in total.