VOGONS

First post, by Xray1281

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi to all readers I just had a couple of questions that I was hoping the people of Vogons could help answer. I recently got my super 90’s computer up and running but I am having some problems getting windows 98se installed. My motherboard is a 0r840 dual slot board. When in the bios I have configured it to look for my cd drive first. The version of windows 98se I got was sealed and when I opened it it only had a cd and no boot floppy. Idk if this was a manufacturing error or if some versions of 98se don’t need one. But no matter what I try my computer keeps asking for a floppy.

Second: the graphics card I would like to use is a GeForce 256ddr. However I have only gotten that to run once. Every other time it bugs out. I have since out in an Nvidia Quadro 2 mxr and it’s been working fine. However I wanted to only allow parts from the 90’s any Tec past that is supposed to be off limits. Any ideas on what could be wrong with my graphics card?

D980D206-39C2-4EE9-9C3B-30184246366B.jpeg
Filename
D980D206-39C2-4EE9-9C3B-30184246366B.jpeg
File size
904.27 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Thank you all for any help. It’s really appreciated. I’m not really good at this stuff but it integrities me and I feel I’m slowly learning.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 17, by pinesal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not sure about the video card issue but for installing Windows 98, you need to go into the bios and change the boot order to CD first.

Hang out in the 90s with me on Twitch: The 90s Retro Gaming https://twitch.tv/90snick_pinesal
Retro Battlestation:
FIC VA-503+
AMD K6-2+ @ 600mhz
ATI Rage Fury 16MB
128mb PC100 RAM
137GB SSD
Windows 98

Reply 2 of 17, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Xray1281 wrote on 2022-02-01, 02:05:

When in the bios I have configured it to look for my cd drive first.

Is the battery saving the CMOS settings? ie has it saved the BIOS setting to boot from CD?

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 3 of 17, by Xray1281

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
debs3759 wrote on 2022-02-01, 04:41:

Is the battery saving the CMOS settings? ie has it saved the BIOS setting to boot from CD?

Yes it’s saves all my changes. I have even gone as far to make it not even register the floppy drive but it still won’t work

Reply 4 of 17, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Xray1281 wrote on 2022-02-01, 05:56:

Yes it’s saves all my changes. I have even gone as far to make it not even register the floppy drive but it still won’t work

You really can't catch a break with this, can you!

I've just chucked the following setup onto the test bench to try and figure the problem - IBM 6868 mb, 2GB RDRAM, 1 x 1000/256/133 Slot 1 cpu, Matrox G400 Dual Head, 6.4 GB IDE hdd, IDE CD-ROM & 1.4MB floppy. Boot priority is set to CD then floppy then hdd. Using 98 boot media on all devices, the setup always boots from the correct device, depending on whether the floppy disc and / or CD disc is present in the respective drives.

Guess the next thing to check is how you have your setup configured - this is mine

IBM Intelli 01.JPG
Filename
IBM Intelli 01.JPG
File size
834.28 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IBM Intelli 03.JPG
Filename
IBM Intelli 03.JPG
File size
988.28 KiB
Views
File license
IBM Intelli 04.JPG
Filename
IBM Intelli 04.JPG
File size
721.03 KiB
Views
File license

Assume 'Devices and I/O Ports' is where you disabled it at your end, and no floppy is mentioned anywhere on the 'Startup Sequence' page.

Last thought for now would be a BIOS version issue - can you check yours is the same as mine (believe this is the latest for this board version)

IBM Intelli 02.JPG
Filename
IBM Intelli 02.JPG
File size
619.72 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 5 of 17, by Xray1281

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2022-02-01, 10:38:
You really can't catch a break with this, can you! […]
Show full quote
Xray1281 wrote on 2022-02-01, 05:56:

You really can't catch a break with this, can you!

I've just chucked the following setup onto the test bench to try and figure the problem - IBM 6868 mb, 2GB RDRAM, 1 x 1000/256/133 Slot 1 cpu, Matrox G400 Dual Head, 6.4 GB IDE hdd, IDE CD-ROM & 1.4MB floppy. Boot priority is set to CD then floppy then hdd. Using 98 boot media on all devices, the setup always boots from the correct device, depending on whether the floppy disc and / or CD disc is present in the respective drives.

Guess the next thing to check is how you have your setup configured - this is mine

IBM Intelli 01.JPG
IBM Intelli 03.JPG
IBM Intelli 04.JPG

Assume 'Devices and I/O Ports' is where you disabled it at your end, and no floppy is mentioned anywhere on the 'Startup Sequence' page.

Last thought for now would be a BIOS version issue - can you check yours is the same as mine (believe this is the latest for this board version)

IBM Intelli 02.JPG

I have mine set to yours my bios version does seem to be a bit older here are some photos of what happens when I try to boot. It says media test failure at one point but idk what that would be when it picks up everything in the bios. I also get error 103 it says my processor speed is too high and moves it dow to 200MHz. Idk if that’s just for when I’m in bios or why that happens.

Attachments

Reply 7 of 17, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Xray1281 wrote on 2022-02-01, 17:39:

Here’s the start up sequence settings

OK, suspect the 103 error was introduced with the BIOS you're on (v41) and was fixed again with v43, so in that case you might as well update the BIOS to the same as me (v44) which you can download here

https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/flash-bios- … -type-6868-6878

For reference, the full BIOS history is attached

Filename
IBM Model 6868 BIOS Notes.txt
File size
3.75 KiB
Downloads
42 downloads
File license

Once that's done maybe the other issues might resolve themselves or we can investigate further if not.

Reply 8 of 17, by Xray1281

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2022-02-01, 23:41:
OK, suspect the 103 error was introduced with the BIOS you're on (v41) and was fixed again with v43, so in that case you might a […]
Show full quote
Xray1281 wrote on 2022-02-01, 17:39:

Here’s the start up sequence settings

OK, suspect the 103 error was introduced with the BIOS you're on (v41) and was fixed again with v43, so in that case you might as well update the BIOS to the same as me (v44) which you can download here

https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/flash-bios- … -type-6868-6878

For reference, the full BIOS history is attached

IBM Model 6868 BIOS Notes.txt

Once that's done maybe the other issues might resolve themselves or we can investigate further if not.

Would I have to get a floppy burner or can I update this bios with one of the USB ports on the motherboard. Also when I try to download from the link it just opens a new window but nothing happens…

Reply 9 of 17, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Xray1281 wrote on 2022-02-02, 01:10:

Would I have to get a floppy burner or can I update this bios with one of the USB ports on the motherboard. Also when I try to download from the link it just opens a new window but nothing happens…

Probably - it's been a while since I did a BIOS update on one of these boards, but I seem to remember the download I linked is designed to generate a BIOS update boot disk in the A: drive and the actual update routine wants to check the A: drive during the process - think both these steps are hard-coded.

For ease, I've attached the download here as well, so...

...unpack the ZIP file

...run the pljt44a.exe application at a DOS prompt to create the boot disk

...boot the machine with the boot disk in the floppy drive (A:) and follow th on-screen instructions

Filename
pljt44a.zip
File size
1.05 MiB
Downloads
41 downloads
File license

Reply 10 of 17, by Xray1281

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2022-02-02, 10:45:
Probably - it's been a while since I did a BIOS update on one of these boards, but I seem to remember the download I linked is d […]
Show full quote
Xray1281 wrote on 2022-02-02, 01:10:

Probably - it's been a while since I did a BIOS update on one of these boards, but I seem to remember the download I linked is designed to generate a BIOS update boot disk in the A: drive and the actual update routine wants to check the A: drive during the process - think both these steps are hard-coded.

For ease, I've attached the download here as well, so...

...unpack the ZIP file

...run the pljt44a.exe application at a DOS prompt to create the boot disk

...boot the machine with the boot disk in the floppy drive (A:) and follow th on-screen instructions

pljt44a.zip

Thanks. I got everything onto a floppy but it seems that the reason nothing will read is that error
pxe-e61 media test failure. I’m not sure how to fix it. Trying a few things if you have any tips or suggestions I’m open to it…

Reply 11 of 17, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Xray1281 wrote on 2022-02-07, 23:01:

Thanks. I got everything onto a floppy but it seems that the reason nothing will read is that error
pxe-e61 media test failure. I’m not sure how to fix it. Trying a few things if you have any tips or suggestions I’m open to it…

The error just means that for some reason the device seen at the end of your boot sequence is the on-board network adapter ( https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/sup … top-boards.html ). Can only assume this is still an issue with your startup sequence, so try the following...

- change your sequence to exactly the same as mine (see arrowed entries in attached pic) then save / exit from the BIOS and try booting from the floppy again

- if that doesn't work, go back into the startup sequence and change both 'Automatic Power On Startup Sequence' & 'Error Startup Sequence' to Disabled then save / exit from the BIOS and try booting from the floppy again

Let us know if either changes things. Also, as a matter of interest, how are you powering on the system - does it start as soon as you switch on the PSU, or do you have a on / off button connected to the front panel connector (the white one between the secondary IDE & floppy headers)

Start_Seq.jpg
Filename
Start_Seq.jpg
File size
659.32 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 12 of 17, by Xray1281

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2022-02-08, 09:38:
The error just means that for some reason the device seen at the end of your boot sequence is the on-board network adapter ( htt […]
Show full quote

The error just means that for some reason the device seen at the end of your boot sequence is the on-board network adapter ( https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/sup … top-boards.html ). Can only assume this is still an issue with your startup sequence, so try the following...

- change your sequence to exactly the same as mine (see arrowed entries in attached pic) then save / exit from the BIOS and try booting from the floppy again

- if that doesn't work, go back into the startup sequence and change both 'Automatic Power On Startup Sequence' & 'Error Startup Sequence' to Disabled then save / exit from the BIOS and try booting from the floppy again

Let us know if either changes things. Also, as a matter of interest, how are you powering on the system - does it start as soon as you switch on the PSU, or do you have a on / off button connected to the front panel connector (the white one between the secondary IDE & floppy headers)

Start_Seq.jpg

Thanks for the help. Looks like it’ll be awhile. The ide cable I bought broke. The bit connected to the motherboard actually snapped off. Seems to have been cheap so I ordered from a different seller. Will update when the new part comes in… When it comes to the power the two buttons on the front are just a simple power switch and a reset button.

Reply 13 of 17, by Xray1281

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The error just means that for some reason the device seen at the end of your boot sequence is the on-board network adapter ( htt […]
Show full quote

Start_Seq.jpg

Finally got the new cable in and was able to set it up. Tried what you had and it still didn’t work. Idk why it’s acting this way. Could it be because I have both a 5.25 and a 3.5 plugged in? Either way I took photos of everything. I reset to the default bios settings and then put it back to what you had. I just took a photo of everything because I’m so lost on what I need to do to get this thing running…

Attachments

Last edited by Xray1281 on 2022-02-27, 22:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 17, by Xray1281

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Xray1281 wrote on 2022-02-27, 22:56:
Show full quote

Start_Seq.jpg

Finally got the new cable in and was able to set it up. Tried what you had and it still didn’t work. Idk why it’s acting this way. Could it be because I have both a 5.25 and a 3.5 plugged in? Either way I took photos of everything. I reset to the default bios settings and then put it back to what you had.

Attachments

Reply 15 of 17, by Xray1281

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Xray1281 wrote on 2022-02-27, 22:57:
Show full quote

Start_Seq.jpg

Finally got the new cable in and was able to set it up. Tried what you had and it still didn’t work. Idk why it’s acting this way. Could it be because I have both a 5.25 and a 3.5 plugged in? Either way I took photos of everything. I reset to the default bios settings and then put it back to what you had.

Attachments

Reply 16 of 17, by Xray1281

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Xray1281 wrote on 2022-02-27, 22:58:
Xray1281 wrote on 2022-02-27, 22:57:

Attachments

Reply 17 of 17, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finally got the new cable in and was able to set it up. Tried what you had and it still didn’t work. Idk why it’s acting this way. Could it be because I have both a 5.25 and a 3.5 plugged in? Either way I took photos of everything. I reset to the default bios settings and then put it back to what you had. I just took a photo of everything because I’m so lost on what I need to do to get this thing running…

Not sure what else to suggest at this point - the board interface only supports one physical floppy drive (3.5") but I did check on mine with both 3.5" & 5.25" connected anyway and it made no difference as my board still boots correctly.

Guess the best option now is to try and complete the BIOS update and see if that helps - I misremembered re running the update from a hard disk, as although the file I linked earlier will only create a floppy boot disk you can then copy the files from there onto a hard disk and run the update from there so somehow you need to -

- create a bootable DOS hard disk
- copy all the files from the floppy onto the hard disk
- connect the hard disk to your board and make it the only available boot option
- run the 'Flash2.exe' app on the hard disk and follow the various on-screen prompts