VOGONS

First post, by clb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,

just a random question: I wonder if there are any known ways to get new keys for the XT PC keyboard locks in the chassis? Talking about e.g. these:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/477803841700094119/

See also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0zZqHOZq7M for background.

Or maybe new key+lock combos? (although that might be much more difficult, since the lock build would need to match)

I know this is quite a stretch, but curious whether there might be any sources out there to produce new keys after the fact..

This might also be a sign that maybe my restoration project is going a tad too far 😁

Reply 1 of 6, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Afaik that's just some tubular pin tumbler lock.
The keys were usually interchangeable between PCs als long as they had the right diameter so you should find what you're looking for at a hardware store.

Reply 2 of 6, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

they're usually very, very simple. And, most of them seem to be pretty much the same.

Doornkaat is right and if that doesn't work, think out of the box: Remove the Keylock from the box and replace it with a new one that came with keys.
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32811760147.html

That might even be the cheapes way to get some key without removing the lock.

I like jumpers.

Reply 3 of 6, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also had a case with such a lock, not for the keyboard lock but for physically locking the case, and I ended up ordering a new lock+key on AliExpress, the only place I could find something like that. I had to transfer the 'blade' from the old lock to the new assembly, which took a bit of filing to make it fit.

Reply 4 of 6, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A large HP server came to me without keys, however on disassembly I found two keys (and a driver disk) taped to the exterior of one of the SCSI drive cages.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 5 of 6, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Many of them are "one key fits all" or have a very small selection of keys... A computer club I went to in the 90s had a small keyring with a dozen on, and said they haven't found anything they can't unlock with them. There is also a technique where you can jam a pen barrel into the lock and rotate it. Though mess that up and you'll be picking broken plastic out of it for weeks if you wanted to keep it original.

Anyway, high security it is not, prevents opportunistic rather than targeted entry, can usually be replaced at a hardware store.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 6 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When I was a teen in 1992, I used the pin of my watch bracelet latch with great success and ease .

My parents weren't happy, but soon gave up trying to limit my computer access anyway.