VOGONS

First post, by Regressed93

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, so I have been working on this part list for over two months now bouncing the gpu, cpu, motherboard and ram around trying desperately to piece together a truly "High End Windows 98 Gaming Pc" to scratch my retro gaming itch and to provide me with endless hours of Nostalgia filled joy, and I must say even for the 90's, one was truly spoiled for choice.

I would like to clarify what I am defining by "High End" as it can become unclear as to exactly what I am in pursuit of.

So when I say "High End", I mean the absoloute best of the best of the best, the hardware that only the rich of the time could afford, for example , if the 386 was the affordable version of the 486(I know it's the sucessor, I'm trying to make my point) then the 486 is a high end cpu, you get the point.

OH, and I'm looking to keep period apprropriate, seeing as Windows 98's Extended Support ended in 2006, I said to myself "I shall not choose any parts beyond 2006, I desire to keep the authenticity of this build in check"

Anyways, down below is the part list, I just copied it from my Google Docs Document and is formatted in a way that makes finding the part easy for me(Prices are from Ebay listings largely and are in AUD), also for clarity I will explain my reason for choosing each part.

High-End Windows 95/98 Gaming Machine

CPU/Cooler/Motherboard Combo: Asus P4P8T REV 1.02 Socket 478 Motherboard With Intel Pentium 3.00 GHz Cpu - $85.05

>Where to begin, It goes without saying when it comes to games More GHz IS better so naturally I gravitated towards that 3GHz, I wanted to include a Dual Core CPU but many sites and threads say Windows 98 CANNOT use more than one core andsome sites and threads say Hyperthreded cpus can actually harm Windows 98's performance, I would like further context on these two matters so I can understand better.

Memory: 1GB Kit (2x512MB) Kingston DDR1 RAM PC3200U 400MHz CL3 Kvr400x64c3ak2/1g - $17.47

>Correct me if I am wrong but isnt Windows 98 a 32-Bit Operating System, which means it SHOULD be able to handle up to 4gb or Memory?

>Anyways, Many threads and sites say while Windows 98 can RUN with more memory, out of the box it will only handle 1gb so I chose the fastest 1gb DDR1 Kit I could find.

Operating System and Core Programs Drive: Samsung 60GB 5400rpm IDE, ATA, PATA Internal Hard Disk Drives - $8.67

>My inner modern PC Builder Instincts were figting so hard when choosing this, I know for a solid fact that PATA/IDE is far slower than SATA, and even in the HDD space 5400rpm is slow compared to 7500rpm, but this is where my lack of knowledge in Old-School PC Hard Drives really shows.

Video Games Drive: Samsung HM121HC 2.5 120 GB /5400RPM/8M/IDE-PATA Hard Drive For laptop HDD - $26.99

>I like having my games all installed for convenience so I doubled up on the boot drives Storage.

Video Card: Creative Geforce4 TI 4600 128MB AGP - $512.48

>I DESPERATELY wanted to put a 3DFX Voodoo 5 in this, I wanted a system powered with 3DFX, but sadly even 3DFX's best was no match for Nvidia's best, so naturally I chosen Nvidia's best.

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster 16 PCI CT5807 Sound Card - $50.00

>Sound Blaster 16, Iconic, Notorious, And I simply HAD TO HAVE IT in this build.

Power Supply: Corsair TX850M 850W 80 Plus Gold 850W ATX Black - $254.48

>I'm still tryna find a time period appropriate PSU, this is moreso placeholding.

Case: NEW TECHMEDIA AT PENTIUM BAREBONE TOWER SYSTEM 1.44, MB I/O PORTS KB USB MOUSE - $319.50

>Three words, Big Beige Case, nuff said.

Optical Drive: Genuine ASUS SATA CD DVD±RW IDE Rewriteable Optical Drive DRW-20141LT - $39.90

>Optical Drives have been and shall continue to be relevant so long as there is media on disks, when EVERYTHING on ALL physical media is available digitally, then I will annex an optical drive.

>Sorry, I am a big time advocate for Optical drives so naturally I go into Optical Drive defence mode.

>But in all seriousness, you don't build a Windows 98 Gaming PC without one because back then, you actually needed one.

Operating System: Brand new genuine Windows 98 Second Edition Operating System CD-ROM and key - $145.00

>Can't have a High End Windows 98 Gaming PC without the Windows 98 SE Operating System now can I?

Zip Drive: Iomega Zip 100 drive ATAPI IDE - tested and working - $99.99

>Pointless drive I added because, Why the hell not?

5.25” Floppy Drive: Floppy Disk Drive 5 1/4 inch Chinon FZ-506 1.2 Mb - $119.00

>Even more Pointless drive added because why the hell not?

Total(Without Postage): $1,678.53
Total Postage: $557.51
Total(With Postage): $2,236.04

So yeah, Clearly I have an obsession with Filling all the expansion slots denoted by the 5.25" and Zip drives, and yeah it's clear my knowledge in retro hardware is VERY limited, BUT I am nothing if not eager to learn more on a subject I am interested in, provided someone is willing to educate me on the subject matter.

So I would like to get some second thoughts, alternative opinions, reccomendations, etc, also If your reccomending to me, can you PLEASE explain the reccomendation to me so I can better understand, it would mean alot to me, I am hoping that by the time Mid 2023 comes along I will have this part list refined so I can jump in and go on a shopping spree, buy the parts and when they arrive, embark on my personal journey to build my High End Windows 98 Gaming PC, I just hope my patience holds out.

Reply 1 of 55, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows 98 extended support lasted until 2006, but it'll be hard to find hardware with actual driver support past 2004. The third party support for W98 was dropped very fast after mainstream support ended.

For CPU, if you'd want to go all out, you could get a 3.4GHz Pentium 4 (you can turn of HT in BIOS), but I'd suggest considering AMD Athlon XP or Athlon 64. Clock-2-clock they were faster.

For graphics card, you can go as high as X800 XT (AGP), as far as I know, that's the fastest with W98 support. Though you lose some legacy features. Or you could go for the FX59xx series to have those legacy support.

Hard drive: why not just get a big one over two smaller?

Sound card: CT5807 but why? You do know that it has nothing to do with the ISA Sound Blaster 16, right? You shoot yourself in the foot with this one. It's a rebranded Ensoniq AudioPCI

Edit:

Correct me if I am wrong but isnt Windows 98 a 32-Bit Operating System, which means it SHOULD be able to handle up to 4gb or Memory?

You are technically right, but it's more complicated in practice. You can address 4GB memory on 32bit, !!!BUT!!! with PAE you can go above that, a lot of linux distros and some Windows Server versions support that. At the same time, 1GB or more RAM is let's say above the sweet spot for W98, though there are unofficial patches.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 2 of 55, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Beware of Creative marketing... the PCI "Sound Blaster 16" has absolutely nothing to do with the ISA card of the same name, it's essentially a rebranded Ensoniq AudioPCI card with ES137x chip (or later Creative re-labeling thereof). It's not a bad card, but basically it's a low-end Sound Blaster clone with Creative sticker slapped on. The added value of the ISA SB16 is in DOS, not Windows, anyway. In Windows it's just DA and the extra features are positional audio stuff like A3D and EAX, which is only very minimally (EAX 1.0) supported. If you're aiming for Windows 98, a Creative Sound Blaster Live (preferably 5.1 or Audigy(2)) would be a far better choice, with full EAX 2.0 and A3D 1.0 support.

Slightly odd you're gonig for a SATA optical drive (which won't benefit in any way from the faster interface) but choosing a slug of an IDE HDD for OS. At the very least go for a 7200rpm drive with decent cache. Look for say a WD800 if you want period-correct but still decent performance.

That aside, the amount of money you're intending to spend on the kind of system you regularly find dumped on the roadside is - in my opinion - excessive. Even if you don't see those nearby, you can do much better than this. Ideally, find a complete system on Craigslist that ticks a number of boxes (i875 motherboard and or a couple of floppy drives, for example) for peanuts, then just add the missing bits. Look in places like vcfed.org and amibay.com for much better prices. I could easily put together an equivalent system and ship it to you from Europe for half the amount you are considering paying here - and generally stuff is more expensive over here 😮 (no, this isn't a real offer, no time for that - but I'm serious it would be easily possible and leave me with a LOT of beer money to boot).

Reply 4 of 55, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But, to indulge you,

CPU/Cooler/Motherboard Combo: Asus P4P8T REV 1.02 Socket 478 Motherboard With Intel Pentium 3.00 GHz Cpu - $85.05
- Isn't that a micro-ATX? Only photo I could find. Think the ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe would be the full blown product. Make sure there's "deluxe" in the name. 😉

Memory: 1GB Kit (2x512MB) Kingston DDR1 RAM PC3200U 400MHz CL3 Kvr400x64c3ak2/1g - $17.47
- Back in 2002, "CL2" was a big issue for DDR RAM, if you were going to spend some extra money.

>Correct me if I am wrong but isnt Windows 98 a 32-Bit Operating System, which means it SHOULD be able to handle up to 4gb or Memory?
- If the board eats 4 GB, Win XP-32 will use 3.5 of those. AFAIK, Win 98 really supports only 512 MB.

Operating System and Core Programs Drive: Samsung 60GB 5400rpm IDE, ATA, PATA Internal Hard Disk Drives - $8.67
Video Games Drive: Samsung HM121HC 2.5 120 GB /5400RPM/8M/IDE-PATA Hard Drive For laptop HDD - $26.99
- I think there was S-ATA around in 2005 and in any case, if you want high end, "SCSI" will have to be in the name.
- There were P-ATA drives over 100 GB around and high end ones were at least 7.200 RPM.

- Dude, does that thing come with a custom cooler made of solid gold, or what is the trick? 4600 have become rare but they start at 50 € in Ebay auctions, going up to 100, and starting below that as BIN.

- As a random Stranger mentioned: There's a reason people mess around with slightly older Motherboards that include ISA slots. Think for early to mid 2000s it's an CL audigy with all the bells and whistles but DOS games will be a pain.

- Are there espresso machines for PCI or what are you going to do with 850 Watts?
- Couldn't really hurt, but the fancy 80 plus rating doesn't apply to 10 % average load. 😉

>I'm still tryna find a time period appropriate PSU, this is moreso placeholding.
- Get a double fan Enermax then, those were expensive enough.

Case: NEW TECHMEDIA AT PENTIUM BAREBONE TOWER SYSTEM 1.44, MB I/O PORTS KB USB MOUSE - $319.50
- If I'm finding the right ebay listing, thats's an entire Socket 7 System with keyboard. Also, it's AT. That Asus board is ATX.
- Random suggestion, consider an In-Win q500 full tower, it will also double as a road block in case Russians invade.

- Full agreement on the optical drive, can't do without. If you want period correct, get one that advertises its max speed on the lid, since noise, for lack of a better word, is good.

Operating System: Brand new genuine Windows 98 Second Edition Operating System CD-ROM and key - $145.00

- To quote the prophet Vincent: "Jules, you give that fuckin' nimrod 145 dollars, and I'll shoot him on general principle."

- 5 1/4 floppy - I get the sentiment, but out of time on anything past a 386.

OK, to be honest, I don't quite understand the whole setup as a matter of nostalgia. Win XP appeared in 2002 and many even messed around with win 2000 before that. So, stilistically, Win98 belongs just there - late 90s.
There's the driver issue and the simple fact that any application that really needs the latter, high end hardware will cause all kinds of trouble win win 98.

And, in general: Don't mean to rain on your parade, but "the best of the best" is subject to interpretation and gaming PCs at any cost were still very much mainstream, consumer tech. So, if you'd want the real deal, you're dealing with x86 tech that was only affordable for rather exclusive, demanding professional use like high end CAD, etc.
With these parts, the sky was the limit but you'd have to find them.
And even below that, there always were parts utterly out of reach for mere mortals back then, like the early Tyan dual Socket 7 motherboards - you can find them today, they're not valued that high, there simply aren't that many around. So, if anything, consider that build a work in progress until you find yet a more exclusive part - sounds fun as well, don't you agree?

I like jumpers.

Reply 5 of 55, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-03-02, 09:27:
But, to indulge you, […]
Show full quote

But, to indulge you,

- Isn't that a micro-ATX? Only photo I could find. Think the ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe would be the full blown product. Make sure there's "deluxe" in the name. 😉

- Back in 2002, "CL2" was a big issue for DDR RAM, if you were going to spend some extra money.

- If the board eats 4 GB, Win XP-32 will use 3.5 of those. AFAIK, Win 98 really supports only 512 MB.

- I think there was S-ATA around in 2005 and in any case, if you want high end, "SCSI" will have to be in the name.
- There were P-ATA drives over 100 GB around and high end ones were at least 7.200 RPM.

- Dude, does that thing come with a custom cooler made of solid gold, or what is the trick? 4600 have become rare but they start at 50 € in Ebay auctions, going up to 100, and starting below that as BIN.

- As a random Stranger mentioned: There's a reason people mess around with slightly older Motherboards that include ISA slots. Think for early to mid 2000s it's an CL audigy with all the bells and whistles but DOS games will be a pain.

- Are there espresso machines for PCI or what are you going to do with 850 Watts?
- Couldn't really hurt, but the fancy 80 plus rating doesn't apply to 10 % average load. 😉

- If I'm finding the right ebay listing, thats's an entire Socket 7 System with keyboard. Also, it's AT. That Asus board is ATX.
- Random suggestion, consider an In-Win q500 full tower, it will also double as a road block in case Russians invade.

- Full agreement on the optical drive, can't do without. If you want period correct, get one that advertises its max speed on the lid, since noise, for lack of a better word, is good.

- To quote the prophet Vincent: "Jules, you give that fuckin' nimrod 145 dollars, and I'll shoot him on general principle."

OK, to be honest, I don't quite understand the whole setup as a matter of nostalgia. Win XP appeared in 2002 and many even messed around with win 2000 before that. So, stilistically, Win98 belongs just there - late 90s.
There's the driver issue and the simple fact that any application that really needs the latter, high end hardware will cause all kinds of trouble win win 98.

And, in general: Don't mean to rain on your parade, but "the best of the best" is subject to interpretation and gaming PCs at any cost were still very much mainstream, consumer tech. So, if you'd want the real deal, you're dealing with x86 tech that was only affordable for rather exclusive, demanding professional use like high end CAD, etc.
And even below that, there always were parts utterly out of reach for mere mortals back then, like the early Tyan dual Socket 7 motherboards - you can find them today, they're not valued that high, there simply aren't that many around. So, if anything, consider that build a work in progress until you find yet a more exclusive part - sounds fun as well, don't you agree?

Ti 4600 are stupidly expensive now, I have been after one for a while and only the broken ones sell for 100 usd. Good working ones are worth upwards of 250.

Reply 6 of 55, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I liked having them back then up until my Pentium III class daily driver. Didn't see much action, but had some friends stuck with severely outdated rigs and this was a way to trade games. Though today there are more convenient ways to transfer data.

To fill the drive bay there are all kinds of front panes.

For 3.5" I prefer memory card readers. They are much cheaper and more useful than Zip drives, though finding them beige might be an issue.
For 5.24" there are fan controllers, Creative front panels and other similar devices.

CRD-501D-2.jpg
500643a.jpg 40907.jpg 11-997-022-02.jpg 6193_2.jpg

Last edited by RandomStranger on 2022-03-02, 10:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 55, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-03-02, 10:04:
I liked having them back then up until my Pentium III class daily driver. Didn't see much action, but had some friends stuck wit […]
Show full quote

I liked having them back then up until my Pentium III class daily driver. Didn't see much action, but had some friends stuck with severely outdated rigs and this was a way to trade games. Though today there are more convenient ways to transfer data.

For 3.5" I prefer memory card readers. They are much cheaper and more useful than Zip drives, though finding them beige might be an issue.
For 5.24" there are fan controllers, Creative front panels and other similar devices.

CRD-501D-2.jpg
500643a.jpg 40907.jpg 11-997-022-02.jpg

Why not do both?

I built my new daily driver Ryzen system into a mid 00's Antec case that came with one of these card reader + floppy drives:

cardflop.gif
Filename
cardflop.gif
File size
18.44 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Agree with the Creative front panel bay - if you want iconic high-end status, a 'Platinum' version of one of the SBLives or Audigy with front panel stuff is a great show-off.

Reply 8 of 55, by Regressed93

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

But, to indulge you,

Oh So it is, WHOOPS.

I already have an issue with DDR5-6400 ram having a CAS Latency of 38, in my eyes thats far too high, a CL of 1 is 20x better, but I digress.

Oh..................wonderful.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2022-03-02, 19:56. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 9 of 55, by Regressed93

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2022-03-02, 08:40:
Would this be perfect: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/275162622487?hash … bIAAOSwQ9BgP1tm […]
Show full quote

Beware of Creative marketing... the PCI "Sound Blaster 16" has absolutely nothing to do with the ISA card of the same name, it's essentially a rebranded Ensoniq AudioPCI card with ES137x chip (or later Creative re-labeling thereof). It's not a bad card, but basically it's a low-end Sound Blaster clone with Creative sticker slapped on. The added value of the ISA SB16 is in DOS, not Windows, anyway. In Windows it's just DA and the extra features are positional audio stuff like A3D and EAX, which is only very minimally (EAX 1.0) supported. If you're aiming for Windows 98, a Creative Sound Blaster Live (preferably 5.1 or Audigy(2)) would be a far better choice, with full EAX 2.0 and A3D 1.0 support.

Would this be perfect: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/275162622487?hash … bIAAOSwQ9BgP1tm

Slightly odd you're going for a SATA optical drive (which won't benefit in any way from the faster interface) but choosing a slug of an IDE HDD for OS.

Would it be better to have a sata hdd and a ide optical drive?

Last edited by Stiletto on 2022-03-02, 19:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 55, by Regressed93

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-03-02, 10:04:
I liked having them back then up until my Pentium III class daily driver. Didn't see much action, but had some friends stuck wit […]
Show full quote

CRD-501D-2.jpg
500643a.jpg 40907.jpg 11-997-022-02.jpg 6193_2.jpg

I like that front panel with all da blinky lights 🤪

Last edited by Stiletto on 2022-03-02, 19:58. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 13 of 55, by Regressed93

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-03-02, 10:26:
you used \ when you should have used / It happens.😉😅 […]
Show full quote
Regressed93 wrote on 2022-03-02, 10:23:

In my effort to quote replies, I have fucked up hardcore, whoops.

you used \
when you should have used /
It happens.😉😅

I bloody learned HTML5, I should have remembered that goddamnit, now I need Doom Guy to send me to hell for forgetting that.

Reply 14 of 55, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Regressed93 wrote on 2022-03-02, 10:28:
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-03-02, 10:26:
you used \ when you should have used / It happens.😉😅 […]
Show full quote
Regressed93 wrote on 2022-03-02, 10:23:

In my effort to quote replies, I have fucked up hardcore, whoops.

you used \
when you should have used /
It happens.😉😅

I bloody learned HTML5, I should have remembered that goddamnit, now I need Doom Guy to send me to hell for forgetting that.

Edit your posts and hide your shame! 😜

Reply 15 of 55, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Regressed93 wrote on 2022-03-02, 10:22:

Hang on, are you located in AU? That both moderates the prices in $ if they are AUD, not USD, and explains (in part) the dearth of other options. Pretty relevant to mention if that is the case 😮

That said, for AUD 2.2k (USD 1500), you can fly to Shenzhen, go to the huge 2nd hand computer warehouses there, pick your stuff, fly back, and probably have enough left for a very nice hotel and a really good night out.

As for the SBLive: yes, that beats an ES137x card easily for Win98, and is a pretty fair price, although 5.1 or Audigy (2) would be better and the Platinum version with front bay may be nicer.

Reply 16 of 55, by Regressed93

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Would this be better: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/275162622487?hash … BgP1tm#shpCntId

Slightly odd you're gonig for a SATA optical drive (which won't benefit in any way from the faster interface) but choosing a slug of an IDE HDD for OS.

Would a SATA HDD and Optical Drive IDE be a better choice?

At the very least go for a 7200rpm drive with decent cache. Look for say a WD800 if you want period-correct but still decent performance.

Would 80gb be enough?

Also when did 7,200rpm HDD's first come onto the market for consumers.

That aside, the amount of money you're intending to spend on the kind of system you regularly find dumped on the roadside is - in my opinion - excessive.

In the State of Queensland, dumping things on the the roadside is an illegal and fineable offense, but in other states, you can dump away with no consequenses, if you can haul it, you can have it.

Even if you don't see those nearby, you can do much better than this. Ideally, find a complete system on Craigslist that ticks a number of boxes (i875 motherboard and or a couple of floppy drives, for example) for peanuts, then just add the missing bits.

I checked Craigslist, no one in Australia selling a Windows 98 Computer.

Look in places like vcfed.org and amibay.com for much better prices.

I will, thanks

I could easily put together an equivalent system and ship it to you from Europe for half the amount you are considering paying here - and generally stuff is more expensive over here 😮 (no, this isn't a real offer, no time for that - but I'm serious it would be easily possible and leave me with a LOT of beer money to boot).

Then you are more thrifty than I am.

On a very unrelated note, at a Bar/Pub/Tavern here in Australia the average cost for one bottle of beer is $6AUD(Here in Australia, we call a bottle of beer a "Stubbie")

Last edited by Stiletto on 2022-03-02, 19:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17 of 55, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Regressed93 wrote on 2022-03-02, 10:46:

At the very least go for a 7200rpm drive with decent cache. Look for say a WD800 if you want period-correct but still decent performance.

Would 80gb be enough?

Depends on how many games do you want to install, but most likely yes. Might be tight if you keep a lot of CD images (pirated games) on your hard drive. I have a 60GB drive in my W98 box partitioned to 40:20GB. The smaller part for drivers, the contents of the W98 install disk and installers for some software I consider essential. Though I could offload most of it to a network share. I have 30 games installed and there is around 23GB free space on the larger partition.

List of games

Baldur's Gate 2 (retail)
Blood (noCD; pirate)
Colin McRae Rally 2.0 (retail)
Deus Ex GOTY (retail)
Diablo II (retail)
Duke Nukem 3D (noCD; pirate)
Fallout (retail)
Fallout 2 (retail)
FIFA 2002 (retail)
Forsaken (retail)
Gorky17 (retail)
Icewind Dale (retail)
Imperium Galactica 2 (retail)
International Rally Championship (retail)
Jagged Alliance 2 (retail)
MDK (retail)
Medal of Honor Allied Assault (retail)
Prince of Persia 3D (retail)
Quake (noCD; pirate)
Quake II (noCD; pirate)
S.W.I.N.E. (noCD, free full version)
Screamer 4x4 (retail)
Soul Reaver (retail)
Starcraft - Blood War (retail)
Thief: The Dark Project (retail)
Tomb Raider (retail)
Tomb Raider 2 (retail)
Unreal (retail)
Wizardry 8 (retail)
Worms Armageddon (retail)

As for 7200RPM drives, if you aren't bothered by SATA optical drives and Northwood/Prescott Pentium 4, then early enough.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2022-03-02, 20:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18 of 55, by Regressed93

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

But, to indulge you,

Oh, it is a Micro-ATX, Whoopsie.

I have a problem with cas latency period, for instance DDR5-6400 cl38, that is far to big a cas latency, DDR5-6400 cl1, THAT is 100x better, but I digress.

How limiting can 98 get?(Rhetorical Question, don't answer that)

Is'nt SCSI not as "plug and play" as PATA/IDE is?

Is it wierd that I did at one point look up 10,000rpm hdds and found the selection dissapointing?

- Dude, does that thing come with a custom cooler made of solid gold, or what is the trick?

X'D Oh My God, that had me laughing very loudly, and the answer is No.

4600 have become rare but they start at 50 € in Ebay auctions, going up to 100, and starting below that as BIN.

When I was putting together the part list, that was the cheapest 4600, it is possible there are cheaper ones on eBay now, and if there are I'll certainly update the gpu on my part list but honestly how long do you expect the listing to say "In Stock" or "Available" or something in that ballpark.

How Painful?

Dude, this got me laughing as well, your a comedian, wish I had something equally funny to say.

I mean 80+ Titanium has an efficiency rating for 10%, though titanium power supplies came in around the time of Vista, I believe.

Can you point me towards a few models?

Oh, Whoopsie again.

So, first off, again that statement had me laughing, however I would like to point out a few things:

1. China is more likely to invade Australia than Russia is, for Russia, taking on Australia would cripple the country badly, not to mention it would be a bad idea period.

2. I understand you were having a bit of a laugh, but given the current situation at the time of replying, given the situation in Ukraine, that joke was in bad taste, but I understand you were joking, and I am amused.

Ahh that distinctive whiiiring and buzzing sound, *Sniffles* I miss those Sounds so much, 😢, I need a moment.

When making the parts list, it was the cheapest Windows 98 SE listing on eBay, it is possible a cheaper listing exists now, but the part list is like a month old.

No denying that, but my mentality was "Why not have a Zip Drive and 5 1/4" Floppy Drive in my High End Windows 98 SE Gaming PC, They may not get used much, but c'mon, why the hell not"

I actually have a part list for a High End Windows XP Gaming PC, and is effectively only $200AUD more expensive, I'm constantly chaging the gpu between a 780 Ti and a 980, the 980 is much newer than the 780 Ti, but many say the 780 Ti was better bang for the buch, during Windows XP's Days, so there's a little insight there.

Humour Me(As in tell me more)

Ahh, the 90's when pc's doing intense workloads would pale in comparison to todays powerhouses.

I can't disagree.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2022-03-02, 19:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19 of 55, by Regressed93

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-03-02, 11:03:
Depends on how many games do you want to install, but most likely yes. Might be tight if you keep a lot of CD images (pirated ga […]
Show full quote
Regressed93 wrote on 2022-03-02, 10:46:

Would 80gb be enough?

Depends on how many games do you want to install, but most likely yes. Might be tight if you keep a lot of CD images (pirated games) on your hard drive. I have a 60GB drive in my W98 box partitioned to 40:20GB. The smaller part for drivers, the contents of the W98 install disk and installers for some software I consider essential. Though I could offload most of it to a network share. I have 30 games installed and there is around 23GB free space on the larger partition.

List of games

Baldur's Gate 2 (retail)
Blood (noCD; pirate)
Colin McRae Rally 2.0 (retail)
Deus Ex GOTY (retail)
Diablo II (retail)
Duke Nukem 3D (noCD; pirate)
Fallout (retail)
Fallout 2 (retail)
FIFA 2002 (retail)
Forsaken (retail)
Gorky17 (retail)
Icewind Dale (retail)
Imperium Galactica 2 (retail)
International Rally Championship (retail)
Jagged Alliance 2 (retail)
MDK (retail)
Medal of Honor Allied Assault (retail)
Prince of Persia 3D (retail)
Quake (noCD; pirate)
Quake II (noCD; pirate)
S.W.I.N.E. (noCD, free full version)
Screamer 4x4 (retail)
Soul Reaver (retail)
Starcraft - Blood War (retail)
Thief: The Dark Project (retail)
Tomb Raider (retail)
Tomb Raider 2 (retail)
Unreal (retail)
Wizardry 8 (retail)
Worms Armageddon (retail)

As for 7200RPM drives, if you aren't bothered by SATA optical drives and Northwood/Prescott Pentium 4, then early enough.

I am yet to make a list of all my Dos, 95,98 games.

Bit I will say this, I have ISO's of All Doom games up to Doom 3,
I have ISO's of All Quake games up to Enemy Ter.........Enemy Ter.........I cannot bring myself to mention that abomination of a Quake Game.
ISO's Of Duke Nukem 3D, plus all the add-ons and shovelware
ISO's of all the Doom and Quake Shovelware,

Hey I love ID Software, I got ISO's of 90% of their 90's games.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2022-03-02, 20:03. Edited 1 time in total.