VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey everyone, it's been quiet awhile since I've been around. Mods, please move this if it's in the wrong place. Not sure where to place a generic question like this with all the new subdivisions.

I recently refurbed my Toshiba 480CDT and am thinking of using it for some older less intensive games. It's got the active matrix screen so it's actually pretty responsive. I've got Win98 on it now. The OPL3-SAx sound is actually pretty damn nice for MIDI DOS games in a window, so I'm thinking of just using that for what games I can.

So, the question is, given this machine at 233mhz MMX, 64mb RAM, and a C&T 65555 (so no 3d hardware of any kind), what are some games that I could play on here and get decent quality out of? Later DOS or early enough Windows games are what I'm aiming for. I can plug in a mouse so that isn't an issue, but controllers or joysticks are out until I can find some kind of alternative or maybe just a USB one if I can get it to behave with the DOS games.

Edit: The screen is native at 800x600 and will postage stamp to the center any lower resolutions. Anything that runs at 640x480 or above with decent enough performance would be best to account for the LCD.

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 1 of 4, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Settlers, or Settlers II, The Patrician, Railroad Tycoon, Sim City ..

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 4, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nethack. I'd ignore the attractive mhz, hit the power saving mode shortcut to get more time out of it. C&T W9X drivers are a performance bottleneck anyway. I'd also avoid the FPS genre and anything that would intensly tear that little nub.

Also since Wordle's a popular thing, you've got many DOS clones and a Win16 clone of that now, should you be seen in public with this 😀 not a bad laptop game.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 4, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Civilization II would be another great addition of games to run on that machine, Master Of Orion 1 and 2. Pinball Pro The Web. All of them would run smoothly on that machine.