VOGONS

Reply 21101 of 27170, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-03-03, 02:11:

A technical drawing of BitWrangler's good idea.

thoroghbred_ram.jpg

Essentially "RAMming" a dead horse instead of flogging it, AFAIU. 😉

Reply 21102 of 27170, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote on 2022-03-03, 02:18:
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-03-03, 02:11:

A technical drawing of BitWrangler's good idea.

thoroghbred_ram.jpg

Essentially "RAMming" a dead horse instead of flogging it, AFAIU. 😉

Judging from that picture that horse is into far more than just ramming ..never thought horses would have that kind of kink 🤣

Reply 21103 of 27170, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh sure, jockey my words around and saddle them with meanings unintended, I no mare meant to imply a racehorse than any other animal with more than three legs sired by a palomino. 😁

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 21105 of 27170, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could also use them for carding out glass fibres after you've retted depopulated PCBs in solvent or acid.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 21106 of 27170, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I stabbed my foot on an exposed pin header on a motherboard today. My tetanus shot is up to date but if it gets infected and I die, I want my tombstone to say: death my motherboard.

Last edited by Kahenraz on 2022-03-03, 11:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 21107 of 27170, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-03-03, 03:17:

Oh sure, jockey my words around and saddle them with meanings unintended, I no mare meant to imply a racehorse than any other animal with more than three legs sired by a palomino. 😁

U6xWtZJ.jpeg

This text is to satisfy the "no image reactions" rule. A justified rule, but there should be leeway for posts like bitwrangler's.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 21108 of 27170, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you expect to get away with "Lee"way there?? 😜

Reply 21109 of 27170, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I replaced the broken ram socket on my SB32 CT3600 today. No more zip ties! Sadly I couldn't find a metal clip one so I had to put a new-old-stock plastic clip one on. But at least all the clips are intact!

Reply 21110 of 27170, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

HP OfficeJet 8630 Pro AIO printhead gone bad after 10 years of trouble-free service. All troubleshooting, cleaning, factory resetting and so on failed over the past 24 hours. I could buy a refurbished printhead, but I might as well get a newer printer instead for the cost. Plus, I hate those darn ink cartridges. I going to try out a Canon G7020 AIO, which has a Megatank. I ordered it earlier today. I'm hoping I can ditch ink cartridges once and for all. I'll put the 8630 away in a closet and one day I might get it working, at least for the scanner/copier functions.

Reply 21111 of 27170, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just found a '97 edition of Broderbund Print Shop, so ima need a BJC-230 or a Deskjet 540C or something that works on Win 9x so I can cheap out on birthday cards and crap this year.

Reply 21112 of 27170, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Meatball wrote on 2022-03-04, 03:16:

HP OfficeJet 8630 Pro AIO printhead gone bad after 10 years of trouble-free service. All troubleshooting, cleaning, factory resetting and so on failed over the past 24 hours. I could buy a refurbished printhead, but I might as well get a newer printer instead for the cost. Plus, I hate those darn ink cartridges. I going to try out a Canon G7020 AIO, which has a Megatank. I ordered it earlier today. I'm hoping I can ditch ink cartridges once and for all. I'll put the 8630 away in a closet and one day I might get it working, at least for the scanner/copier functions.

I bought a laser printer and have never had a problem with ink ever again. Each toner cartridge can print thousands of pages and, since it's a powder, never dries out.

Inkjet is superior when it comes to photo printing. But if you're not printing photos, then a laser printer is always be a better choice.

BitWrangler wrote on 2022-03-04, 04:10:

I just found a '97 edition of Broderbund Print Shop, so ima need a BJC-230 or a Deskjet 540C or something that works on Win 9x so I can cheap out on birthday cards and crap this year.

I would really like to collect a couple of era-correct printers, but I know that I would have absolutely nowhere to put them. I also worry about maintenance and the difficulty of acquiring ink/toner. I think vintage print software like Print Shop et all would be a very fun activity.

I do keep one vintage printer but it's for an 8-bit Timex Sinclair. It's also a thermal printer so sourcing paper is easy and there is no tink or toner to replace.

IMG_20220303_235854_resize_45.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220303_235854_resize_45.jpg
File size
595.15 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 21113 of 27170, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is it thermal? If it's like the Sinclair ones it's metallic coated and the single "dot" pin sparks to it and burns off the coating making a black spot.

Reply 21116 of 27170, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Installed DOS 6.22 on a 64MB CF card using my main laptop running Windows 11, VirtualBox, and it had a few hiccups (kept crashing when I would mount disk 2, disk 3, and the supplement disk and after I got all of those set in there to easily swap the disk images, I redid the file, cleared the CF card's partition in Windows, and got the OS to install).

It'll go into my Portable 286 to see if it'll boot up this time after I get off the clock.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 21117 of 27170, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have been running driver tests on NVIDIA cards for days and it's becoming a real slog, but I still need more data.

Please check your driver collections and other sources if you can. I am looking for more drivers within a very specific window.

Thank you.

Are there any NVIDIA drivers between 21.83 and 23.11?

Reply 21118 of 27170, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Masaru wrote on 2022-03-04, 05:55:

Browsed Ebay, saw the absolutely ridiculous prices of retro hardware and wondered if people actually pay such high prices for outdated stuff.

- Some Do
- Some Don't

Then there's some like me who park out waiting for the prices to come down and nab it like Mad Max just saw the Night Rider whizz by.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 21119 of 27170, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sort by price. Even if it's listed as more expensive, you can often get a good deal by making offers.

For example, I recently won an offer of $40 for a GeForce 2 Ultra that was listed at $129. I may have been able to get it for less, but I think offers are more like a game of poker than negotiating actual value. If you offer too little they may reject you outright and treat future offers bitterly, or take subsequent offers as a sign of interest and end up costing you more.