VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 43000 of 52770, by WJG6260

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-03-04, 16:48:
I'm borrowing the photos of the Synergy, mine are somewhere in the heap (thanks, Fabian): http://www.amoretro.de/wp-content/uplo […]
Show full quote
WJG6260 wrote on 2022-03-04, 16:10:

I’d be interested to see what their Gloria Synergy cards were like; the build quality of their cards is quite nice and the Permedia2 is supposedly decent, right? That AGP Pro GF256 sounds quite cool! Can’t say I’ve seen anything like that before. I have one of those giant Gloria L cards (it came with a PPRO board I bought a long while ago) and it’s got an early Glint chip, the Glint Delta, and an S3 Virge for good measure. It’s also got like 16 or 20MB of total RAM. Absolute beast of a card.

I'm borrowing the photos of the Synergy, mine are somewhere in the heap (thanks, Fabian):
http://www.amoretro.de/wp-content/uploads/201 … aphics_card.jpg
There was a "ViVo" edition with a bunch of S-video and composite connectors.
The civilian version was called the Winner 2000 office:
http://www.amoretro.de/wp-content/uploads/els … a_2_8mb_pci.jpg

The quadro cards, they're not exoctic either and I didn't exactly buy them today, but did not post them here before.
Note the "pro" uses up two slots and comes with a 30 mm high cooler.

Thanks for the pics! The Synergy is a great looking card. The mention of a ViVo one certainly brings back some memories...

That pro variant is pretty impressive. It reminds me of the 3DLabs Wildcat. AGP Pro is neat, but it feels like there's so few cards supporting it and it's just not worth the performance gain. This thing must've been a beast in its time.

-Live Long and Prosper-

Feel free to check out my YouTube and Twitter!

Reply 43001 of 52770, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WJG6260 wrote on 2022-03-04, 18:16:

That pro variant is pretty impressive. It reminds me of the 3DLabs Wildcat. AGP Pro is neat, but it feels like there's so few cards supporting it and it's just not worth the performance gain. This thing must've been a beast in its time.

Well, the double slot backplate and the BA heatsink make it rather bulky. They added that "Silicon Image" chip to provide the DVI port, I assume. And of course, it brings the full 64 MB of RAM.
But compared to high end CAD gear from the mid 90s, I'd think it was rather pedestrian and moderately priced - the huge production numbers of the gaming market doing their magic.

AFAIK, the AGP pro will make no difference in performance - the extra pins provide extra electrical power, which was a good idea from gf256 upwards.
But soon they figured out that a molex connector on the card will do that much easier and there's no point in having a motherboard provide that kind of juice. So it never caught on.
But there are quite a few boards around for AGP pro, it just rarely gets noticed. You can spot the yellow sticker right away, usally.
The Asus CUSL-2 socket 370 and A7... Socket A come to mind.

I like jumpers.

Reply 43002 of 52770, by kohellus@gmail.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Got this today. A CT2230. It was in a pentium-90 PC from the era magic and not so cool but there was the sound blaster with an interesting chip in it.

Attachments

Reply 43003 of 52770, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today's recent pickup is interesting insofar as I bought it MISB (with tearing in the factory wrap with plans to open), but things went downhill just about as soon as I took it out of the shipping box.

I noticed tape around the ATI box flap where one would open the box to extract the inner liner, and it was obvious due to discoloration and dust the tape was there for a while. I figured something was up, so I decided to photograph my opening of the ATI box. I carefully moved some of the wrap aside and, of course, tape was stuck to the actual flap itself. Once I took the inner box out and opened...

Surprise! No video card present... but for some strange reason, all product documentation and discs where there (I presume for adding some weight, but they could have done the same with junk paper). The seller quickly refunded me but didn't want me to ship it back.

I actually owned this card already as it was included as a "throwaway" part of a motherboard purchase in October of 2019, but the reason I bought this MISB version was to replace the card. Note the paint around the heatsink and other average wear. But now, this lonely old card has been reunited with a box and all the fixin's. All's well that ends well.

Attachments

• 128GL.JPG
    Filename
    128GL.JPG
    File size
    1.7 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 128GL2.JPG
    Filename
    128GL2.JPG
    File size
    1.73 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 43004 of 52770, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought a NOS Compaq Portable 286 keyboard, Mitsumi CD-ROM controller (for the LU005S drive since I cannot find the controller that came with the drive for some reason), a single drive 40-pin IDE cable, and a CD-ROM audio cable.

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
284.71 KiB
Views
File license
s-l1600 (1).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (1).jpg
File size
179.61 KiB
Views
File license
s-l1600 (2).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (2).jpg
File size
183.63 KiB
Views
File license
s-l1600 (3).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (3).jpg
File size
12.51 KiB
Views
File license

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 43005 of 52770, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Meatball wrote on 2022-03-04, 20:53:
Today's recent pickup is interesting insofar as I bought it MISB (with tearing in the factory wrap with plans to open), but thin […]
Show full quote

Today's recent pickup is interesting insofar as I bought it MISB (with tearing in the factory wrap with plans to open), but things went downhill just about as soon as I took it out of the shipping box.

I noticed tape around the ATI box flap where one would open the box to extract the inner liner, and it was obvious due to discoloration and dust the tape was there for a while. I figured something was up, so I decided to photograph my opening of the ATI box. I carefully moved some of the wrap aside and, of course, tape was stuck to the actual flap itself. Once I took the inner box out and opened...

Surprise! No video card present... but for some strange reason, all product documentation and discs where there (I presume for adding some weight, but they could have done the same with junk paper). The seller quickly refunded me but didn't want me to ship it back.

I actually owned this card already as it was included as a "throwaway" part of a motherboard purchase in October of 2019, but the reason I bought this MISB version was to replace the card. Note the paint around the heatsink and other average wear. But now, this lonely old card has been reunited with a box and all the fixin's. All's well that ends well.

Ah sux... thrift stores got me like that twice... ~10 years apart, bagged up "NIB" boxes, felt heavy enough, but get it home and it's just paperwork and disks, derp. One was a soundblaster box, one was a NIC. ... oh and a recent one was a Boca high end looking serial card box (High speed UARTs) and it had generic take out serial card in it.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 43006 of 52770, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WJG6260 wrote on 2022-03-04, 05:13:

Also, I probably need to update the bios on this thing as it does not like Athlon XPs very much. A 1700+ Palomino would run at 1100MHz, but not at 1466MHz; apparently it should be able to do the latter, so I’ll try a re-flash and see…

C4D5E2C0-B41A-4970-A7DE-8C3CB0FF42B3.jpeg

Some of those caps look a bit dodgy.
That can absolutely cause instabilities at higher frequencies.

Reply 43007 of 52770, by WJG6260

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bofh.fromhell wrote on 2022-03-04, 22:39:
WJG6260 wrote on 2022-03-04, 05:13:

Also, I probably need to update the bios on this thing as it does not like Athlon XPs very much. A 1700+ Palomino would run at 1100MHz, but not at 1466MHz; apparently it should be able to do the latter, so I’ll try a re-flash and see…

C4D5E2C0-B41A-4970-A7DE-8C3CB0FF42B3.jpeg

Some of those caps look a bit dodgy.
That can absolutely cause instabilities at higher frequencies.

Definitely. I’m probably gonna do a partial recap on this thing at some point. I will say it’s impressive it’s running as-is, since the caps are already lower quality ones. That PCChips quality, I suppose 🤣

-Live Long and Prosper-

Feel free to check out my YouTube and Twitter!

Reply 43008 of 52770, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not really "retro" in itself but "for" retro I guess.

I received these little dudes the other day. The build quality of these boards is superb. Really looking forward to trying these out, unfortunately I won't have time at the moment. Probably have to wait until Easter...

PXL_20220304_231828798.jpg
Filename
PXL_20220304_231828798.jpg
File size
350.65 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 43009 of 52770, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pan069 wrote on 2022-03-04, 23:28:

I received these little dudes the other day. The build quality of these boards is superb. Really looking forward to trying these out, unfortunately I won't have time at the moment. Probably have to wait until Easter...

These are really cool. I've been wanting these for some time, but haven't been able to justify the cost. I already have a couple of original SIMMCONN adapters. The issue is that they are much more awkward than the new flat ones and can sometimes hit adjacent cards since they stick out much further.

Last edited by Kahenraz on 2022-03-04, 23:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 43010 of 52770, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On the contrary. That's the exact definition of "retro" when it comes to computers (when original memory expansions from creative certainly are NOT "retro")...

Very nice. And they have correct colors too!

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 43011 of 52770, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote on 2022-03-04, 23:41:

On the contrary. That's the exact definition of "retro" when it comes to computers (when original memory expansions from creative certainly are NOT "retro")...

Very nice. And they have correct colors too!

You are correct. As a community we keep mixing up Vintage vs Retro. These are indeed as Retro as you can get! 😀

Reply 43012 of 52770, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-03-04, 23:35:

These are really cool. I've been wanting these for some time, but haven't been able to justify the cost. I already have a couple of original SIMMCONN adapters. The issue is that are much more awkward than the new flat ones and can sometimes hit adjacent cards since they stick out much further.

They are pretty pricey indeed and I had to think for a while before I could justify the purchase to myself. But then I lost a bid on a GUS classic and thought, fuck it... 😀

I have the SIMMCONN's as well (from Serdashop), but like you pointed out, even though they work, there is a "clunky" aspect to them.

Reply 43013 of 52770, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-03-04, 21:36:
Today's recent pickup is interesting insofar as I bought it MISB (with tearing in the factory wrap with plans to open), but thin […]
Show full quote

Ah sux... thrift stores got me like that twice... ~10 years apart, bagged up "NIB" boxes, felt heavy enough, but get it home and it's just paperwork and disks, derp. One was a soundblaster box, one was a NIC. ... oh and a recent one was a Boca high end looking serial card box (High speed UARTs) and it had generic take out serial card in it.

Depending on the model, you can sell the Sound Blaster box and stuff for $50+.

I got a SB 2.0 box and manuals, etc. at a thrift store a couple years ago. Then I sold the complete with matching serials SB 2.0 for a pretty penny... though of I had saved it for another year or so I probably could have gotten double or more of what I sold it for.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 43014 of 52770, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Show full quote

I've had a somewhat similar thing happen when I bought a second hand TUSL2-C and the board turned out to be defective, but the original box + manual it came with was a perfect fit for my other TUSL2-C boards 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 43015 of 52770, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-03-04, 21:36:
Show full quote

This is why I always open boxed items when I see them for sale in a thrift store.
At one time I found a boxed sound card which I wanted. It had a sticker on it saying it had been tested and was in working condition by the staff of the thrift shop but I was suspicious right away so I took the box to the spot where you need to place your items on a desk so the prices can get scanned but instead I proceded to open the package with an employee watching me. And it contained a damn ordinary PCI NIC! xD
No glorious sound card with yamaha sound chip or whatever it was I was interested in 😜

If I'd bought it and open it up at home, they could have said I was trying to scam them by replacing the item myself, but now with one of them watching me I gave the box back and left the shop without it.

You have to be careful with things like these. Even if it has a sticker with "tested, working" on it I won't believe it till I seen it functioning with my own eyes 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 43016 of 52770, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-03-04, 15:58:
OK, right, the chip I saw lacks two legs to be a YMF-262. Well, that one in the CT1747 is the minimum amount of OPL3 a SB16 shou […]
Show full quote
HanSolo wrote on 2022-03-04, 13:29:

No, only the integrated one in the CT1747

OK, right, the chip I saw lacks two legs to be a YMF-262.
Well, that one in the CT1747 is the minimum amount of OPL3 a SB16 should have.
It somehow still seems to be a discussion whether the integrated one was as good as the original. No idea, I liked it on my ct2770.

From my understanding the CT1747 contains a licensed YMF262 core so it is true OPL3. But on every card the sound goes through additional filters/amp-circuits which means that all cards can sound slightly differently.
And personally I don't even consider CQM as bad as some people make it 😀 So 'true OPL' is nice to have but it's not the only selection criterion for me.

Reply 43017 of 52770, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2022-03-05, 10:28:

You have to be careful with things like these. Even if it has a sticker with "tested, working" on it I won't believe it till I seen it functioning with my own eyes 😜

I factor in that problem by basically rarely buying at "in working order" price or maybe half of that at the most. So I factor in at least a blanket 50 % failure rate and spare me all the assessement and disappointment.
(last time I broke that rule I got that Escom pizzabox that won't boot. But it turned out to come with a 100 €+ mechanical keyboard...)

The only box I ever got was on purpose, along the actual shopping - a mint condition Matrox Millennium 4MB, for a buck.
But then the fuckup selling it turned out to be too stupid to pack. Uninsulated, he put it in the same box as that rancor, or something. Totally unnecessary bruises upon arrival.

Still, totally worth it. Who owns a legal copy of Nascar Racing?!?

I like jumpers.

Reply 43018 of 52770, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not really a huge thing but bought two brand new Cak II - 38 socket 370 coolers, one will be heading to a Tually 1.4s and the other a XP 3200+ 462 box, I think these Cak coolers should work really well on the 3200+ since its unlocked and I would like to see how high I can get it, I think 2.4 is the average for air so Im not expecting it to pull crazy numbers.

Not sure about overclocking the Tually, but should it hit 1.6ghz with one of these coolers ?

Reply 43019 of 52770, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tualatin overclocking is often about fighting the board as much as the chip.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.