VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i'm at a total loss on how to run the attached .cmd script. trying to execute it directly just returns an illegal command error. i'm not overly familiar with dos and the search keywords associated with this activity are so common as to return an avalanche of useless generic search results. i'm sure this is gonna be obvious to someone who had to do this back in the day. i'm posting this in the dosbox forum in case there's something in the script that's incompatible with the built-in dosbox command.com interpreter.

please help.

Attachments

• Filename
    _INSTALL.CMD.txt
    File size
    8.89 KiB
    Downloads
    49 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It looks like someone designed the batch file to run on Windows for a GOG version of Ultima VII and hardcoded the installation directory path for the game.
"Patches" for DOS games should be designed for DOS not for install from Windows and also for the original version of the game too, IMO
You can either ask the author to fix the script, fix it yourself or manually perform the actions the script does.
Confusingly the script states "Do you want to play the original DOSBox version", which to me implies an unaltered version of Ultima 7 (well GOG version anyone) which should mean the script shouldn't have to do anything but does appear to modify the install so 🤷

Really you should be playing Ultima with Exult and if so and you want to use this "patch" then just manually do what the script does which appears to be copying files into the mods folder.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 5, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

the GOG version of the game runs in dosbox--no choice. ultima 7 uses a voodoo memory manager which MUST run in real mode dos. thanks, i'm sure exult if fine, but my aim at this point is not playing the game, but rather trying to learn something, ostensibly really simple, that i didn't know how to do on the dos command line.

the script won't even run regardless if the installation path is correct or wrong. "illegal command" error is all i get...nothing else echoed to the screen. the file extension is cmd, not bat. i assume that has some significance?

Reply 3 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well the script is designed for Windows command prompt not DOS but mostly could be used in DOS if someone wanted to.
.cmd and .bat can both be used in a NT based OS to run batch files.
So you need to figure out if you want to run the script in Windows or DOS (with or without LFN) and then account for that.
There is nothing preventing one script from running in both if designed to do so.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 5, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

aha, that was the piece of information i was missing. i did not realize that the .cmd extension is an NT cmd script. the last time i had windows installed on any of my PCs was over 10 years ago so i was oblivious trying to run the script in dosbox. i spun up a windows xp virtual machine and the script ran immediately. everything in the .cmd script looks similar to what i currently have in my own msdos 6.22 autoexec.bat file so i assumed it was for dos (i even tried the msdos 6.22 command.com with 'ver set' in dosbox trying to get the script to run). thanks for your help.

hey, i haven't seen those u7 specific patches before. will have to check them out.