VOGONS

Reply 460 of 631, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's not mentioned as a supported card in the notes but I thought I'd ask - can UNISOUND initialize ESS ES1898F cards?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 461 of 631, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote on 2022-02-16, 13:24:

It's not mentioned as a supported card in the notes but I thought I'd ask - can UNISOUND initialize ESS ES1898F cards?

Since no one replied I tried it for science and yes it is detected as an ES1869F and initialized properly. Apparently this chipset is 100% pin and function compatible with the ES1869. Even the card it is on is labeled MF-1869 😀

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 462 of 631, by holaplaneta

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys, if you could shine some light on what my issue could be, I would appreciate it. I read all the posts but was not sure if there was a solution.

I have a Win98SE PC and I have an Orpheus (with Crystal MPU disabled via flash Eeprom and PCMIDI) and an AWE64 (CT4390), when I boot the computer I start the cards with UNISOUND thru AUTOEXEC.BAT in C: and then it loads into Windows 98 without issues. I found out that if I do not put these lines in the Autoexec.bat, Windows freezes while booting, most probably a resource conflict caused by the shared default PnP settings of each card. So, here, C1 is Orpheus and C2 is the AWE64.

(AUTOEXEC.BAT in C:)

• SET BLASTER=A240 I7 D3 H0 F388 P0 T4
    C:\UNISOUND\UNISOUND.COM /C1 /V85 /VM0 /VC0 /VL0 /VF85
    SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 F0 E620 J0 P0 T6
    C:\UNISOUND\UNISOUND.COM /C2 /V85 /VC40 /VM0 /VL0 /VW85 /VT00 /VB00

However, when I use Phil´s MS-DOS Mode Super Easy .PIF file I ran into issues. (This .PIF file has the same Unisound parameters I posted above, in its Autoexec.bat tab when you click on its Properties) It seems that the .PIF file calls Dosstart.bat which has inside the command C:\WINDOWS\CTCM, which ends up overwriting the Autoexec.bat parameters inside the .PIF (not the one in C: that the PC uses when booting) and makes both cards have the same resources values. 😖

This of course creates conflicts, so in order to use the cards I have to EDIT AUTOEXEC.BAT (the one in the .PIF), remove the call to C:\Windows\Dosstart.bat and modify the values like I initially had them (see above) so they do not get into conflicts. Then save, exit and run Autoexec.bat again… This way I can finally use the cards correctly in MS-DOS mode.

But if I reset or turn off the computer and Win98 loads again, CTCM comes back to life and messes it up again by making both cards look something like this in the Autoexec.bat in the .PIF.

(AUTOEXEC.BAT in C:)

• SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5
    SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5

In Win98 my resources in Device Manager match correctly what I have set initially with Unisound. My suspicion is that Dosstart.bat with its C:\WINDOWS\CTCM is messing up my MS-DOS booting sequence. I have tried to delete this line in Dosstart.bat, and even deleting the .bat file itself, and it always reappears with each Win boot. So, I found this post from Phil and I remembered that I did install the following AWE64 drivers update.
Re: Phil's MS-DOS Mode Tutorial: Working Memory, Mouse, CD-ROM and Sound Blaster 16/32/64 in Windows 9x MS-DOS Mode
“SBW9XUP.EXE doesn't contain CTCM but the Installation CD does and puts it in C:\Windows. It also looks after MS-DOS mode, putting an entry to run CTCM.EXE into DOSSTART.BAT.”

Does anybody know how I can stop my PC from overwriting with C:\WINDOWS\CTCM the work that Unisound did? It´s messing it up and I think I don´t need CTCM for MS-DOS anymore, right? I have tried putting Autoexec.bat and Phil's .PIF file in Read-Only mode, so it can't get modified, with no success. Unisound can take care of what CTCM originally did. I just need to uninstall C:\WINDOWS\CTCM or whatever is overwriting both Unisound card parameters with the same resources on the MS-DOS boot from Windows.

Thank you so much for your guidance.

Reply 463 of 631, by Pickle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You should be able to edit the pif within windows. Go to the right tab (i think its program..). You will see a texbox section for each file. You could either REM the dosstart line or delete it completely. Your situation sounds really strange cause i think ive even edited the autoexec.bat/config.sys in dos mode and going back to win98 the pif tabs showed it changed.

Reply 464 of 631, by holaplaneta

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you Pickle, you are correct, UNISOUND is an amazing tool!!

I did change those settings you mention within the .PIF file and already deleted the call to dosstart.bat. That's what I meant to say with:
However, when I use Phil´s MS-DOS Mode Super Easy .PIF file I ran into issues. (This .PIF file has the same Unisound parameters I posted above, in its Autoexec.bat tab when you click on its Properties). Sorry if I was not very clear.

I can't find any way to make the system avoid creating a Dosstart.bat with the C:\WINDOWS\CTCM line. I have to manually delete it every time I reboot or turn on the computer and Windows loads, either the contents of the file or the file itself. I even put it in Read-Only and it is the same. It usually ends up with these:
(DOSSTART.BAT contents)
C:\WINDOWS\CTCM
C:\WINDOWS\CWDINIT.EXE /A

It goes like this:
1) PC boots and loads both PnP cards with Unisound with correct resources, If I do not have these lines in C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT, the system hangs while starting Win98SE. (Probably because conflict resources by default PnP cards settings).
2) When I run Phil's Easy MS-DOS .PIF file, (even when deleting C:\windows\dosstart.bat) first it runs the Unisound parameters from its OWN Autoexec.bat (not the one in C:, but the one within the .PIF file) but for some reason ends up being overwritten with these parameters (here is where I suspect CTCM has some foul play).
What I have saved on the Autoexec.bat was:
@ECHO OFF
SET BLASTER=A240 I7 D3 H0 F388 P0 T4

But once the MS-DOS .PIF starts it ends up being:
@ECHO OFF
SET BLASTER =220 I5 D1 H5 E620 T6

As you can see, both cards end up with the exact same parameters. It is very weird.

I can make it work if I EDIT again the Autoexec.bat and change the parameters to what I originally need, Save, exit the Edit and run Autoexec.bat again on MS-DOS… but it is very annoying that I have to do this every time I go into MS-DOS mode with Phil's great .PIF file in order to setup the sound cards properly...

Thank you for all your help.

Last edited by holaplaneta on 2022-02-19, 22:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 465 of 631, by Pickle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yeah i understand it as 2 separate sets of autoexe.bat/config.sys so when the pif is run it switches out the windows 98 set of files and when you go back to windows mode the files are switched again. I dont think you can only have one set unless you made the contents the same.
So if your in windows mode you shouldnt edit the current autoexec.bat expecting it has anything to do with the pif autoexec.bat. But if you boot using the pif it should switch out the autoexec (clear sign is that the memory config menu comes up). Ive always then edited the autoexec.bat from dos and the settings carried back over to the pif when i switch back to win98 mode.
Sorry i misunderstand but it sounds like you in win98 mode editing the autoexec.bat directly expecting its the one being used once you start the pif shortcut.

In your case you should be able to remove the dosstart call from both autoexec.bat and then it shouldnt be an issue anymore.

My approach is let the creative drivers stay the windows set of files and then use unisound for the pif only and remove the dosstart line from it.

Reply 466 of 631, by holaplaneta

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Pickle, thank you for your answer.

I have edited the Autoexec.bat on each (Windows and the .PIF) from their "respective platforms" (win and dos), and the Autoexec.bat within the .PIF keeps getting changed with the parameters I put above (the Autoexec.bat in C:\ that the PC uses to start is fine, it does not get changed). It is the Autoexec.bat in the .PIF that gets messy once I run it.

I have removed the dosstart.bat line on the .PIF (from within DOS with EDIT AUTOEXEC.BAT) as well:
IF EXIST C:\WINDOWS\DOSSTART.BAT CALL C:\WINDOWS\DOSSTART.BAT

I also removed from C:\ the Autoexec.bat and Cofig.sys files. Windows 98 starts correctly, no resources conflicts in Device Manager. I made sure C:\Windows\Dosstart.bat is empty. I then checked that the Autoexec.bat inside the .PIF is correct:
SET BLASTER=A240 I7 D3 H0 F388 P0 T4

Then I run the .PIF and... same thing happens, it gets overwritten with other parameters and Unisound in the .PIF's Autoexec.bat ends up with:

No signs of CTCM or CWDINIT.EXE and this keeps happening... right now I am just running an alternate autoexec.bat with the correct parameters to avoid editing the autoexec.bat (in the .PIF file) every time I get into MS-DOS mode.

Reply 467 of 631, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@JazeFox

Thanks for all your hard work on this!! It's really simplified my learning process about ISA PnP soundcards. Do you have a tip jar setup? or a Patreon?

I've got a SB32 CT3600 that I'm running with a AZTech Waverider 32 successfully to avoid the hanging note bug. Super intuitive to set up, declare the Blaster variables for the SB, call unisound, set blaster the AZTech, call unisound, and then set blaster a hybrid list that sends what I want to each card. 11/10 fantastic.

I've got an Ensoniq Soundscape Vivo 90 that I can dump if you're ever feeling like getting that added. I don't have an Opus though. I would imagine most people would use it in a similar manner to the GUS -- disabling everything except the wavetable/MPU-401 support. Not sure if that makes it more or less work, though!

Cheers!

Reply 468 of 631, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was yesterday trying through quite a big pile of ISA sound cards, and i found one, that i was hoping it would work with UNISOUND: Aztech AZT2316-S.
Unfortunately it isn't detected by UNISOUND and the original drivers are really-really clunky. (But i was able to confirm the cards are in working order with original drivers, thankfully)

@JazeFox, if you are willing, can i provide you with anything that would help bringing support for this card? I have 2 cards, one with IDE connector soldered, other without. Otherwise same.

NB! Aztech AZT2320 worked beautifully! Not only that, around 15 different ISA cards i have, worked beautifully! Absolutely love it!

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 469 of 631, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AZT2316 is not PnP, only Aztech's own custom jumperless conf method.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 470 of 631, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiido wrote on 2022-03-07, 20:38:

Yet there are other non-PnP cards that UNISOUND can help out.

So if @JazeFox is willing, i'll test the sh*t out of my cards and give as much data as necessary to hack it in. 😀

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 471 of 631, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aspiringnobody wrote on 2022-02-27, 20:32:
@JazeFox […]
Show full quote

@JazeFox

Thanks for all your hard work on this!! It's really simplified my learning process about ISA PnP soundcards. Do you have a tip jar setup? or a Patreon?

I've got a SB32 CT3600 that I'm running with a AZTech Waverider 32 successfully to avoid the hanging note bug. Super intuitive to set up, declare the Blaster variables for the SB, call unisound, set blaster the AZTech, call unisound, and then set blaster a hybrid list that sends what I want to each card. 11/10 fantastic.

I've got an Ensoniq Soundscape Vivo 90 that I can dump if you're ever feeling like getting that added. I don't have an Opus though. I would imagine most people would use it in a similar manner to the GUS -- disabling everything except the wavetable/MPU-401 support. Not sure if that makes it more or less work, though!

Cheers!

I ordered an NEC harmony with the opus chipset + modem.

The card had two bad ttl chips on it so they are sending me a replacement and I get to keep the bad one. I’ve ordered the replacement ttl chips and assuming that’s all that’s wrong I’m interested in donating it to @JazeFox so they can have it to use if they’re interested in adding it to unisound.

If you’re interested send me a DM and I’ll get it in the mail.

Reply 472 of 631, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GigAHerZ wrote on 2022-03-07, 21:16:
Tiido wrote on 2022-03-07, 20:38:

Yet there are other non-PnP cards that UNISOUND can help out.

So if @JazeFox is willing, i'll test the sh*t out of my cards and give as much data as necessary to hack it in. 😀

I thought the Aztech cards remembered their settings once programmed anyway?? They should store it in eeprom after the first time configuration afaik.

Reply 473 of 631, by eightbit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have just tested Unisound with my CT2770 on my 486 build and it works GREAT! And, saved me quite a bit of conventional memory too 😀

Thank you!

I do have a question or perhaps maybe a feature request. I am using a Roland Sound Canvas model SC-50 with this computer and I have encountered a weird bug where launching a game (say Doom, ROTT, etc) that uses the MPU-401 the game would start with no music and running REALLY slow. This is not a unisound or soundblaster driver thing. It happens with either. Then I found this sbmpu fix:

https://dos.retropc.se/sound/c_labs/sb16/00_index.htm

Adding this to my startup fixes this problem entirely. I am not sure exactly what it is doing behind the scenes however. I think it might be unassigning the IRQ from MPU-401?

I am wondering if you know what this is doing exactly and if whatever it is initializing to provide the MPU-401 "fix" can be added to Unisound? I have used the U switch in the set blaster environment to change the IRQ (i.e.: U10, U11) but it makes no difference. Launching any game that uses general midi when using the SC-50 will result in no music and slow loading unless the computer is "blessed" with the sbmpu401 /e to enable it on startup.

If this tool really is unassigning the IRQ from the MPU-401 and that is what is the "fix", would it be possible to add a switch to unassign the IRQ from it in Unisound so that I no longer have to use the sbmpu fix tool?

Reply 474 of 631, by eightbit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
eightbit wrote on 2022-03-13, 20:54:

If this tool really is unassigning the IRQ from the MPU-401 and that is what is the "fix", would it be possible to add a switch to unassign the IRQ from it in Unisound so that I no longer have to use the sbmpu fix tool?

Too late to edit my post but I just caught in the documentation that setting blaster environment with a U0 switch will free the MPU-401 of the IRQ. I'll give that a try.

EDIT: and that did not work either. Now I am not sure what sbmpu is doing to "fix" the problem and I don't know how Unisound can provide that fix. Oh well.

Reply 475 of 631, by Paul_V

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys, I humbly request some help on the ES1869 soundcard with UNISOUND:

After setting it up, I noticed that there's a difference in sound between ES1868 and ES1869, as if there's a high pass filter on the latter. I've checked different bands\models
In ES1869 datasheet there's a mention about "3D Spatializer" which I believe is responsible for the quality loss.
The problem is - I don't know how to set or check the register on a card in DOS (pls see the attachment for datasheet and examples)

Can something like this be requested as a feature to UNISOUND?
Or maybe the's another tool I can check or set these registers with to confirm my suspicions?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Filename
    1869.mp3
    File size
    86.12 KiB
    Downloads
    54 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    1868.mp3
    File size
    86.12 KiB
    Downloads
    50 downloads
    File license
  • 3dsp.PNG
    Filename
    3dsp.PNG
    File size
    49.45 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 476 of 631, by javispedro1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Paul_V wrote on 2022-03-18, 16:03:

After setting it up, I noticed that there's a difference in sound between ES1868 and ES1869, as if there's a high pass filter on the latter. I've checked different bands\models
In ES1869 datasheet there's a mention about "3D Spatializer" which I believe is responsible for the quality loss.
The problem is - I don't know how to set or check the register on a card in DOS (pls see the attachment for datasheet and examples)

I believe the win9x drivers should expose the 3D sound setting, if I remember correctly inside the "Advanced" button in Volume Control. You could use that to check if the toggle does affect the filtering.

By the way, if my reading of the datasheet is correct (I don't have this hardware), these registers are basically exposed as if they were SBPro mixer registers. This means they are trivial to modify from DOS, you don't need any extra software whatsoever.

Assuming that the base address is 220 (i.e. BLASTER says A220)
224 is used to select the mixer register
225 is used to read/write from the mixer register

You can use MS's DEBUG to write to these. Just type: (remove my comments)

debug                      To start DEBUG
o 224 50 This selects mixer register 0x50, i.e. the one with 3-D enable
i 225 This will print the current value of the selected mixer register, so if it returns 0x8 or something with bit 3 enabled you know 3-D effect is enabled
o 225 0 This writes 0 to the selected mixer register so it should disable 3-D effect if enabled.
q To exit DEBUG

Reply 477 of 631, by Paul_V

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
javispedro1 wrote on 2022-03-19, 16:35:

You can use MS's DEBUG to write to these. Just type: (remove my comments)

Thank you, javispedro1, for your comprehensive response!
I now have full understanding of what I've been doing wrong with DEBUG.

UPD:
Spatializer register defaults to 0x00, so it's not enabled.
Also, i've found the culprit: ES1868 cards use electrolytic coupling caps, while ES1869 use ceramic (probably cheap ones).
This makes huge impact on frequency range.
Thank again, sorry for misleading post.

Reply 478 of 631, by azumanga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@JazeFox: That you *so much* for this amazing tool.
It works great on both ISA PnP cards currently in my possession: Terratec TT1816-S V1.0 (Analog Devices AD1816-based) and IBM S-16FP/L (Crystal CS4236B-based).
😀

Reply 479 of 631, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@JazeFox: Is, or would it be possible, to use the Orpheus' /XOFi & /XOFe option with any CS423x card?
Reason being: I added an OPL to a card with a CS4237b and would like to switch between the internal and external FM without going through reprogramming the EEPROM... In the datasheet it seems to be possible by setting a register, but in my first attempts trying the above options on this non-Orpheus card it didn't seem to do anything.

Attachments