File license
    Public domain

Reply 941 of 1104, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VirtuaIceMan wrote on 2022-03-06, 22:42:

The 128mb looks a bit more pricey than 32mb. Having spent £160 on M3D I didn't want to spend too much on the "2D" card, but having to keep swapping drivers and faffing about with the MX440 might become irritating...

You're probably looking at the Rage Fury MAXX. This is a special dual-GPU card that is more of a novelty than anything functional. See the video from Phil's Computer Lab for more information.

Any Rage 128 Pro or Ultra will be fine.

Reply 942 of 1104, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Rage 128 Pro seems a step below the Rage Fury Pro?

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 943 of 1104, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Rage 128 Pro is the Rage Fury Pro. There is also the Rage 128 Ultra which is the OEM variant.

Unfortunately, the clock speeds are all over the place and it's impossible to know what you're going to get just by looking at the card.

Last edited by Kahenraz on 2022-03-08, 03:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 944 of 1104, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks. Video game card naming has always been all over the place 😁

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 947 of 1104, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can see there's a good bunch of ATi Rage Pro/Ultra models out there, both Pro and Pro Ultra, which seem identical in specs?

Over on eBay, are there any preferred types? For instance I've seen a Connect3D red board both with TV (seems to be less common) and without TV. Then there are the boards that look like part is missing and others like this.

Does it generally make no difference which I was to go for? Would added TV port make anything more or less complicated, driver-wise?

Reply 948 of 1104, by JustJulião

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, there are a lot of versions, even when it's supposed to be exactly the same. Here is mine.

Attachments

Reply 949 of 1104, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah so you've got TV out too (I assume it's TV out not in)

Reply 950 of 1104, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VirtuaIceMan wrote on 2022-03-08, 09:41:

Does it generally make no difference which I was to go for? Would added TV port make anything more or less complicated, driver-wise?

I happen to like these cards a lot and after having bought a couple I can tell you that it's a crap shoot. The important thing to know is that a lot of the cards out there are Dell OEM cards and you may need to use a slightly different driver.

An interesting Rage 128 Pro which needs very late drivers

Here is also some additional information:

How can I view the core and memory clocks on my ATI Rage 128?

Re: No display output on this ATI Rage 128. Is it a Mac product or just defective?

ATI Rage 128 Pro vs Ultra?

ATI Rage 128 Pro - Better than expected!

YouTube videos:

https://youtu.be/NxTF85QUjzk

https://youtu.be/M-kZJGz56nw

https://youtu.be/ya7EnDgU3H4

Reply 951 of 1104, by JustJulião

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-03-08, 12:31:
I happen to like these cards a lot and after having bought a couple I can tell you that it's a crap shoot. The important thing t […]
Show full quote
VirtuaIceMan wrote on 2022-03-08, 09:41:

I happen to like these cards a lot and after having bought a couple I can tell you that it's a crap shoot. The important thing to know is that a lot of the cards out there are Dell OEM cards and you may need to use a slightly different driver.

An interesting Rage 128 Pro which needs very late drivers

Here is also some additional information:

How can I view the core and memory clocks on my ATI Rage 128?

Re: No display output on this ATI Rage 128. Is it a Mac product or just defective?

ATI Rage 128 Pro vs Ultra?

ATI Rage 128 Pro - Better than expected!

YouTube videos:

https://youtu.be/NxTF85QUjzk

https://youtu.be/M-kZJGz56nw

https://youtu.be/ya7EnDgU3H4

Very nice cards indeed, and very good chip to pair a PCX2 with !
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15RaQR … #gid=1509925175

Reply 952 of 1104, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My thoughts exactly. It's definitively a card that is good enough for most DOS and early Windows applications, has decent early 3D performance that doesn't suck, and they are cheap as chips. Definitely an underrated card and it's one of my favorites.

Another minor thing to note is that the GPU doesn't get very hot son it's also a great choice if you plan to cram into someplace with poor airflow or sandwiched next to a PCX2 or Voodoo 1/2.

Reply 953 of 1104, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well it's mostly good news; I got an Xpert 2000 128 Rage Pro card.

I tried the WME_R128_4_13_7192 drivers, available from https://www.philscomputerlab.com/ati-9x-driver-archive.html and Vogonsdrivers, but both said "Severe" then said not compatible. Eventually this Vogonsdrivers set worked for me: http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1 … 9&menustate=6,1 they say they are:

Build: D6.40-CD19
Desktop: 4.13.2490
Driver: 4.13.7078

All the PowerVR games I threw at it worked! Hooray! So I thought I'd try Johnny Herbert's Grand Prix, (which worked on ATi 9200 but not on MX440). Even with PowerVR HAL enabled or disabled, the game shows lots of flickery blocks when you try to start a race, both in Hardware and DirectDraw modes, then DD is covered in garbage whilst D3D crashes to desktop.

There is a patch for the game, which I'll try tomorrow. Otherwise, are these drivers ok for ATi? Or any other set you can point me to? Note: DxDiag on DX7.0 works (as long as PowerVR HAL is disabled, otherwise lots of glitchy boxes over hardware accelerated test), but the AGP Support button is Not Available.

Last edited by VirtuaIceMan on 2022-03-11, 01:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 954 of 1104, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think PowerVR compatibility also varies depending on the motherboard and chipset, since it uses a very uncommon form of PCI bus mastering.

I can't tell from your question what you're asking. Which card is giving you trouble? The Rage 128 or the MX 440?

Reply 955 of 1104, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 128, even with PowerVR disabled in Device Manager. Like I say I'll try patch and try some other D3D games. Herbert has always been very crash happy.

Reply 956 of 1104, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay I tried the Herbert patch and now it won't start at all (crappy game!).

What I have discovered is that if I leave PowerVR HAL enabled in the PVR tab, the D3D image (this includes DxDiag, Herbert and Motorhead) will be corrupted with boxes of junk covering the screen. For DxDiag or Motorhead, disabling PowerVR HAL makes them work without the corruption.

Herbert is a special case; in software mode, with this ATi Xpert 2000 card, the game flickers in software mode between a corrupt screen and looking fine. If I pause I can control the speed of flicker by moving the mouse... what is going on?! Hardware mode just crashes outright. Both have a loading screen full of corruption, but some elements (track image) aren't affected. I even removed PowerVR card and it still does it, so not the fault of that.

I'm running DX7.0a at the mo.

The drivers I'm on, 4.13.7078 aren't the latest, but the much mentioned 4.13.7192 that I got from ATI (AMD) site say they need DX8 then give the same "Severe" pop-up before saying my card isn't compatible. Not sure what the latest drivers for the Xpert 2000 in particular might be?! Also: why doesn't DxDiag say AGP Support is available when it's an AGP card?

Reply 957 of 1104, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VirtuaIceMan wrote on 2022-03-11, 20:15:
Okay I tried the Herbert patch and now it won't start at all (crappy game!). […]
Show full quote

Okay I tried the Herbert patch and now it won't start at all (crappy game!).

What I have discovered is that if I leave PowerVR HAL enabled in the PVR tab, the D3D image (this includes DxDiag, Herbert and Motorhead) will be corrupted with boxes of junk covering the screen. For DxDiag or Motorhead, disabling PowerVR HAL makes them work without the corruption.

Herbert is a special case; in software mode, with this ATi Xpert 2000 card, the game flickers in software mode between a corrupt screen and looking fine. If I pause I can control the speed of flicker by moving the mouse... what is going on?! Hardware mode just crashes outright. Both have a loading screen full of corruption, but some elements (track image) aren't affected. I even removed PowerVR card and it still does it, so not the fault of that.

I'm running DX7.0a at the mo.

The drivers I'm on, 4.13.7078 aren't the latest, but the much mentioned 4.13.7192 that I got from ATI (AMD) site say they need DX8 then give the same "Severe" pop-up before saying my card isn't compatible. Not sure what the latest drivers for the Xpert 2000 in particular might be?! Also: why doesn't DxDiag say AGP Support is available when it's an AGP card?

If there isn't some other underlying issue, Dxdiag will state AGP support unavailable when the DX version isn't able to function to its full capabilities with the current drivers (which are probably designed for some other DX version). I had this last week, for example, with the ATI Rage Fury MAXX I was testing. Later drivers needed DX8, but I wasn't budging off of DX7 for that particular system. I uninstalled the newer drivers and loaded the drivers from the CD instead. AGP support was then available and everything worked great.

Reply 958 of 1104, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If anyone can point me to the official Xpert 2000 drivers that'd be cool 🤣

Reply 959 of 1104, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you are using a VIA chipset, make sure that you have installed the VIA 4-in-1 driver set, otherwise AGP cards can be unstable.

I did some extensive testing recently between DirectX 7.0a, 7.1, 8.1b, and 9.0c, and I found no discernable difference in performance. There may be compatibility differences, but I have never encountered any.

There were some outliers were 7.0a or 7.1 would be more stable across all versions in some tests but this was stability, not speed, and the problem in my case was caused by using the VIA drivers included with Windows. Installing the official 4-in-1 drivers made every version stable.