VOGONS

Huge number of K6-2E+/570ACZ CPUs for sale on eBay

Topic actions

Reply 200 of 218, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah thanks, I thought it might be something to do with EXIF tags but I assumed them stripped when anything was cropped/resized in EXIF unaware programs.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 201 of 218, by GRIFF

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-12-22, 02:58:
I have one but I’ve had so much trouble with my ss7 boards that I haven’t had the chance to play with it. Also I have a 3+ 550 s […]
Show full quote
Byrd wrote on 2021-12-22, 02:05:

To those who have bought these, any overclocking results?

I have one but I’ve had so much trouble with my ss7 boards that I haven’t had the chance to play with it. Also I have a 3+ 550 so not much motivation 🤣.

But chips like these in theory can hit 800mhz on ln2 the existing socket 7 overclocking records were done on 2+ 550s

(For the longest time 550 2+ cpus were more common than these 570s) or they probably would have used the 570s when this guy started selling these it changed the availability market for these chips in a huge way. Now they are the definite go to chip just under a k6-3+

There is at least one cpuz verification for 140mhz x6 multiplier floating around the net. But it was only stable enough to prove it before it crashed.

Edit: I just discovered that the p5a 1.04 can do 150mhz fsb using hidden settings. I can confirm that it won’t even post though at such settings haha but that’s 900mhz possible if you get it cold enough. Maybe submerge the board in ln2 or helium.🤷‍♂️

My result .https://hwbot.org/submission/4382063_griff_re … 5a_b_150.04_mhz

Reply 202 of 218, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
GRIFF wrote on 2022-03-06, 22:49:
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-12-22, 02:58:
I have one but I’ve had so much trouble with my ss7 boards that I haven’t had the chance to play with it. Also I have a 3+ 550 s […]
Show full quote
Byrd wrote on 2021-12-22, 02:05:

To those who have bought these, any overclocking results?

I have one but I’ve had so much trouble with my ss7 boards that I haven’t had the chance to play with it. Also I have a 3+ 550 so not much motivation 🤣.

But chips like these in theory can hit 800mhz on ln2 the existing socket 7 overclocking records were done on 2+ 550s

(For the longest time 550 2+ cpus were more common than these 570s) or they probably would have used the 570s when this guy started selling these it changed the availability market for these chips in a huge way. Now they are the definite go to chip just under a k6-3+

There is at least one cpuz verification for 140mhz x6 multiplier floating around the net. But it was only stable enough to prove it before it crashed.

Edit: I just discovered that the p5a 1.04 can do 150mhz fsb using hidden settings. I can confirm that it won’t even post though at such settings haha but that’s 900mhz possible if you get it cold enough. Maybe submerge the board in ln2 or helium.🤷‍♂️

My result .https://hwbot.org/submission/4382063_griff_re … 5a_b_150.04_mhz

Holy hanna! Unlock your 570 and do some benchmarks!

Is it stable at that bus speed?

What cooling? More Pics?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 203 of 218, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any fellow Germans here?!?

Question: Is there any cheaper way of delivery from the States?
And, listings like this one even predict $ 12 (56 %) in import tariffs - is that for real?

That amount of this CPU is truly shocking, I was happy to win a random K6-2+-450 for 13 €, two years ago.
Were they searching a federal storage facility, merely looking for the the ark of the covenant?
And got lucky?
Some shops in Hongkong keep unloading NOS Cyrix Fasmath 387s, but they're probably fake?

Almost no experience in internation trade. I got parts for a complete P1 system from a store in Palo Alto once, but I had my brother smuggle those in his suitcase. 😜

I like jumpers.

Reply 204 of 218, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-03-07, 07:42:

Question: Is there any cheaper way of delivery from the States?
And, listings like this one even predict $ 12 (56 %) in import tariffs - is that for real?

Na.
Hirsch and I ordered 9 of them together and paid around 25€ per piece (including tax and shipping).

Reply 205 of 218, by frudi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm guessing Germany is similar to Slovenia over here, meaning you get charged VAT on the total of what you paid for an imported parcel, including shipping costs. So $26 for the CPU, $14 and change for shipping, 19% VAT from those combined is almost $8. CPUs are probably exempt from duty, so at least there's that. But there will probably be an additional couple $ worth of fees for handling and processing.

Reply 206 of 218, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, and with the entire shipping/postal world now in semi-permanent Barely Coping mode, all international shipping is suffering under that yoke. With the real world effect of contracting our community's ability to source goods. Sometimes pricing previously-available opportunities out of our reach. It's all quite rational, and we can only adapt to suit.

Reply 207 of 218, by GRIFF

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-03-07, 00:35:

Holy hanna! Unlock your 570 and do some benchmarks!

Is it stable at that bus speed?

What cooling? More Pics?

Not stable but is direct boot on windows XP. perhaps with the new solid state capacitors and increased Vio it becomes stable. Air cooling, both motherboard and CPU. I have 3 types of cooling available: cascade phase change, single stage phase change and LN2. Unfortunately, I have little time. Now I look for the Photo.

Reply 208 of 218, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Going for the screenie is fun, but for anyone wanting to do more than that, I offer this observation*

As far as K6-IIIs go, on a Gold, Silver, Bronze range of stability standards, booting XP is a circle of box cardboard with "MEDUL" written on it in crayon, particularly for sub 2Ghz processors in general. For 2ghz plus it's high grade cardstock and medal is spelt correctly. Since while XP is regarded as quite highly stable for software, it tolerates a good deal of instability from hardware. 98 on the other hand isn't quite as stable as software and won't tolerate much instability. The difficulty is, there's a twilight zone in the middle between 20th century and faster 21st century CPU designs, where you can't absolutely say it's crashing because Win98 is crappy (And the hardware too fast, never designed to support etc) , or it's crashing because the hardware is crappy.. meaning poorly set up, poorly tweaked, pushed a little too far. Anyway, a couple of generations to the south of A64, I'd call ability to boot 98 a silver standard, and ability to boot XP about as basic as loading plain MSDOS. Therefore to prove stability for a range of tasks, one will have to loop prime95 and 3Dmark etc to really test it which are more gold standards.

*Basically to stop one chasing ones tail thinking booting XP is a big thing and proves something about ones CPU that it doesn't prove, and thereby keep one from fixing the stability problems one is in denial about.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 209 of 218, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

98 was a dog, 98 is still a dog and the years haven't made it any better to use, tho if you hit that miniscule sweet spot where it is rock solid then its actually not a bad little OS.

Hitting that spot if half the fun, staying there is the other half and happily nuking a 98 Install for XP is the ultimate park ride !

Edit - Thinking about it . .ME is actually more stable than 98, perhaps I should be using that over 98 where possible for systems not built for XP.

Reply 210 of 218, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-03-08, 20:52:

98 was a dog, 98 is still a dog and the years haven't made it any better to use, tho if you hit that miniscule sweet spot where it is rock solid then its actually not a bad little OS.

Hitting that spot if half the fun, staying there is the other half and happily nuking a 98 Install for XP is the ultimate park ride !

Edit - Thinking about it . .ME is actually more stable than 98, perhaps I should be using that over 98 where possible for systems not built for XP.

I’ve found the final iso of ME to be quite stable and usable. And less trouble than 98.

Apparently ME got a lot of bad press because it shipped with unstable hardware back in the day.

How many of you guys have unlocked your k6 2+ chips into 3+ chips now? Remember, we need reports in the unlock thread so we can try and find patterns for success rates of various chips.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 211 of 218, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yah, win98 itself isn't super stable but for hardware within it's support period, if it's crashing somewhere around every few hours to every few days, that's normal Win98 BS, if it's crashing more often, you need to fix something. XP is more like if it's crashing every several days to several weeks, that's normal XP BS, if it's crashing more often, you really really need to fix something.

Reply 212 of 218, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"Apparently ME got a lot of bad press because it shipped with unstable hardware back in the day."

I've done a few installs of ME and have irrecoverably nuked it (to the point of being unable to fix it and have to wipe and reinstall) by doing something as simple as swapping a video card. IMO its reputation is deserved.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 213 of 218, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-03-08, 21:29:

"Apparently ME got a lot of bad press because it shipped with unstable hardware back in the day."

I've done a few installs of ME and have irrecoverably nuked it (to the point of being unable to fix it and have to wipe and reinstall) by doing something as simple as swapping a video card. IMO its reputation is deserved.

To be fair 98se does that too . .same for 95, my guess is MS never got that part of the OS right till they ditched the 9x kernel for the NT one.

Reply 214 of 218, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-03-08, 22:29:

To be fair 98se does that too . .same for 95, my guess is MS never got that part of the OS right till they ditched the 9x kernel for the NT one.

I've been able to swap many video cards with Win98, most of the time trouble free, occasionally with some difficulty - I've never had it completely nuke the OS to where I had to format and start over.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 215 of 218, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-03-08, 22:51:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-03-08, 22:29:

I've been able to swap many video cards with Win98, most of the time trouble free, occasionally with some difficulty - I've never had it completely nuke the OS to where I had to format and start over.

I have, normally its more that changing the gpu starts a driver failure cascade, where removing the old drivers and installing new ones causes other drivers to fall over, USB used to do this too.

SE was better at handling drivers and remaining stable towards the end of its life.

Reply 216 of 218, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's probably something like jenga mode resource allocation, remove some blocks from the bottom and the whole thing gets wobbly. Best nuke ALL the drivers in safe mode and rebuild the pile instead of just snatching some out and watching it totter.

Reply 218 of 218, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't want to help this thread go off-topic too much, but perhaps it could help to (when wanting to swap from card A to card B) swap out card A for so0mething the OS has build-in drivers for, like an S3 Trio or Virge, remove graphics driver if it hasn't been removed already, and after having successfully swapped to the intermediate card, swap this card out for card B.

But tbh, it may be best to either not swap cards out or to reload the OS every single time from a backup or something. Win9x is definitely more fragile than the NT based OSs.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!