Topic actions

Reply 43100 of 52813, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-03-09, 03:58:
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-03-09, 02:04:

A decade ago I used to think "If the worst happens, at least I've got a couple hundred bucks worth of scrap in my basement." Now it's like "Holy freaking crap, there's thousands of bucks in my basement." Though if some ghost of BitWrangler's future had showed up and moaned "fill totes with vooooodoooooos" a few years ago I'd probably have told him to screw off I was tryna sleep. Annnnnd what have I done to sort all that crap out since I've been on here.... well not much, got re-enthused and added to it a bit 🤣

I missed the boat on cheap 3dfx hardware but I did manage to buy out a large lot of PowerVR PCX2 boards from a recycler some time ago. When these because valuable, maybe then I can trade one for a Voodoo 4 or 5. 😀

I have a Voodoo 1, Voodoo 2 (SLI), Banshee, and a PCI and AGP Voodoo 3 3000. But no Voodoo 4 or 5! I am so ashamed to call myself a collector.

Don't worry I dont have a Voodoo 5 or V3 3000, I have a special V3 2000 tho that can clock as high as a 3000, I also dont have a Voodoo Rush or Voodoo 1 but I dont really have a use for either of them. I do have 2 Voodoo 2 12mb, Banshee, Voodoo 3 and a Voodoo 4 but really only use the Voodoo 4 and Voodoo 3 on a regular basis.

If I had known 10 years ago just how expensive 3DFX cards would become I would have snapped up all the ones on eBay for cheap and flipped them now for .. more reasonable prices than I am seeing, I dont mind a tidy profit but extortion is wrong.

Last edited by TrashPanda on 2022-03-09, 05:00. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 43101 of 52813, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Somehow I don't think you know what the meaning of that word is (extortion).

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 43102 of 52813, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-03-09, 04:50:

Somehow I don't think you know what the meaning of that word is (extortion).

hmm you are correct its not the right word.

Definition of extortion
1: the act or practice of extorting especially money or other property
especially : the offense committed by an official engaging in such practice
2: something extorted
especially : a gross overcharge

But it can be used in such a case since its clearly fits point number 2 unless you think 1100 AUD for a Voodoo 5 is fine.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/extortion

Reply 43103 of 52813, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, nobody is forcing anybody to buy at those prices.

It isn't something that is essential to life.

Not like how the creep that became the CEO of the company that makes the EPI pens raised the price exponentially for no other purpose than to extort money from people with risk of anaphylactic shock.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 43104 of 52813, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-03-09, 05:03:

Well, nobody is forcing anybody to buy at those prices.

It isn't something that is essential to life.

Not like how the creep that became the CEO of the company that makes the EPI pens raised the price exponentially for no other purpose than to extort money from people with risk of anaphylactic shock.

Extortion when used as point 2 isn't about the item but the price being charged for it .. in this case its a gross overcharge regardless of what the item is, but if you can think of a better fitting word that conveys the same hatred for massive overpricing for the sake of profit, im happy to change the word.

Yea fuck that guy, I dont get the US medical system or prices for medicines. (I am assuming this was done in the US)

Reply 43105 of 52813, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I received this very nice condition specimen today, the mighty Radeon 9800 Pro complete in its box with everything included. For the price (~$115 USD) I just couldn't pass it up. It has high nostalgic value for me as this is the video card I rocked in my AMD Tbird 1.2 GHz PC through the peak of my 20s during the 2000s when PC gaming was pretty much my life. This is the last component I needed to finish recreating that PC, which I'll be showcasing in the system specs thread shortly.

20220308-214255.jpg
20220308-214321.jpg
20220308-214400.jpg
20220308-214422.jpg

Reply 43106 of 52813, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never snagged a Voodoo Rush (that I can remember) because they seemed like a waste of time even when new. The only reason I have a 5500 is because I purchased it new and luckily was too lazy to toss the box when I did a purge in 99).

I do have a Voodoo 4500 PCI because a scrapper gave me an old rig free a decade ago and it was inside. Forget what machine I put my Voodoo 3500 into which I purchased on ebay cheap with CD and cable (must be hard to find now).

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 43107 of 52813, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HanJammer wrote on 2022-03-08, 00:50:

I totally understand people were throwing out 90s clone PCs in the early 2000s - I don't understand same applied to Amigas as these were less popular, mostly used by fanatics as you called them and Commodore was already dead so they should be rather sought after even them... It's not like they could replace them with anything else...

This basically explains why these were thrown out as well.
I've been there, I dumpsterdived almost every single day (more like 5 or 6 days a week) and I saw it all, macintoshes, amigas, commodores and all the old brands that you can read about on VCF forums today. Virtually nobody in the early 2000s wanted such computers anymore except for that one single enthusiast (like me 😜)

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 43108 of 52813, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Unknown_K wrote on 2022-03-08, 20:01:
Tetrium wrote on 2022-03-08, 18:24:
Unknown_K wrote on 2022-03-07, 22:44:

A bunch of 5.25" 1.3GB internal and external drives, a couple 3.5" Fujitsu external 130MB? drives, a few 2.6GB 5.25" drives, and a 20+ disk 5.25" HP jukebox. I also have some IBM PS/2 WORM drives and media (rare).

I think that strange or uncommon media could deserve a thread of their own. Most of us know there's more out there than just 3.5in and 5.25in floppy drives, but there's countless more obscure ones. The subject does feel a little bit under-exposed here on vogons even though it could be seen as part of the retro experience.

I don't just collect MO drives, I have a bunch of different tape drives (DLT, AIT, Travan, QIC, DAT, LTO, etc) and removable media like ZIP, Jazz, Bournouli, Syquest 44mb, etc.

I have only some of the other removable drives and/or media. I do have a couple of those 44MB Syquest disks, but none of its drives. Even have a single floptical drive (the 21MB one) which is a SCSI unit.
I don't have many tape drives, if any.

I tried to focus on some of the more common ones like ZIP and LS-120 and even managed to gather several 2.88MB floppy drives along with plenty disks.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 43109 of 52813, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Brawndo wrote on 2022-03-09, 05:52:

I received this very nice condition specimen today, the mighty Radeon 9800 Pro complete in its box with everything included. For the price (~$115 USD) I just couldn't pass it up. It has high nostalgic value for me as this is the video card I rocked in my AMD Tbird 1.2 GHz PC through the peak of my 20s during the 2000s when PC gaming was pretty much my life. This is the last component I needed to finish recreating that PC, which I'll be showcasing in the system specs thread shortly.

That's wonderful. I have a very large collection of NVIDIA cards, but my selection from ATI is very small and I've been wanting add a 9800 Pro for some time. I think you got a good price on a boxed one there.

I already buy computer parts far too often, so I try to aim for lower priced items to give myself a wider selection to choose from. Occasionally I'll get a nice piece to add by making offers or spotting a listing before someone else does.

Reply 43110 of 52813, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-03-09, 07:34:
Brawndo wrote on 2022-03-09, 05:52:

That's wonderful. I have a very large collection of NVIDIA cards, but my selection from ATI is very small and I've been wanting add a 9800 Pro for some time. I think you got a good price on a boxed one there.

Another great card to get from the 9000 series is the 256mb 9600 XT, its just a good solid GPU much like the 9800 Pro/XT, they were just amazing cards for their time. Most went nVidia for compatibility but for DX9 with AA the 9000 series was top dog till nVidia released the 6000 series GeForce.

Reply 43111 of 52813, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been researching Radeon cards lately, yea. The problem is with how extensive my GeForce collection is that it's hard for me to justify spending even moderately for ATI when I already have comparable cards.

Reply 43112 of 52813, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-03-09, 07:52:

I've been researching Radeon cards lately, yea. The problem is with how extensive my GeForce collection is that it's hard for me to justify spending even moderately for ATI when I already have comparable cards.

I get ya, I only have a 9600XT due to it being one of my old GPUs that never got binned, somehow it survived all the purges over the years, the 9800 I have I bought recently.

But they are really the only ATI cards I have from that period, my next ATI cards are from the HD4000 era.

Reply 43113 of 52813, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been collecting a lot of Rage 128 cards, some Rage XLs, and a couple of Rage IIs. I think those are much more interesting in a collection, at least for the stuff I collect.

I did buy the FireGL equivalent of a 9700 Pro recently and found that the VIA motherboard I tried it in won't even POST with it, but my GeForce cards work fine. This is just more reason for me not to want more of these later Radeon cards.

Reply 43114 of 52813, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-03-09, 08:04:

I've been collecting a lot of Rage 128 cards, some Rage XLs, and a couple of Rage IIs. I think those are much more interesting in a collection, at least for the stuff I collect.

I saw Meatballs post earlier with a Fury MAXX in it .. I wonder how that card works ..is it a early form of SLI or does each chip work independent of the other ?

One day Ill spot one for a reasonable price and find out myself, its really the only early ATI card I find interesting enough to drop money on.

Reply 43115 of 52813, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I only ever came across a single Fury MAXX and it was dead as a doornail.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 43116 of 52813, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I actually have one of these that I'd bought years ago as a curiosity. Again, why didn't I buy a Voodoo 5 instead! But even if someone offered to trade me for it, I would still pause with great consideration. The Voodoo 5 is definitely more useful and functional. But the MAXX is very unique and much rarer.

There are a couple of videos on YouTube about it. Pixel Pipes did one where he talked about there being more than one revision, with different degrees of compatibility.

It's definitely a very odd relic, to be sure.

Last edited by Kahenraz on 2022-03-09, 08:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 43117 of 52813, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-03-09, 08:15:

I actually have one of these that I'd bought years ago as a curiosity. Again, why didn't I buy a Voodoo 5 instead! But even if someone offered to trade me for it, it'd have to pause and think about it. The Voodoo 5 is definitely more useful. But the MAXX is very unique and much rarer.

There are a couple of videos on YouTube about it. Pixel Pipes did one where he talked about there being more than one revision, with different degrees of compatibility.

It's definitely a very odd relic, to be sure.

Yea, I'm just curious about how the two GPUs worked together, its likely some ATI black magic fuckery they were right into that at the time trying out different methods and such.

Would make a great display piece too its a truly unique looking card for its time.

Reply 43118 of 52813, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2022-03-09, 08:15:

I only ever came across a single Fury MAXX and it was dead as a doornail.

I have come across two on eBay that the sellers claimed worked but they were both priced over 2000 USD, much like the odd PCX card I found that was priced close to 4k USD, I dont begin to understand why it was priced that high but it looked truly unique and I have never seen another one hit eBay since.