VOGONS

First post, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi. I have a machine with Voodoo3 PCI card and Windows 95b. Display is set at 800x600@32bit color depth. However, animated cursors are not working and are only showing their first frame.
In the mouse settings, if I click the question mark next to the mouse cursor display it says the animated cursor plays on display drivers that support it.
I can't believe that the latest Voodoo3 display drivers don't support animated cursors. Is there some secret registry value to force this somehow?

Cheers!

Reply 1 of 7, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Once upon a time, I was having trouble with the cursor, and I had to set Hardware Accelerated Cursor on or off in some file or reg key... foggy with the deets, sorry.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh man I forgot about animated cursors. I need to get some goofy themes up and running again! I agree it could be a problem with hardware cursor processing. This is why games sometimes allow you to disable hardware cursor.

Reply 4 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd think those hardware cursor options are more for 3d cards *COUGH*VOODOO2*COUGH* that can't do a hardware cursor over an accelerated surface (for not being a desktop accelerator) so the game emulates one within its own renderer. I think Voodoo3 even had problems with that feature

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh yeah that's true too. But aren't there some 2D / Directdraw games with hardware cursor options?

But I do think I remember tweaking video driver cursor settings to make Windows animated cursors work back in the olden times. And for other reasons like Windows cursor corruption.

Reply 7 of 7, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks STX, that KB was spot on. In my case my HDD was running in compatibility mode. After fiddling with my SATA connectors order, I was finally able to reach a configuration that made Win95 happy and run all HDDs and DVD drive at full performance. The side effect you get is animated cursors running again 😆 Who could guess!

So obviously my next step was to install Microsoft Plus! .. and hoo ray! Everything works great with themes and their animated cursors.