VOGONS

PowerVR Fun Thread

Topic actions

Reply 961 of 1104, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm running an Abit IC7-G with Pentium 4 3.2GHz Extreme Edition, so it's all a bit overpowered for the cards in it 😂

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 963 of 1104, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I searched archive.org for Xpert 2000 and not finding much. Will go on a bigger quest later

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 964 of 1104, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Righto, I tried the Win98(SE) 4.13.7192 drivers from https://soggi.org/drivers/ati.htm but as before they say "Severe" then say my card isn't compatible.

So I switched to the Beta drivers from that page 4.13.01.8006. They stated they need DirectX8 but I haven't installed that yet. They do install though and say they are 6.73-020627m-004761C-ATI. AGP Support in DxDiag is still "Not Available" but the drivers themselves say bus type is 1x to 4x AGP and current bus setting is 4X.

The graphics corruption in Johnny Herbert is now gone, and can be run with either PowerVR HAL (lots of issues in D3D!) or DirectDraw on ATI card. However, choosing D3D mode on ATI still crashes to desktop, so I suspect it's just badly programmed :-p the only way I could get video of it on YouTube was via PCem!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7XPCWsD4F8

Reply 965 of 1104, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What about here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20000303175349/ht … rs/drivers.html

This link takes you to the earliest appearance of the XPERT2000 (4.11.6263) drivers at ATI's site. If necessary, you can cycle forward through the dates to get a later driver until you find the one best for your situation.

Reply 966 of 1104, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've been wondering if some of my PCX2 non-starters are also Kyro related or driver related. like, I know i've ran Monster Truck Madness on a PCX2 a 1998 ago... and that's a first-gen Direct3D game! Since it involves engines and tires on circuits, maybe you can also look at that? 😜

Anyway, here's some amusing shots of Axis (Jamie, 2000-2001) on PCX2 (Techland SGL MiniGL)

Attachments

• axis16.png
    Filename
    axis16.png
    File size
    272.25 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • axis5.png
    Filename
    axis5.png
    File size
    263.59 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • axis14.png
    Filename
    axis14.png
    File size
    509.92 KiB
    Views
    File license

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 967 of 1104, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know MTM has run on a NeoMagic Magicgraph 128 as well, so it's not like it's got high standards.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 969 of 1104, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well mine did, must have been the 128XD, but it was only on the level of early S3 or Mach 64GT

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 970 of 1104, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-03-12, 18:56:

Well mine did, must have been the 128XD, but it was only on the level of early S3 or Mach 64GT

Must have been a software renderer.

Reply 971 of 1104, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You could still render 3D, since software renderers were very common at the time. But there there is no DirectX or OpenGL acceleration for this chip.

Last edited by Kahenraz on 2022-03-15, 03:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 972 of 1104, by JustJulião

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm glad I found a Verite V2100. One of the bests according to Gona's benchmark on Tomb Raider to be paired with a PCX2.
It will be listed in my benchmark.

Reply 973 of 1104, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My PowerVR D3D problem's definitely something about D3DIM. Even forcing DX6.1 on with 4.0.1 drivers don't do a thing about it, and neither does dropping the clocks and limiting to 32mb.

I'd assume it's a HAL conflict one way or another though (PMX2HAL.DLL vs PVRHAL32.DLL vs D3DIM.DLL). Newer D3D stuff works on PCX2, FWIW

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 974 of 1104, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"The original driver source code for the PowerVR Series 1 GPUs : Midas arcade, PCX1 and PCX2" dropped on github 15 days ago https://github.com/powervr-graphics/PowerVR-Series1

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 976 of 1104, by javispedro1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting. Seems to include sources for the D3D/DDraw driver under MIT license. I don't remember if there was a sample driver available for this. Not sure which pieces are missing, though. Can't find the Win9x VXD.

Reply 977 of 1104, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rasz_pl wrote on 2022-03-23, 12:41:

"The original driver source code for the PowerVR Series 1 GPUs : Midas arcade, PCX1 and PCX2" dropped on github 15 days ago https://github.com/powervr-graphics/PowerVR-Series1

Woohoo! This is great and (at least for me) totally unexpected.

For the most part, the SGL folder is the same SDK released previously by idspispopd here at VOGONS.
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … 431&menustate=0

but the extra PDFs and the driver sourcecode, we've never seen.

I wonder if we can talk them into releasing all hardware documentation on Midas arcade / PCX1 / PCX2 this way?

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 978 of 1104, by Tuxality

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great news indeed and totally unexpected. Yet, I've taken a sneak peek of the code and maybe I'm wrong on this one but it seems incomplete - for instance I was unable to trace VxD / vsgl code. Also too bad that the documentation was not released along with the driver (partial) source code...

Stiletto wrote on 2022-03-23, 21:59:

I wonder if we can talk them into releasing all hardware documentation on Midas arcade / PCX1 / PCX2 this way?

I've asked for this some years ago and they said that it was scattered and due to that they are unable to release such, but in the driver source code we can see that timestamps / copyrights were altered so maybe they are working on it and it may be released later? I sure hope so... 😀

Reply 979 of 1104, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is a similar problem with the source code available from 3dfx. There are files missing that are needed to compile the Windows 98 VxD and Windows 2000 kernel drivers.

While source code that is available may be interesting to examine, if it's not entirely useful if it can't be compiled fully. We would need to recruit someone with the experience necessary to reimplement what is missing.

For example, even though I can compile and modify foreign code, I know nothing about driver development and would he unable to supplement any of the missing dependencies.