VOGONS

First post, by Niark42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello

I lot the GPU for my project retro comptuer.
I have a very good computer for win 7 and xp, My objectif is a creating the best computer for win98 for a total compatibility and a best graphics.
I install win xp for lan met my brother in to newer games and I'm not looking for compatibility for Dos games (a another machine will be dedicated)

What would you advise me?
Unofficial drivers exist to support newer GPUs is this a good option?

Setup:
SOLTEK SL-75DRV5
CPU: AMD athlon XP 2400
sound card: Soundblaster live

GPU:
AGP
XGI Volari V3

ATI:
AGP
Sapphire 9600 pro, 9700pro
3D prophet 9600, 4000 XT

NVIDIA:
AGP
Palit FX 5600
MSI FX 5700 LE
fx5200
Gigabyte 7600 gs
xfx 7600gt

Last edited by Niark42 on 2022-03-13, 15:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also should point out 3d Prophet 4000 XT is a PowerVR, not an ATI 😀 If you want the best image quality on certain old 3d games eternally stuck in 16-bit color, there's that. ATI/Nvidia dither on the texturing which can accumulate, while PowerVR does it in post on a true color buffer.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 6, by Niark42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

oh ok thank you,
The 3D prophet 4000XT will be a good solution to mount a win98Se machine intended for older games and compatible DOS?

Regarding ATI, reading several posts I thought I understood that the cards were to be avoided for compatibility reasonstable fog and palletized textures?
And if I take ATI what would be the best version of drivers for compatibility?

Regarding games, it will be a platform to play the full potential of the win98Se environment and an alternative as a second pc for early xp games.
I'm thinking of building another setup from an ASUS P2B for early win98Se and DOS games