VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

MechWarrior 2 was one of the earliest 32-bit Windows game (Windows 9X era), released in 1995. The game also has a DOS version. With updates and changes to the Windows environment, the game becomes unplayable with newer versions of Windows. This thread aims to make the legend game playable on a native Windows environment. Currently, I aim to have the Pentium, Titanium and the Battlepack Editions in this thread; Battlepack having the most issues.

Additional credit goes to @ghotik_2002 who ported the required fixes to all NT platforms + the custom heap needed for Mercenaries 95, and Slug who actually created all the required fixes in 2008.

ALL-IN-ONE Installer

Download from:
Re: A comprehensive guide to install and play MechWarrior 2 on new versions on Windows.
OR use this
Re: A comprehensive guide to install and play MechWarrior 2 on new versions on Windows.

Insert your CD, run the batch file and go through the process. A desktop shortcut will be created with DxWnd shortcut and a parameter which should run the game directly. Note that for MechWarrior 2 31st Century Combat Pentium Edition, the game might be unstable on mission exits and launches which may freeze/crash it. This has been observed to be happening due to an incomplete hook from DxWnd; an easy way to mitigate this is to run the DxWnd program directly and launch the game from there.

Individual Installation

Pentium Edition/Windows 95

A) MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat Pentium Edition

The game uses a 16-bit InstallShield setup, which will fail to run on 64-bit Windows environments. On 32-bit versions of Windows, it should install just fine.

INSTALLATION

1. Insert the CD in your drive.
  2. Install WineVDM v0.8.1 or greater on your machine.
  3. Set "START.EXE" to run with Windows 95 compatibility settings from the Properties menu. On Windows 11 22H2 and later, this causes the program to malfunction. Consider replacing this step by installing the .sdb file using the .bat file from "mw2installerfixes.rar".
  4. Running "START.EXE", click on the 'INSTALL' button to start installation.
  5. After installation finishes, copy the "DPLAY.DLL" from the "DIRECTX" folder of the CD to the game directory. Alternatively, you can copy the "dplayx.dll" file from "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\" for a 64-bit OS or from "C:\Windows\System32\" for a 32-bit OS.
  6. Download and install the MechWarrior 2 v1.1 patch (This one seems to prevent a lot of corruptions and crashes).

If OTVDM is not supported (such as on Windows Vista x64, else NTVDM would be enough on x86), the only way to install the game is to copy all the files from the CD to a directory, and renaming "MECH2.EX_" to "MECH2.EXE", which is your executable. And then copying the "DPLAY.DLL" as explained earlier. But installing the patch would be troublesome, so search for an unpacked patch online or get the game installed and copied to the main PC from a VM.

RUNNING THE GAME

1. After installation finishes, download DxWnd v2.05.85 or greater (except v2.05.97).
  2. Download the attachment for the Pentium Edition (mech2patch.zip).
  3. Install the .sdb file given in the attachment using the .bat file. Open DxWnd and use import the profile given attachment. Set your executable path through DxWnd.

B) MechWarrior 2: Ghost Bear's Legacy Windows 95

The game uses a 16-bit InstallShield setup, which will fail to run on 64-bit Windows environments. On 32-bit versions of Windows, it should install just fine.

INSTALLATION

3. Running "START.EXE", click on the 'INSTALL' button to start installation.
  4. After installation finishes, copy the "DPLAY.DLL" from the "DIRECTX" folder of the CD to the game directory. Alternatively, you can copy the "dplayx.dll" file from "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\" for a 64-bit OS or from "C:\Windows\System32\" for a 32-bit OS.

If OTVDM is not supported (such as on Windows Vista x64, else NTVDM would be enough on x86), the only way to install the game is to copy all the files from the CD to a directory, and renaming "MECH2.EX_" to "MECH2.EXE", which is your executable. And then copying the "DPLAY.DLL" as explained earlier. But installing the patch would be troublesome, so search for an unpacked patch online or get the game installed and copied to the main PC from a VM.

RUNNING THE GAME

1. After installation finishes, download DxWnd v2.05.85 or greater (except v2.05.97).
  2. Download the attachment named TBA.
  3. Install the .sdb file given in the attachment using the .bat file. Open DxWnd and use import the profile given attachment. Set your executable path through DxWnd.

C) MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries Windows 95

INSTALLATION

3. Running "SPLASH.EXE", click on the 'INSTALL' button to start installation.
  4. After installation finishes, copy the "DPLAY.DLL" from the "DIRECTX" folder of the CD to the game directory. Alternatively, you can copy the "dplayx.dll" file from "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\" for a 64-bit OS or from "C:\Windows\System32\" for a 32-bit OS.

RUNNING THE GAME

2. Download the attachment named TBA.

Titanium Edition

A) MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat Titanium Edition

The game uses a 16-bit InstallShield setup, which will fail to run on a 64-bit Windows environment. On 32-bit versions of Windows, it should install just fine.

INSTALLATION

3. Set "Setup.exe" to run with Windows 95 compatibility settings from the Properties menu. On Windows 11 22H2 and later, this causes the program to malfunction. Consider replacing this step by installing the .sdb file using the .bat file from "mw2installerfixes.rar".
  4. Running "Setup.exe", click on the 'INSTALL' button to start installation.
  5. During installation, choose the "HARDWARE ACCELERATION" option which installs the Titanium Edition of the game.

RUNNING THE GAME

1. After installation finishes, download DxWnd v2.05.82 or greater (except 2.05.97).
  2. Rename "Mw2win.exe" to "Mw2tit.exe".
  3. Download the latest attachment named "mw2titpatchingV2.zip".
  4. Install the .sdb file given in the attachment. Open DxWnd and use import the profile given attachment. Set your executable path through DxWnd.
  5. If you want to use the Glide version of the game, you will need dgVoodoo2's "Glide2x.dll" (tested on v2.8.2) with 3Dfx card set to Voodoo Graphics.

B) MechWarrior 2: Ghost Bear's Legacy Titanium Edition

The game uses a 16-bit InstallShield setup, which will fail to run on a 64-bit Windows environment. On 32-bit versions of Windows, it should install just fine.

INSTALLATION

3. Set "Setup.exe" to run with Windows 95 compatibility settings from the Properties menu. On Windows 11 22H2 and later, this causes the program to malfunction. Consider replacing this step by installing the .sdb file using the .bat file from "mw2installerfixes.rar".
  5. During installation, choose the "HARDWARE ACCELERATION" option which installs the Titanium Edition of the game.

RUNNING THE GAME

1. After installation finishes, download DxWnd v2.05.82 or greater (except 2.05.97).
  2. Download the latest attachment named TBA.
  3. Install the .sdb file given in the attachment. Open DxWnd and use import the profile given attachment. Set your executable path through DxWnd.
  4. If you want to use the Glide version of the game, you will need dgVoodoo2's "Glide2x.dll" (tested on v2.8.2) with 3Dfx card set to Voodoo Graphics.

C) MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries Titanium Edition

INSTALLATION

RUNNING THE GAME

2. Download the latest attachment named TBA.
  3. Install the .sdb file given in the attachment. Open DxWnd and use import the profile given attachment. Set your executable path through DxWnd.
  4. If you want to use the Glide version of the game, you will need dgVoodoo2's "Glide2x.dll" (tested on v2.8.2) with 3Dfx card set to Voodoo Graphics.

If you are not having a bad day, then the games should start without a hitch. Double-click on the entry in DxWnd to launch the game.

Attachments

• Filename
    mw2titpatchingV2.rar
    File size
    1.12 KiB
    Downloads
    137 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    mech2patch.zip
    File size
    1.51 KiB
    Downloads
    300 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    mw2titpatching.zip
    File size
    1.28 KiB
    Downloads
    415 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by BEEN_Nath_58 on 2024-02-15, 09:04. Edited 17 times in total.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 1 of 272, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Update:

NOTE:

On Windows 8+ operating systems, a WinMM bug causes the game to run very fast. I will try investigating this problem, but I am not sure when the problem will go away. In fact, the problem already got solved but that brought in issues to the input system of the game. So ideally, the game will work best till Windows 7.

This issue has been fixed, and I will update the post to reflect more on it.

Reply 2 of 272, by ajacocks

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice work! I just saw a video on WineVDM on 64 bit windows, and here’s a GitHub repo for it:

https://github.com/otya128/winevdm

This should allow the execution of the 16 bit installer on 64 bit Windows.
- Alex

Reply 3 of 272, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ajacocks wrote on 2022-03-14, 13:44:
Nice work! I just saw a video on WineVDM on 64 bit windows, and here’s a GitHub repo for it: […]
Show full quote

Nice work! I just saw a video on WineVDM on 64 bit windows, and here’s a GitHub repo for it:

https://github.com/otya128/winevdm

This should allow the execution of the 16 bit installer on 64 bit Windows.
- Alex

This one requires WineVDM too, as in the original post. However the WineVDM had to be applied in a certain way such that the InstallShield Wizard doesn't stop the installation.

Reply 4 of 272, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nothing is consistent. As things were going good, the latest Microsoft update changed something and now the games won't work in fullscreen mode with Windows DirectX. So it is now required to enable the DirectX emulation in DxWnd.

Reply 5 of 272, by Carrera

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-04-11, 15:50:

Nothing is consistent. As things were going good, the latest Microsoft update changed something and now the games won't work in fullscreen mode with Windows DirectX. So it is now required to enable the DirectX emulation in DxWnd.

Welcome to the world of Cloud where the computer based on inputs from someone thousands of miles/kilometers away decides what is best for you....
It will likely go back the other way in a few weeks/months...

Reply 6 of 272, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Carrera wrote on 2022-04-12, 09:23:

Welcome to the world of Cloud where the computer based on inputs from someone thousands of miles/kilometers away decides what is best for you....

I don't know, MS is adding to many secondary functionalities to Windows and causing revolutionary changes. Cloud can't, at least for the next 10 years here, overtake local PCs. At least you must feel a PC, that will go away someday just as digital content.

Reply 7 of 272, by Carrera

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-04-12, 11:01:
Carrera wrote on 2022-04-12, 09:23:

I don't know, MS is adding to many secondary functionalities to Windows and causing revolutionary changes. Cloud can't, at least for the next 10 years here, overtake local PCs. At least you must feel a PC, that will go away someday just as digital content.

We still need hardware of course but the software is being pulled out from under our feet.
I hate it when my computer behaves differently without me doing anything.

Reply 8 of 272, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I was able to run a 3Dfx version of MechWarrior 2 using dgVoodoo2 + DxWnd, but it is not perfect. As you can see in the screenshot, the HUD is not loaded and the Pause menu doesn't display either. The version I use is for Orchid Righteous 3D but I don't think the other 3Dfx versions differ much (if they).

Attachments

Reply 9 of 272, by PerryRhodan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Been_Nath_58, I see the latest dgVoodoo 2 now works a lot better with the 3dfx versions of Mechwarrior 2, the HUD now displays, but there's still some weird flashing/shimmering effect on the HUD. I've tried different settings in both dgVoodoo and DXWind without success. Maybe you'll have better success.

Reply 10 of 272, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PerryRhodan wrote on 2022-07-03, 12:35:

Hi Been_Nath_58, I see the latest dgVoodoo 2 now works a lot better with the 3dfx versions of Mechwarrior 2, the HUD now displays, but there's still some weird flashing/shimmering effect on the HUD. I've tried different settings in both dgVoodoo and DXWind without success. Maybe you'll have better success.

Read here
Re: MechWarrior 2 3Dfx Edition doesn't load HUD in mission as well as pause menu

Reply 11 of 272, by bestreducer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

titanium edition works good on win10, with huge fps and good visuals(except resolution). music works only in missions.

in addition to instriction above, it needs to set win95/98 compatibility to mech2tit.exe in Properties window(avoid initial freeze), and add tweak SlowDownExceptions(options->expert mode; modify->Tweaks tab) at dxwind instance.
ingame scroll is screwed so I configured controls with editing GAMEKEY.MAP - primary controls, and inputw.map - user controls (not as simple as primary 🤣). I also used 3rd party remapper to configure wasd - key remapper or autohotkey script. just these 4 keys, they cant be set in gamekey.map

mercenaries works same (simply renaming mw2mercs to mw2tit helps to install startup fix). they were going very laggy for me with dosbox, thanks C:

p.s.: sry if bad english)

Last edited by bestreducer on 2022-10-29, 09:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 272, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bestreducer wrote on 2022-10-28, 10:29:
titanium edition works good on win10, with huge fps and good visuals(except resolution). music works only in missions. […]
Show full quote

titanium edition works good on win10, with huge fps and good visuals(except resolution). music works only in missions.

in addition to instriction above, it needs to set win95/98 compatibility to mech2tit.exe in Properties window(avoid initial freeze), and add tweak SlowDownExceptions(options->expert mode; modify->Tweaks tab) at dxwind instance.
ingame scroll is screwed so I configured controls with editing GAMEKEY.MAP - primary controls, and INPUT.MAP - user controls (not as simple as primary 🤣).

mercenaries works same (simply renaming mw2mercs to mw2tit helps to install startup fix). they were going very laggy for me with dosbox, thanks C:

p.s.: sry if bad english)

Yes I need to add the SlowDownExceptions tweak, I forgot to change here. Thanks for noticing.

Regarding the initial freeze, the .sdb file should fix it. The .sdb file installs one of the Win95 compatibility shim - IgnoreScheduler.

Reply 14 of 272, by bestreducer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Carrera wrote on 2022-10-28, 12:48:

Thanks.
Which 3d version of Titanium did you play?

direct3d, got from comments in REMOVED. Used dgvoodoo for better graphics, but menus worked only in windowed mode (alt+enter). 3dfx graphics don't seem to work

Reply 16 of 272, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I found another issue, at least in the Titanium Edition autorun installer. The installer is crashing, since my 22H2 install, with a fault module directing to winmmbase.dll. It can be mitigated by copying the CD to the HDD and installing from there, but I am wonder what changed by copying to HDD. Some permissions, (maybe?), but permissions also existed on 21H2 of Win11 too.

Edit: Looks like the problem is from the compatibility modes (not shims) and the PCA feature. When you select the 75 shims separately instead of directly selecting Win95 compatibility, you will bypass the problem, but this won't help with the InstallShield crash later. Let me find something better...

Edit-2: I performed an ACT glitch, and it makes the Win95 mode work?!?

Reply 17 of 272, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-11-01, 05:47:

I found another issue, at least in the Titanium Edition autorun installer. The installer is crashing, since my 22H2 install, with a fault module directing to winmmbase.dll. It can be mitigated by copying the CD to the HDD and installing from there, but I am wonder what changed by copying to HDD. Some permissions, (maybe?), but permissions also existed on 21H2 of Win11 too.

Edit: Looks like the problem is from the compatibility modes (not shims) and the PCA feature. When you select the 75 shims separately instead of directly selecting Win95 compatibility, you will bypass the problem, but this won't help with the InstallShield crash later. Let me find something better...

Edit-2: I performed an ACT glitch, and it makes the Win95 mode work?!?

Ok so I found a good workaround but I don't have an explanation. It needs the Win95 mode, true, but also the Run as administrator setting enabled too! I don't know what change that setting made, because Win95 mode always has admin privileges on Win10/11.

Reply 18 of 272, by Alexshvd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-03-05, 08:14:
INSTALLATION […]
Show full quote

INSTALLATION

3. Set "Setup.exe" to run with Windows 95 compatibility settings from the Properties menu.

Thank you, sir! It finally works. I wish one day someone could make a perfect portable version for Windows 10/11 where you can select different graphic emulation options and play native, without dxwnd and other software.

Reply 19 of 272, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Alexshvd wrote on 2023-06-29, 14:44:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-03-05, 08:14:
INSTALLATION […]
Show full quote

INSTALLATION

3. Set "Setup.exe" to run with Windows 95 compatibility settings from the Properties menu.

Thank you, sir! It finally works. I wish one day someone could make a perfect portable version for Windows 10/11 where you can select different graphic emulation options and play native, without dxwnd and other software.

There is an absolute proxy method, where you have to copy some DLLs and let the game hook into any of the DLL and work. The problem here is the method works for ddraw, d3d8, d3d9, dinput, etc and the game primarily reads gdi32 or kernel32 at startup, and also from System directories. So this is an impossibility.

The second method should work, after installing the game and copying the dplay.dll to folder, and installing the .sdb file:

Copy
DxWnd folder/dxwnd.exe
DxWnd folder/dxwnd.dll
DxWnd folder/dxwplay.dll
DxWnd folder/disasm.dll
DxWnd folder/libogg.dll
DxWnd folder/libvorbis.dll
DxWnd folder/libvorbisfile.dll
DxWnd folder/proxy/winmm.rar/winmm.dll (it is password protected: "winmm")

to your game folder.

Open dxwnd.exe from there and import the .dxw file, and set Path to your MECH2.exe. Create a shortcut for dxwnd.exe, go to its shortcut properties, the Target should look like this: "..../dxwnd.exe". After the quotations, put a space and paste "/Q /R:1" without the quotations.

Now double clicking on the shortcut should directly start the game. You can change the shortcut icon and all to make it look like an authentic DxWnd-free game.

Note that the game may not be as stable as launching from DxWnd is, maybe because some of the custom heap processes are omitted in this direct method, but you can try yourself to see if it works fine enough.