VOGONS

First post, by Blavius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found an Ageia Physx card for sale on my local craigslist for 30 euro's. Compared to the $184 being asked on greedbay it's a steal, but I'm a bit on the fence if its even worth the 30 honestly. The list of games that support the hardware Physx cards (so, not running on a GPU) is meager, and for most of those also seem to work with the later GPU implementation.
I remember geeking out over it when it came out (2005), but as a cash strapped student I couldn't afford one. Does anyone have one of these in their retro rig? Do you get any use out of it?

Reply 3 of 35, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AFAIK, all games that supported hardware PhysX work perfectly with the GPU (CUDA) and CPU implementation and Nvidia stripped the PhysX APU code from their driver a few years after the Ageia buyout, so the card is only useful in a "Let me see what it can do in a souped-up period authentic PC build!" way, which means you put it in an XP/Vista rig that uses the drivers/software from said time period.

Reply 4 of 35, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-03-15, 21:49:

It’s a collectors item, not worth 30euro.

That's the whole point. If he wants a toy, probably utterly useless and boring.
As an investment, I'd rather buy those than some painting.

I remember, the PhysX card made quite a buzz back then for such a short-lived idea. They're not going to be tomorrow's voodoo cards, but a curiosity for sure.

Then again I know very little about them and jack shit about art.

They move for 50 in auctions, declared as "parts only"
https://www.ebay.de/itm/BFG-Tech-PhysX-AGEIA- … 7-/133972066044

I like jumpers.

Reply 6 of 35, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-03-15, 23:27:

Heh I do own one myself but didn’t pay 30 euro for it, today I wouldn’t bother with it for more than 10 bucks.

Neither would I - I only make these vague "future market assessments" for stuff I actually want myself so at least I won't overspend on totally worthless junk. Zero sum game, at least.

Also, be careful with any kind of speculation. As it feels in Berlin these days, we're roughly one international crisis away from "nothing is worth anything any more except if you can eat it or readily trade it for food and maybe transport it in your guts until then" - reducing economies to very few entities that aren't gold, potatoes or Lucky Strike.
Sounds dramatic, but my father is still allive and he has been there.

I like jumpers.

Reply 7 of 35, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I’d like to have one, but it would do nothing for anything that I play or do.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 8 of 35, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't see any practical reason to put it in retro rig. Performance is weak and dedicated Nvidia GPU would be a much better solution for PhysX.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 9 of 35, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If nothing else it's a guaranteed conversation stopper...

PartyMom: But my third was terrible, they gave me the epidural, but I was still screaming my head off....
You: I have an Ageia Physx card.
*silence*

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 10 of 35, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-03-16, 02:22:
If nothing else it's a guaranteed conversation stopper... […]
Show full quote

If nothing else it's a guaranteed conversation stopper...

PartyMom: But my third was terrible, they gave me the epidural, but I was still screaming my head off....
You: I have an Ageia Physx card.
*silence*

I'm going to buy one now just so I can do this.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 12 of 35, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There used to be an inclomplete list of games that support hardware accelerated physx and wether they used the GPU, PPU or both. I can't find it on Wikipedia any longer. Here's an archived version: http://web.archive.org/web/20201112004018/htt … d_PhysX_support

Reply 13 of 35, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it'll be worth something once there's a tuber talking about it on a slow news day.

Grab it for the novelties of:

- CellFactor
- Those exclusive physx UT3 levels
- gooeyblood Borderlands 2
- Batmans/"Bitch!!"mans Arkham Asylum/City
- Nvidia driver sabotages for ATI/AMD users

Last edited by leileilol on 2022-03-16, 05:25. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 14 of 35, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote on 2022-03-16, 05:21:

it'll be worth something once there's a tuber talking about it on a slow news day.

There's already an LTT video about Ageia Physx cards.
Wrong influencer probably.😅

Reply 15 of 35, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Unknown_K wrote:

Does the PCIE 2x card work better than the PCI one?

PCIE 1x. Probably somewhat better, but not drastically. Also 256 Mb versions which may or may not help with later PhysX titles.

Reply 16 of 35, by Blavius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for thinking with me. So basically, this thing only makes sense as:
a.) a collectible piece of history, that might yield me the equivalent of a McDonalds meal in profit am I ever to sell it, and IF we don't end up with WW3, or
b.) a novelty with a sliver of practical value in an awfully specific rig that is both powerful enough to run the few games supporting the card, but not so powerful that it needs drivers that do not support the PhysX card anymore.

Against better judgement I made an offer for the card, they don't come around often and it seems like fun to try and make it work in my P4. Let's see if I get it or if there is a greater fool that outbids me 😜

Reply 17 of 35, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Blavius wrote on 2022-03-16, 08:14:
Thanks for thinking with me. So basically, this thing only makes sense as: a.) a collectible piece of history, that might yield […]
Show full quote

Thanks for thinking with me. So basically, this thing only makes sense as:
a.) a collectible piece of history, that might yield me the equivalent of a McDonalds meal in profit am I ever to sell it, and IF we don't end up with WW3, or
b.) a novelty that only has a sliver of practical value in an awfully specific rig that is both powerful enough to run the few games supporting the card, but not so powerful that it needs drivers that do not support the PhysX card anymore.
Against better judgement I made an offer for the card, let's see if I get it or if there is a greater fool that outbids me 😜

Again, judging from the list of games that support hardware accelerated Physx it appears there are some PPU-only titles.
The question is wether you ever want to play those.😅

Reply 18 of 35, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The question is wether you ever want to play those.

Ghost Recon is decent enough.

Reply 19 of 35, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have only a single one and only because someone I was buying stuff from asked me if I wanted it.
Can't remember if I actually paid anything for it but probably not. It didn't come with a bracket and it's an ASUS branded one and I don't remember more.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!