VOGONS

Reply 2640 of 3172, by jaca_kk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
640K!enough wrote on 2022-01-28, 03:34:
jaca_kk wrote on 2022-01-27, 14:44:

Does the IW78C21M1 part number determine a masked ROM for GUS?

Yes, that holds the ROM-based 1-MiB instrument bank. To my knowledge, there is only one version of that ROM; at least, on every board that has been mentioned here, the ROM contents have been verified to be exactly the same. If another version was ever released, nobody here has ever mentioned it. If you search this thread, you will find the exact UTSource page from which a number of participants have sourced the original ROM. At least so far, nobody has complained of defective chips or different/corrupt content, so as long as the part is still available, that should be a good source.

Thanks a lot for your explanation. The only link I found in this thread didn't work anymore, but they still offer used ROMs -> https://www.utsource.net/itm/p/457141.html
I bought some AM78C201AKC chips on eBay but they got expensive - with import taxes I paid around $30 (USD) for one pcs.
I'm going to design my own low-profile version of the card with built-in DRAM, four 16Mbit (4Mx4) ICs - 8MB total as everything has to be squeezed and also pay some extra attention to the quality of analog part and power supply. I can post this project in the future if anyone would be interested, but I suppose it will take time as this is just my hobby.

Reply 2641 of 3172, by kikipcs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jaca_kk wrote on 2022-01-28, 08:43:

Thanks a lot for your explanation. The only link I found in this thread didn't work anymore, but they still offer used ROMs -> https://www.utsource.net/itm/p/457141.html
I bought some AM78C201AKC chips on eBay but they got expensive - with import taxes I paid around $30 (USD) for one pcs.
I'm going to design my own low-profile version of the card with built-in DRAM, four 16Mbit (4Mx4) ICs - 8MB total as everything has to be squeezed and also pay some extra attention to the quality of analog part and power supply. I can post this project in the future if anyone would be interested, but I suppose it will take time as this is just my hobby.

Definitely do post your project!

What a time to live in - you folks make me think that I might actually get a good GUS in my lifetime 😁

Best of luck!

Reply 2642 of 3172, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kikipcs wrote on 2022-01-29, 22:39:

What a time to live in - you folks make me think that I might actually get a good GUS in my lifetime 😁

Unless things change again after the Chinese New Year, the AM78C201KC from utsource might have dried up (no more direct orders, just inquiry option left - which at least for the AKCs always resulted in 'no stock').
I've already put in an inquiry, but no high hopes.

Reply 2643 of 3172, by jaca_kk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MJay99 wrote on 2022-01-29, 23:01:
kikipcs wrote on 2022-01-29, 22:39:

Unless things change again after the Chinese New Year, the AM78C201KC from utsource might have dried up (no more direct orders, just inquiry option left - which at least for the AKCs always resulted in 'no stock').
I've already put in an inquiry, but no high hopes.

I was trying to buy there just about 2-3 weeks ago, they said "out of stock" 🙁

Reply 2644 of 3172, by polpo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A bit off topic, but at the 24 Hours of Daytona race last weekend, there was a car with what looks like the GUSar logo, just with the S in a different position. I’m wondering if the GUSar Lite sound card logo is referencing some company I’ve never heard of. The car is run by a Russian team, so I wonder if it’s a Russian company…

5157B4F9-22FC-41E5-BB52-7B602F76AD71.jpeg
Filename
File size
306.3 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2645 of 3172, by kikipcs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
polpo wrote on 2022-01-31, 15:51:

A bit off topic, but at the 24 Hours of Daytona race last weekend, there was a car with what looks like the GUSar logo, just with the S in a different position. I’m wondering if the GUSar Lite sound card logo is referencing some company I’ve never heard of. The car is run by a Russian team, so I wonder if it’s a Russian company…

What looks to be a "valve manufacturer"...

https://gusarm.com/news/index.php?PAGEN_1=2

Reply 2646 of 3172, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kikipcs wrote on 2022-02-01, 10:31:
polpo wrote on 2022-01-31, 15:51:

What looks to be a "valve manufacturer"...

https://gusarm.com/news/index.php?PAGEN_1=2

Hmmm... "Russian"... "Valve"... 🤔

tf2-heavy.jpg
Filename
tf2-heavy.jpg
File size
46.53 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2647 of 3172, by pumpumcity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
shock__ wrote on 2015-02-18, 21:09:

Current status: This project is closed to previous donors for now - No exceptions, no need to ask via E-Mail/PM or the like.
A first batch of the final run has been produced and is being delivered. More batches/orders will follow within the next weeks/months. Keep watching the thread for updates - at worst you will be contacted (you won't lose your slots)

Any new updates on the progress? I am very interested in purchasing one unit. Is it still possible to place the pre-order ?

Reply 2648 of 3172, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No pre-orders and ooops ... I guess the "few months" have been almost/over a year again.

I'm currently meditating some alternative roadways since -i want to be honest there- this project has been a crawl since forever and I don't exactly see it take off any time soon - if someone wants to take over the production and logistics at a small margin (we'd define before hand) and can prove to be trustworthy I can see a run still happening, otherwise not so much. This is mostly what has been holding me back apart from minor personal things.

My current idea is to release the gerber files for production (with an explicit wish/silkscreen to remain financially accessible [instead of "non commercial"]) and sell off a larger quantity of the remaining stock I have and keep a limited amount for myself. Previous donors/supporters will have the option to have their remaining credit in InterWave ICs shipped (just shipping costs need to be covered) or get a 25% refund of their donation if they wish (afterall pretty much all of the donations has been used up and I made no money from this). Any input on this approach?

Also hoorj (I guess), this project got its' own video on LGR today.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 2649 of 3172, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

maybe an idea for dreamblaster / serdashop ?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2650 of 3172, by Starius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I'd definitely be interested in getting one of these cards also. But I understand the limited nature of this project.
Would some kind of crowdsource campaign for a batch be viable? Or is that biting off more than what anyone wants to chew?

Reply 2651 of 3172, by Synoptic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shock__ wrote on 2022-03-14, 17:00:
No pre-orders and ooops ... I guess the "few months" have been almost/over a year again. […]
Show full quote

No pre-orders and ooops ... I guess the "few months" have been almost/over a year again.

I'm currently meditating some alternative roadways since -i want to be honest there- this project has been a crawl since forever and I don't exactly see it take off any time soon - if someone wants to take over the production and logistics at a small margin (we'd define before hand) and can prove to be trustworthy I can see a run still happening, otherwise not so much. This is mostly what has been holding me back apart from minor personal things.

My current idea is to release the gerber files for production (with an explicit wish/silkscreen to remain financially accessible [instead of "non commercial"]) and sell off a larger quantity of the remaining stock I have and keep a limited amount for myself. Previous donors/supporters will have the option to have their remaining credit in InterWave ICs shipped (just shipping costs need to be covered) or get a 25% refund of their donation if they wish (afterall pretty much all of the donations has been used up and I made no money from this). Any input on this approach?

Hey Shock, did you ger my PM ?

Reply 2652 of 3172, by Dr.Yak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Would be interested in getting a card, too.
So I would be happy if somebody (e.g. serdashop) takes over production/logistics and helps selling them.
(Hopefully, at least partially assembled: my soldering skill are poor, I'd be limited to through-hole component, I'd need to find help if surface mounted component aren't pre-assembled).

Reply 2656 of 3172, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shock__ wrote on 2022-03-14, 17:00:

I just saw this today and came to share. 😀

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWeWGiMYwsE

I sold my UltraSound Classic some time ago and deeply regret it.

Reply 2657 of 3172, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

sorry that I will have to ask this again - but there was a mouser basket with needed parts at some point posted on the thread? do I remember this correctly?
if someone knows the link please share it again, I need to finally make some cards I agreed to assemble long ago but I completely forgotten all about until now 🙁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2658 of 3172, by terryfi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The companies selling commercial products charge in range hundred dollars for a simpler/cheaper to manufacture boards (e.g. wavetable daughterboards), so they probably like to sell this product for couple of hundred dollars, 300 and up.
I really hope some of folks here pull up their sleeves and do the non-commercial release/production. The target of 200 USD final cost is reasonable IMO

Reply 2659 of 3172, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote on 2022-03-16, 16:53:

sorry that I will have to ask this again - but there was a mouser basket with needed parts at some point posted on the thread? do I remember this correctly?

You can find it in this post:
Re: Newly made Gravis Ultrasound compatible cards ... what's the degree of interest?