VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kirben

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Are there any projects around for complete preservation of game manuals for older DOS games? I mean actually converting game manuals to digital formats, with color artwork, proper pages (no folds in middle), indexing and text search. Rather than just scanning the game manuals into a digital format.

The Museum of Computer Adventure Game History offers the best I can find, but their source materials are often flawed (writing inside).

Reply 1 of 6, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not that I know of. GoG manuals are usually good, but even they are not consistent. Like for example their Daggerfall manual is just a simple scan.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 3 of 6, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here are about 4000 PC (DOS/Windows) manuals. Mostly scans and native digital format:
http://www.replacementdocs.com/download.php?list.2

Archive.org also has game manuals, usually they come with crude machine-OCR-ed digital versions.
It can be a long way from a crude OCR to a polished and nicely readable digital document...

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 4 of 6, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can tell you that much, they do exist. Really perfect editions in PDF.

I have this for the original Master of Orion:

Filename
moo.pdf
File size
962.24 KiB
Downloads
76 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

(@moderator, I'm sharing this in good conscience as I own the printed original. Please remove if necessary, sorry.)

I like jumpers.

Reply 6 of 6, by doshea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found some good scans of manuals for Microprose games on scribd.com by user "remow", and it looks like they've scanned manuals from some other publishers too. They don't have a PDF table of contents or internal links, but the text is searchable and generally all the materials including maps have been scanned in colour.