VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 21 of 46, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I asked a random rich-kid gamer and he said no, it won't do 4K 120Hz so your eyes will bleed and you'll get cancer.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 22 of 46, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-03-16, 21:56:
Yeah, sorry bout that - just our emotionally stunted way of telling you "we don't have any bloody idea, the world is in shambles […]
Show full quote
chris2021 wrote on 2022-03-16, 21:46:

But no one has actually answered any of my questions. Only read the heading and went to town. Thundersnipes!

Yeah, sorry bout that - just our emotionally stunted way of telling you "we don't have any bloody idea, the world is in shambles, we're all afraid, it's the human condition."

But the upside of it, now I know what "Anthem" is in this context.
Maybe you should get a PS4?

How is such a suggestion meaningful, when I want to avoid spending any more money then I habe to??? I have the game, I possibly have sufficient hardware to run it. Are you demeaning Anthem? It seems like so much other crap out there. I may need help gauging what's silly and what's even sillier. It's all silliness.

Reply 23 of 46, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chris2021 wrote on 2022-03-16, 23:51:
Yeah, sorry bout that - just our emotionally stunted way of telling you "we don't have any bloody idea, the world is in shambles […]
Show full quote
chris2021 wrote on 2022-03-16, 21:46:

But no one has actually answered any of my questions. Only read the heading and went to town. Thundersnipes!

Yeah, sorry bout that - just our emotionally stunted way of telling you "we don't have any bloody idea, the world is in shambles, we're all afraid, it's the human condition."

How is such a suggestion meaningful, when I want to avoid spending any more money then I habe to??? I have the game, I possibly have sufficient hardware to run it. Are you demeaning Anthem? It seems like so much other crap out there. I may need help gauging what's silly and what's even sillier. It's all silliness.

TBH, I don't hold a great opinion of EA, but that's based on very narrow experience, so far be it from me to question your choice. The game is probably quite good.
Just try it out on that gtx 750 on lower settings and maybe look for some tweaks around here.
I like the idea of reviving that mining card with a socket, if that works. HDMI should not be too complicated to attach. Have fun!

I like jumpers.

Reply 24 of 46, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a feeling it's only Vulkan stuff works like that, unless you have GPU of same manufacturer like AMD onboard and AMD headless.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 25 of 46, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It was a rhetorical question. I was venting frustration. And if anyone thinks I'm unaffected by what's going on in the world, well ask yourself how many days you spent entirely w/o food in the last 3 weeks. I can count 3.

Reply 26 of 46, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-03-17, 00:03:
TBH, I don't hold a great opinion of EA, but that's based on very narrow experience, so far be it from me to question your choic […]
Show full quote
chris2021 wrote on 2022-03-16, 23:51:

TBH, I don't hold a great opinion of EA, but that's based on very narrow experience, so far be it from me to question your choice. The game is probably quite good.
Just try it out on that gtx 750 on lower settings and maybe look for some tweaks around here.
I like the idea of reviving that mining card with a socket, if that works. HDMI should not be too complicated to attach. Have fun!

Yea the Zotac p106-90 is effectively their gtx 1060 w/o video capabilities and different firmware. I think I was able to source the actual gtx 1060 firmware. Ve vill see.

Reply 27 of 46, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is a LTT video on that mining P106, check it out if you haven't.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 28 of 46, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have. Which is where I got the.idea to install connectors, though that's not what was done in the video. The card iirc they used was a gigabyte. And using the stock mining firmware.

Reply 29 of 46, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are some shortages of crucial raw materials and you can expect that prices could go even crazier, not only for GPUs. So yeah, no good news within next 2 years and that's optimistically speaking. Keep collecting old hardware, I guess.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 31 of 46, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sad truth: Never. Get used to buying APUs for mainstream GPUs in the near future.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 32 of 46, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote on 2022-03-17, 08:00:

Sad truth: Never. Get used to buying APUs for mainstream GPUs in the near future.

I used to buy second hand graphics cards when wanting to upgrade my main rig, but ever since the whole GPU mining thing started I haven't even bothered upgrading anymore and will just stick to what my current hardware can run.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 33 of 46, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-03-16, 02:02:
Actually kinda hard to call. […]
Show full quote

Actually kinda hard to call.

On the lower end...
https://www.techpowerup.com/291779/8-inch-waf … says-trendforce
But some GPUs might need all those chips to be complete, voltage regulators and other glue.

Then governments around the world, Italy, Canada, others started throwing millions around for home grown semiconductor capacity, but that will take a few years to ramp.

On the other hand, it's said that the chip shortage is not even about Covid or anything like that it's pure demand ramping hugely, which when you think of how much GPU like power is going into cars that can do half the driving for you or just so far bill their tech as safety assists, then each car might be needing the equivalent of a dozen GPU worth these days. When you see that the major foundries have in fact increased production 8% quarter on quarter through the whole plague since early 2019 then it looks like that's just a convenient scapegoat for planning failures.

However, I remember something a bit like this happening in early 2013, where it was said 22 nanometer was delayed was delayed for general purpose (RAM gets there early) and there was one or two highly oversubscribed foundries just managing to kick a few wafers out as they had tune up problems, then over the summer intel got their crap together, then everyone and their dog had been busting ass getting their 22nm ready then by the end of 2013 there was almost too much capacity and it was selling for a quarter the price expected for "latest node" then 14nm came online pretty darn quick afterwards really. They run that crap on boom/bust cycles. Same thing might be happening now, everybody throwing money at fab thinking they'll make a mint if they're first, they all arrive in a "peleton" (damn that word has got damaged lately) and suddenly there's 75% off your first 10,000 wafers coupons on your cornflakes box.

Edit: damn I meant to throw this in somewhere, showing we've got a minor opportunity for mid end at the moment... https://www.techpowerup.com/292702/graphics-c … ally-affordable

Ever since this whole GPU mining thingy and the entire mediacircus surrounding it started, it all just seems like a big joke.

Then we've got Intel bringing out it's i740 Mark IIs in May and June and there might be some discounting by AMD and NVidia to try and get your money before Intel does, whether they turn out good or not... then if they're even halfway decent it will be a bit of a battle for your wallet.

Finally! After all those delays I can't wait to see what the Intel Eiffel 6500 will bring to the table xD (2 more weeks for anyone who can guess what I'm talking about 😜)

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 34 of 46, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Someone suggested getting a ps4. I'll do me one better, get a ps5. Allegedly the h/w is pretty powerful for the money. But apparently now is not the time to buy. Not being a hard core gamer, in reality not even a gamer, I'm not going to buy one. Besides I'm a freedom type of guy. Any h/w or s/w that's going to impinge on my freedoms is a huge buzzkill.

Reply 35 of 46, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think emulating PS4 and 5 will take all that long and with less overhead. As far as I'm aware there is nothing so weird about their hardware as there were with the PS3. And the PS4 was never all that powerful compared to PCs even when it released. The Switch got emulated fairly quickly (being barely more than an Nvidia Tegra tablet). Yuzu got its first release around a year after the Switch.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 36 of 46, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Apparently you can install Linux on PS4, so it's useful.

As far as I'm aware there is nothing so weird about their hardware as there were with the PS3.

Well, tell that to Xbox Classic emulation, which was basically just a gimped PIII system with GeForce 3.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 37 of 46, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-03-17, 10:43:

As far as I'm aware there is nothing so weird about their hardware as there were with the PS3.

Well, tell that to Xbox Classic emulation, which was basically just a gimped PIII system with GeForce 3.

For some reason people never really touched Xbox emulation. Was there ever an effort regarding Xbox emulation? X360 emulation 'exists', but doesn't seem to have any focus. Though Xbox consoles often became some of the best home brew platforms.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 38 of 46, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-03-17, 10:43:

Apparently you can install Linux on PS4, so it's useful.

Linux but not (easily) windows. If you need to get something done, and don't have the time to figure out how to do it with Linux, or are frustrated by it's idiosyncrasies, windows is the way to go. We all know it.

Apparently there's a hack to get w98 running on an orig xbox. Haven't tried it yet. I bought 2 initially intending to use them as 32 bit linux workstations. Admittedly it's probably more straitforward to install linux. But I like having maximum options.

The ps4 seems cool. No space in my head for all that right now.

Reply 39 of 46, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's really no reason to buy a PS4 if you can buy a 5600G APU. A PS5 or XBOX Series S make a lot of sense though.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.