VOGONS

First post, by StopNot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I have a HP Vectra 6.VE/333 (model d6561a) that has a matrox G400 agp graphics card. When I try to start up I only get beeps and no signal. There are two sets of beeps. First one is super quick three beep set where the first beep is a bit longer than the others and there are no pauses in between. The second set is eight beeps which I believe means there is some wrong with the graphics card. I tested the setup with s3 video card and everything works. Although the s3 is a pci card. AMI bios version seems to be 1.16. The HP I believe is from 1998 and the matrox card is from 1999. Now I wonder if the matrox card is dead or could it have something to do with bios or something else?

Ps. I posted another question about the HP setup here: HP Vectra Specs Needed

Reply 1 of 9, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is a thread about Matrox G200 cards and maybe G400 around here having dead BIOS's. Some utility or flash or something, in any case can you boot the PC with both video cards in using the S3 card connected to your display? If you have a Video initialization priority in the bios set it to PCI. If that works you should be able to sort out the G400 bios fairly easily if that is indeed the issue.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 2 of 9, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Search for Matrox BIOS and PINS recovery. There was official utility for PIN recovery, and some threads here and other forums with non-official methods.

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 3 of 9, by StopNot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ODwilly wrote on 2022-03-18, 07:37:

There is a thread about Matrox G200 cards and maybe G400 around here having dead BIOS's. Some utility or flash or something, in any case can you boot the PC with both video cards in using the S3 card connected to your display? If you have a Video initialization priority in the bios set it to PCI. If that works you should be able to sort out the G400 bios fairly easily if that is indeed the issue.

I don't have a "video initialization priority" -setting in BIOS but I can boot the PC with both cards in. I'll search for the bios fix. Thanks.

Reply 4 of 9, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Before concluding the card is dead or its firmware is corrupted, please clean up the AGP port. Can be bad contact due to dust or corrosion. Then try again. If the video card is vanilla (manufactured by HP) and I think so. The BIOS is a custom HP one and it is recognized by the BIOS of the MB. The BIOS should display the model number, name and the memory installed on the board. If you start with both cards installed, but with the screen plug into the S3, what happens?
You can also try to reset the BIOS. As I said in your "HP Vectra Specs Needed" thread photos are welcome. But to clear the CMOS, there should be a red switch bank with one switch "CLEAR CMOS" to put On for several seconds.
And if everything failed to get it pass POST, then you can consider a problem with the electronics.

Knowing things is great. Understanding things is better. Creating things is even better.

Reply 5 of 9, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings!

You shouldn't have to report those beeps or assume their meaning. There are a few sets of them around, look up their precise meaning. "Ami bios POST codes" or something like that.

Also, if it's not about the quest itself for you (which would be perfectly legitimate): G400s are everywhere, so don't despair over it! 😉

I like jumpers.

Reply 6 of 9, by StopNot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-03-18, 11:08:

Greetings!

You shouldn't have to report those beeps or assume their meaning. There are a few sets of them around, look up their precise meaning. "Ami bios POST codes" or something like that.

Also, if it's not about the quest itself for you (which would be perfectly legitimate): G400s are everywhere, so don't despair over it! 😉

Yes. As I mentioned the eight beeps did indeed mean there was something wrong with the video card. I mentioned the beeps because there is no explanation anywhere what the first three beeps are. In my case those beeps meant nothing apparently.

Reply 7 of 9, by StopNot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Datadrainer wrote on 2022-03-18, 10:05:

Before concluding the card is dead or its firmware is corrupted, please clean up the AGP port. Can be bad contact due to dust or corrosion. Then try again. If the video card is vanilla (manufactured by HP) and I think so. The BIOS is a custom HP one and it is recognized by the BIOS of the MB. The BIOS should display the model number, name and the memory installed on the board. If you start with both cards installed, but with the screen plug into the S3, what happens?
You can also try to reset the BIOS. As I said in your "HP Vectra Specs Needed" thread photos are welcome. But to clear the CMOS, there should be a red switch bank with one switch "CLEAR CMOS" to put On for several seconds.
And if everything failed to get it pass POST, then you can consider a problem with the electronics.

Probably should also have mentioned that I did all the basic stuff from cleaning to BIOS tricks. I don't think these old vectras has g400 by default. So I think the original g100/g200 was upgraded. Anyway the problem is now solved. I'll write a conclusion next. Thanks.

Reply 8 of 9, by StopNot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks to everyone for giving tips how to proceed with the g400. I managed to fix the issue. After searching for a while I found a recovery tool from the matrox website.

If anyone has a similar issue, try this:
1) navigate here -> https://www.matrox.com/ct/video/apps/drivers/ … s/ftp_util2.php
2) get the "restore bios" tool located at the very bottom of the list
3) download includes the necessary instructions on how to proceed

Reply 9 of 9, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great. I like when a problem is solved 😀

For information, some Vectra VE & VL had Matrox G400 and G450. G200 were mainly used on-board. Never seen one as a card. But as I said there was many variations...

Knowing things is great. Understanding things is better. Creating things is even better.